IGNORED

Lower Seat Height for Shorter Rider

deeve

Hello, I am the supervisor of a motor unit and one of my new rider's is a little on the short side. We ride R1200RT-P's and I picked up the short seat for him. We also turned the suspension setting down quite a bit to give him better footing, but he is still on his toes. He also does not like the floaty feeling the bike has with the softer suspension setting as it kind of wallows in turns.

What have others done to lower the seat height on the machine? I would like to be able to get his feet more on the ground, while still retaining the firmer ride.

Thanks!

Fast and Dirty. The shock isn't a true shock, it is a strut with a built in shock. I don't know how much you could raise the top shock mount by use of spacers and longer bolts, but there is some room to work with. The next option is to take the rear stock to a machine shop and have them cut the ram down weld it back together. JON

The simplest, most cost effective thing to do is get boots with thicker soles.

1/2 inch in the boots will not be noticed by on lookers but will have the same effect as getting a lower seat.

1" of Boot is hardly visible and will feel like he got a new bike.

1 1/2 inch sole will be seen by some but not often. Huge difference.

Also... I had my Low Seat modified by a local seat builder at a very reasonable cost and it fits way better and is actually more comfortable.

Are you sure you have put his seat in the Low Position?

Good luck to you both.

Not sure about that "low" seat you've got, but someone like Rich could trim some height out of it. He pulled a good 2" off the standard seat on Lori's (the Mrs.) F650CS. She's dang near sitting on the seat pan, but he did it in such a way that it's still sun-up to sun-down comfortable.

Thanks for the reply's. I'm thinking modding the shock might be difficult, but maybe I can take a look at the route. The short seat is very minimal...it's pretty much the seat pan. Good news is the heated seat feels like you are sitting on the stove. I've looked at the seat and I don't think there is much more to shave off.

I have seen BMW offers a low version but it has to be ordered that way and it is not available in RT-P's. The boots may be a way to go.

I did low seat on my '07, but was still on toes (See my avatar picture). I don't weigh a lot and don't normally carry the kind of stuff you would on an RTP. Unfortunately, I was on my toes unless the bike was loaded. I purchased one inch lowered shocks, and modified my side and center stand. FWIW, I'm 5'2" tall with a 30 inch inseam. Weight: 115 to 120 pounds.

Shorter shocks are the way to go. Try Ted Porter at the Beemer shop, he can set you up with shorter Wilbers. The bike will sit significantly lower and handle much better.

Shorter shocks are the way to go. Try Ted Porter at the Beemer shop, he can set you up with shorter Wilbers. The bike will sit significantly lower and handle much better.

Not to hijack the thread....What's interesting is that when I was shopping, I discounted the lowered version (not lowered seat) as I have a pretty long inseam and felt that it would be "too" low. I was able to flat foot the standard bike but when I had the Russell seat put on, I am not on my tiptoes. Go figure.

Anyway, if there is a shorter shock option, that doesn't screw up the ESA function, I think I may even do that.

Anyway, if there is a shorter shock option, that doesn't screw up the ESA function, I think I may even do that.

My understanding was that shorter shocks are incompatible with ESA. Am I wrong?

Works makes a shorter (custom to your size) ESA shock and I'd bet anyone else that makes a shock for the ESA system does as well.

Called the dealer today. New Shorter Shocks $300. Labor = 4+ hours. ESA compatible? He wasn't sure. Had to research.

Thinking I'll get used to being on the balls, tiptoes, of my feet.

Going to check out WTA's suggestion above...

Ahh, I'd forgotten that the factory also has the shorter version. As far as replacing the shocks goes - it's pretty straight foreword and simple enough to do yourself.

Here are a few write ups that cover the removal and replacement. In the first post are links to the shock removal.

link

Archived