IGNORED

Crossing Nevada

Calvin  (no socks)

Calvin  (no socks)

Ok, I have done some desert conditions. Texas in June was ok, but Nevada in July, 2 up sounds extreme.. Particulary, from SLC to Reno. Also thinking of trip to the left coast, Topaz Lake to Sacremento to Bodega Bay area... anything I am missing? Should I plan on riding from 5am till noon?.... will we survive... should I rent a car? :grin:

My wife and I ended up in Salt Lake for a couple of days in July 2007 while the dealer replaced the final drive on my RT. Our next destination (to get back on our original "schedule") was San Francisco. Several folk at the dealership who had ridden to San Fran a number of times in the heat suggested departing SLC very early and spending the night in Winnemucca NV. We were so psyched we left SLC at 3:30 a.m. We were amazed at how hot and muggy it was at that time of the morning. Once we were west of the city we found it noticeably cooler and had to stop and put more gear on. Once the sun was up for a while it got hot quickly. We also forgot that we gained an hour when we got to Nevada. That and our very early departure meant we arrived at Winnemucca at 9:30 a.m., done for the day. That was a bit strange. With hindsight I'd say we did not need to leave so early, but I also don't think we would have wanted to ride all the way from SLC to San Francisco in the heat. Reno's about 150 miles past Winnemucca on I-80, so I'd think SLC to Reno would be doable with an early departure. Funny as it may sound, we actually enjoyed the very early morning ride through the desert.

Coming across the Great Basin is nowhere near as extreme as it is in the southern part of the state.

Altitude is higher, being above 4000' the entire way.

While it does get hot, typical is 90s.

Stay hydrated!

Mark, It does't sound funny to me at all.. I have found that the early AM in the desert is magical.. one must be aware of wild horses, donkeys and other critters. I remember one morning riding to Torrey , riding through a extremely large flock of birds feeding on insects.. I hit a few birds in the frinzy.. add to it the lighting strikes off in the distance... Magical

We've done that multiple times; to and from Gunnison, to and from Torrey. Yes, it's hot, but not a big deal. Coming from the heat and humidity of Florida, it shouldn't be a problem for you. As Mike says, stay hydrated. We prefer hwy 50; less traffic, and fewer big trucks.

If you're a morning person (I'm not), leave early and finish early if you like, but we just go on through the afternoon.

C-ya there!

I've crossed the Great Basin at least 30 times on motorcycles, possibly 50 times but I've lost track, almost always on US50, I80 sucks! I don't like heat but only a few times has it been unbearable, as Sagerider says it is well above sea level which moderates things a bit. (I've also crossed it in the truck when it was 0F or below almost all the way across and on the bike when it never got above freezing, that was the time my Gerbing jacket broke of course...)

You'll be OK, just drink plenty. They have Coke at the brothels, DAMHIK.

always on US50, I80 sucks!

+1 on US50. Great road to travel at triple digits. It is my prefered route to the West Coast from here in Denver. US40 into Utah and wind around one of several routes over to catch US50. May take longer than the super slab, but the ride is much nicer.

+2 on 50

Many more passes than 80, more chances to cool off. Some twisties on the way up and down the passes.."some" stuff to look at. I use "some" loosely here. :grin:

The wind will be with you all the way on 80. Sometimes headstrong with sand as well. Usually later in the day.

80 really is a superslab. I don't use it unless I gotta make good time.

MB>

I should've added, if you're thinking about going through Sacramento to Bodega Bay, it'll likely also be hot going through the Sacramento Valley.

The dry desert heat on 50 or even in the Sacto Valley is not a problem as long as you stay well hydrated and covered. It's nothing like the humidity in OK or LA (which I thought was twice as bad as 110 going across the desert). Don't be tempted to take off the gear and ride in a t-shirt. If you have to shed clothes, just wear some Underarmor boxers and a compression shirt under your gear. Use a water bottle to wet down your t-shirt every few hours. Skip the caffeine if possible.

If you have the time and want to bypass Sacramento getting to the coast, take Hwy 20 off I-80 after the summit, and stay on it all the way to Ft. Bragg. Then head south along the coast thru Mendocino to Bodega (two hours away excluding stops along the way). Coming over the coast range on 20 is twistie heaven.

I had already planned on riding US50, I've ridden most of it in the east all the way to the Alantic, and west as far as Grand Junction, CO. I wanted to ride some more of it on this trip, and eventually all the way to the west coast. Anything in particular I should plan on seeing on 50 between Utah and Nevada?

Thanks,

Steve

I had already planned on riding US50, I've ridden most of it in the east all the way to the Alantic, and west as far as Grand Junction, CO. I wanted to ride some more of it on this trip, and eventually all the way to the west coast. Anything in particular I should plan on seeing on 50 between Utah and Nevada?

Thanks,

Steve

I'm leaving Washington, DC on July 2nd for the UN and will ride mostly Rt 50 on the way out.

i will need to go from Topaz to Twin falls ID, so i could route along 50 to Ely and then swing north to Wells on 93; or swing north on 228 to Elko; or 278 to Carlin

what would ensure best riding (good views & less heat) and available fuel?

Mind the spped limits when entering Austin and the other few towns on 50. They love to do a tickey if you are over the posted limit. I ain't never seen so many police cars in such small towns. Revenue, you know.

Forget about the cops and small towns, watch out for the Park Ranger on #50. He has his own little speed trap set up out there in the middle of the desert.

He drives a white P/U and has a radar unit with it. I saw him stopping riders coming and going both directions when I went through there.

Not what you would think when you recall Park Rangers. However, he is a rare breed certified Peace Officer, and loves to work traffic.

He should have tried out for the Highway Patrol. He cuts nobody slack so don't get stopped by him.

Mat

I have been thinking about this thread... interesting. Just for the other side of the thought. If you have not seen the Great Salt Lake, which looks like a great large lake, or if you have never seen the Bonneville Salt Flats, then consider I-80 from Salt Lake City to Wendover, NV.

Not much of a ride but moderately interesting if you have never experienced it. The Flats are sorta special... and certainly unique.

Calvin  (no socks)

I definitely want to hit the flats... and then drop down to 50 toward Ely...

Forget about the cops and small towns, watch out for the Park Ranger on #50. He has his own little speed trap set up out there in the middle of the desert.

He drives a white P/U and has a radar unit with it. I saw him stopping riders coming and going both directions when I went through there.

Not what you would think when you recall Park Rangers. However, he is a rare breed certified Peace Officer, and loves to work traffic.

He should have tried out for the Highway Patrol. He cuts nobody slack so don't get stopped by him.

Mat

If this was at the Fallon end of US50 he was probably from the military base - they used to do that all the time.

Eureka is by far the worst for speed traps though there has been one in Austin from time to time and they patrol 50 east of Ely heavily too. That still leaves 80% of the road pretty much deserted.

Is Rt 50 across NV worth the speed traps, etc?

Since I have plenty of time, perhaps I'll drop down off I-70/Rt50 in Utah and go through Torrey then SW on 12, 143, & 14. The go W on 14, 56 then W on NV Rt 319, 93, 375, 6, then CA 120 and N to Topas Lake on 395.

Any thoughts on crossing NV in the lower 3rd of the state?

I am coming in from the north but want to leave heading out to idaho, so we'll have to compare notes with the guys at the UN to see what the latest news on the "traps" on 50

Bob , If I'm going to drop down to see my Dad after Torrey.. I take that route and its a good one to slip onto Calif. hiway 395 below Topas Lake.... not much traffic usually

Yes, and talk of these speed traps is greatly exaggerated - this is a remote isolated road for most if its length, just don't speed in the towns and it will be fine.
Paul Mihalka

"talk of these speed traps is greatly exaggerated"

I would agree using my sample of one. I crossed Rt. 50 from Utah to Minden NV ( :wave: Michael) on my way to the John Day UN. On the ride I did not see one speed checking patrol, in or out of town. It's just like any other road. Slow down in towns, the rest ride according to your risk tolerance. Usually roads with little traffic have little surveillance. Not enough donors to make it worthwhile.

Since I have plenty of time, perhaps I'll drop down off I-70/Rt50 in Utah and go through Torrey then SW on 12, 143, & 14. The go W on 14, 56 then W on NV Rt 319, 93, 375, 6, then CA 120 and N to Topas Lake on 395.

Bob,

That's a good route, although I would not avoid US50 due to the "speed traps". Don't speed in the towns and you'll be fine. The towns are few and widely spaced.

On US50 west of the Fallon Air Base and through Fallon, do not speed. Patrolling speed enforcement is much higher from this point westward.

The North/South US highways in Nevada (US 93, US95) are much more heavily patrolled by the Highway Patrol than the east west routes (US6, US50).

US395 is relatively heavily patrolled north of Bishop, CA. and even more so north of Bridgeport, CA. In the last year I haven't made it through Walker Canyon without encountering at least 2 LEOs.

I would not go any further south in Nevada than the route you are proposing or temperature will get extremely hot.

+1 on the thanks for all the info.

I'll be on 50 on day 1 of our return trip... Hoping to make it to either Great Basin or ELY...

I'm about 30 days out from departure! :clap: YAHOOOOOOO!!!!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Fantastic ride. Don't count on Rachel NV having gas...and if they do, the quality is questionable (as of reports from previous years.) DO NOT speed within a reasonable proximity of Tonopah NV. You'll need about 200 miles of gas to go the distance from Caliente to Tonopah.

Fantastic ride. Don't count on Rachel NV having gas...and if they do, the quality is questionable (as of reports from previous years.) DO NOT speed within a reasonable proximity of Tonopah NV. You'll need about 200 miles of gas to go the distance from Caliente to Tonopah.

Thanks for the heads up on the gas situation. I can usually get to 200 miles on the KRS and carry a small container of gas to get me another 20 miles if needed.

Since I have only been to one BMWST Torrey event I plan on stopping in Torrey and riding Rt 12 again. :clap:

]

Since I have only been to one BMWST Torrey event I plan on stopping in Torrey and riding Rt 12 again. :clap:

Should I stock up on tyres? :grin:

Mat

If this was at the Fallon end of US50 he was probably from the military base - they used to do that all the time.

Eureka is by far the worst for speed traps though there has been one in Austin from time to time and they patrol 50 east of Ely heavily too. That still leaves 80% of the road pretty much deserted.

Anyone using Trapster? :thumbsup:

Calvin, get cool vests for you and Beth. Richard finally convinced me about two years ago... they are wonderful! You don't need to spend a lot money on them (but you can). I carry a large zip lock bag with me while riding and when I stop, I put the vest in the bag and fill it with water. When I'm ready to go the wet vest feels great under my riding jacket. It makes a huge difference.

If you are coming all the way over to the coast, you are welcome to stay in our spare room...

Calvin, get cool vests for you and Beth. Richard finally convinced me about two years ago... they are wonderful! You don't need to spend a lot money on them (but you can). I carry a large zip lock bag with me while riding and when I stop, I put the vest in the bag and fill it with water. When I'm ready to go the wet vest feels great under my riding jacket. It makes a huge difference. to the coast, you are welcome to stay in our spare room...

Any suggestions on the brand/model of cooling vest?

I hate the vests (but then I hated my Day-long seat too). Anyway one piece of advice for new users, don't get them too wet, if the water runs down into your pants it becomes hot and uncomfortable and difficult to dry.

Calvin, get cool vests for you and Beth. Richard finally convinced me about two years ago... they are wonderful! You don't need to spend a lot money on them (but you can). I carry a large zip lock bag with me while riding and when I stop, I put the vest in the bag and fill it with water. When I'm ready to go the wet vest feels great under my riding jacket. It makes a huge difference. to the coast, you are welcome to stay in our spare room...

Any suggestions on the brand/model of cooling vest?

Bob,

I have the Silver Eagle Classic (for Ladies). Linky

I've been satisfied with it and it fits me well. I think the price may have gone up since I bought mine.

• 2 weeks later...

Jean and I used them on the John Day UN run through UT. Wet them out every stop and squeeze them out pretty good. They don't work as well in TX or LA.

Silver Eagle too.....I wet it and put it in a 2.0 gallon zip lock in the side case and it's ready to go when needed.....

Several years back I purchased a cooling vest from Sound Rider, use it couple of times on 90 degreee plus days. Yeah it worked, but do I really want to go for a ride when its that hot? So I packed it away only to dig it out for up coming UN. I wet it in its handy zip Lock and an hour later took it out for a visual inspection to find a gelatinous like mess. Does anyone know what that stuff is? :S

Several years back I purchased a cooling vest from Sound Rider, use it couple of times on 90 degreee plus days. Yeah it worked, but do I really want to go for a ride when its that hot? So I packed it away only to dig it out for up coming UN. I wet it in its handy zip Lock and an hour later took it out for a visual inspection to find a gelatinous like mess. Does anyone know what that stuff is? :S

pamper innards... :grin:

Archived