IGNORED

My radio antenna came off!

Deek

It came off one morning on a tour when I removed the cover. The antenna had been a little loose at the connection on the fairing for a day, but I could not figure out how to tighten it. What I see now is a small bolt protruding from the fairing on the right side. It's loose and I'm afraid it will fall into the fairing never to be seen again, so I'm using a "twisty tie" to secure it until I can fix it. I still have the antenna itself, which has a piece that that would screw onto the bolt, but I might have lost a "fascia" part or two.

I popped of the right mirror to see if I could hold that bolt from inside the fairing, but I cannot get to it without further disassembly. Has anyone here had to do that with their RT?

Thanks.

Not actually faced this exact problem but i did retrofit the complete radio assembly, including the aerial. You can access the connector by removing the mirror and the mirror fairing.

Not actually faced this exact problem but i did retrofit the complete radio assembly, including the aerial. You can access the connector by removing the mirror and the mirror fairing.

Thanks. I'll look again. I popped out the mirror and didn't see much, but will also take off the mirror's housing this time and see what I can see.

John Bentall

I recently had to replace the plastic part that sits between the bottom of the aerial and the rubber grommet. I had to remove the screen, mirrors, instrument panel and side fairing to be sure of having enough room to work.

"I recently had to replace the plastic part that sits between the bottom of the aerial and the rubber grommet. I had to remove the screen, mirrors, instrument panel and side fairing to be sure of having enough room to work."

Ewie, sounds like a job for the dealer on my next maintenance! I don't like undressing the RT. ;)

Archived