IGNORED

My first car

John Ranalletta

John Ranalletta

This must've been taken about 60 years ago. My nephew (l) and I drive our new cars. Unfortunately, I don't remember the car at all.

Image.jpg

ShovelStrokeEd

I had a pedal car just like that when I was around the same age. All I remember is that is was red and when I drove it down the outside stairs to our basement, it hurt when I hit the bottom. Split lip and some skinning on my shins from runaway pedals.

I apparently didn't learn much.

As always seems to be the case when two guys approach the line together, there's a girl in the picture!

:rofl: :rofl:

Paul Mihalka

Well, for my first car I was a bit older and my car was a bit (not by much) bigger:

800px-Morris_8_Series_E.jpg

1939 Morris Eight, I got it in 1949. Picture is not my car, just one like it.

1947 Standard Flying 8. Notice the similarity of design with Paul's 1939 Morris 8. I "shared" this with my friend Roy.

He bought it on the understanding that I fixed it up for him.

The quid pro quo was that I could drive it, and so I got to drive it... a lot :grin:.

My first REAL car was a 1955 MG Magnette ZA . Great car...beautifully appointed and solid chassis. Bodywork was another matter. Door bottoms rusted out. Bought a later model (ZB Varitone) and kept the old gal for parts. Regretted trading that lovely ZB in for a stupid MG 1100 when they came out. Being young and stupid, I went for all the "high tech" front drive transverse engine, Hydrolastic suspension etc.

Paul Mihalka

All the first British cars after WWII were continuation of their last models from before the war, just like most USA cars. That Standard looks just like the very popular Ford Anglia if you don't look at the grill.

My first new car was a 1953 Austin A30 I shared with my Mom. She had it Monday to Friday when I rode my bike, I had it on the weekend to go with the girls.

Austin_A30_1954.jpg

Later in 1958 I also had a beat-up Wolseley 4/44, very much like the MG Magnette. The English were masters of badge engineering. I got the Wolseley after I crashed my beautiful Borgward Isabella TS in a cross-country race.

John Ranalletta

This was my first real car, only a 194 ci 6 cyl, 3 spd on the column.

Great looking car until pop decided to paint the gutters with galvanized paint. You know the rest of the story. Wish i still had it, but with a small block 302.

75379_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg

Lone_RT_rider
uhhhhhhh.. Dare I say a '71 Ford Maverick? :(

Don't feel bad. Mine was a 1973 Dodge Coronet.

And John, I half expected to see a picture of a model T when I opened this thread. :grin::rofl:

John Ranalletta
uhhhhhhh.. Dare I say a '71 Ford Maverick? :(

Don't feel bad. Mine was a 1973 Dodge Coronet.

And John, I half expected to see a picture of a model T when I opened this thread. :grin::rofl:

Damn near had one but I was too young. My brother came home to live for a while and bought a '32 T body Ford. It stopped running and sat in the driveway for a year. He sold it for $100. :dopeslap: He was my brother, an author, world traveler and scholar, but he was really dumb about cars.

SAAB93driver

1957 Buick Roadmaster 75 bought from my neighbor in 1983 who was the original owner. All power - Power windows, power antenna, power bench seat, huge backseat great for high school and Wunderbar tube radio that worked - including the foot and Wunderbar seek feature.

Next car was a 1977 FWD Cadillac Eldorado that handled like a 'Vette compared to the Buick but those were some big CV joints.

In 1972, bought a 1966 Chevy Biscayne (the economy Bel Air) 3 on the tree, power nothing. Didn't even have a radio when I bought it. I6 250.

Prolly still running.

$600

This must've been taken about 60 years ago. My nephew (l) and I drive our new cars. Unfortunately, I don't remember the car at all.

Image.jpg

I never had a pedal car. But I had a pedal tractor. A Murray. With a two-speed transmission. Didn't corner worth crap. But I remember the tranny being smooth. Wish I had it today just to take it apart and see how it worked.

QHG9004-1955-Murray-Tractor-and-Trailer.jpg

Circa 1950....'37 Ford and the original Redbrick as it had a V8-60 in it and was definitely a brick... Soon changed out to an 85....

Pretty obvious I like red vehicles......

37FordCoupemod.jpg

Paul Mihalka
Circa 1950....'37 Ford and the original Redbrick as it had a V8-60 in it and was definitely a brick... Soon changed out to an 85....

Pretty obvious I like red vehicles......

37FordCoupemod.jpg

Neat! :thumbsup:

skinny_tom (aka boney)

First Car:

1970 Land Rover Series IIa, SWB

My first set of motorized wheels:

1974 Vespa Rally 200

I still have it:

25475_1385859533820_1451974350_1019203_3519905_n.jpg

72 Dodge Dart. Chicks didn't dig. :(

84 Monte Carlo SS. Chicks did dig. :Cool:

87 Mustang GT. Too fast, scared the chicks. :(

89 Ford F150. Didn't much matter from this point on what the chicks thought. :D

99 Ford F150.

2009 Ford F150.

Pat

The pedal cars look great, and would have been much better at demo derby than the trikes we used.

First car that I bought:

Opel 1900 same as this one.

1975_Opel_Ascona_1900_Front_1.jpg

First road legal motorcycle:

1974 Honda 350 XL same as this one.

1974-Honda-XL350-1.jpg

In 1960 at the age of 15, I paid $50 for a 1942 Chevy. Spent a whole winter in a freezing garage in Anchorage rebuilding the engine with not a whole lot more that an adjustable wrench or two for a tool kit. I wasn't old enough to drive so working on it was as close as I could get to it. A couple of years later it was replaced with a 1948 plymouth Super Deluxe. That was in a lot better shape, but still kept me out of trouble working on it.

At one time, I had thought this was my first car.

890935258_SfZh7-XL.jpg

It turned out that this was my first car.

1970 VW Bug, a highschool graduation present from my parents. Navy Blue outside. White inside. It had been my eldest brothers car. Ran perfectly, although the heater boxes only shut off if you went under and sprayed some silicon and smacked around with a hammer. Fabulous car. Absolutely wish I still had it and drove it every day.

890935264_oQsvf-L.jpg

I loved all the ads they ran in Life magazine

890935254_zUjBd-XL.jpg

Mrs. Caddis

68 VW Bug also. All rusted out and the heat cable rusted open. Rusty headlights that winked at you when going down the street. Got me to my summer job and through my senior year in college. Sold it when Kevin and I got married to my brother for $100, who fixed it up a bit, zebra striped it and drove it around Kent, Ohio for 4 more years.

68 VW Bug also. All rusted out and the heat cable rusted open. Rusty headlights that winked at you when going down the street. Got me to my summer job and through my senior year in college. Sold it when Kevin and I got married to my brother for $100, who fixed it up a bit, zebra striped it and drove it around Kent, Ohio for 4 more years.
My first new car was a beige 68 Bug. Got it when I was about to go to Vietnam and needed something cheap and reliable for my wife to drive while I was gone. Incidentally, I had to read your statement "when Kevin and I married my brother for $100" three times before I realized what it meant. I couldn't understand how two people could marry your brother or what the money had to do with it. :)

My First and STILL in MY possesion and running Historical NYS Plates is the reason for my moniker...... A 1949 English Ford Prefect. Stock set up, 30 HP, flat head ford, designed in Dearborn MI, Built in England. Only 3 Known to exist and on the road in stock condition in USA.

test25.jpg

My First and STILL in MY possesion and running Historical NYS Plates is the reason for my moniker...... A 1949 English Ford Prefect.
That is impressive.
Mrs. Caddis

Woops, editing without re-reading.... SO I'll try again. Sold it to my brother after I got hitched....

Bill_Walker
First car was a '76 Dodge Aspen 318CID V8 two door. I got it in May of '88. I totaled it in Dec of '88.

Glad you're OK, and no offense intended, but I'm not unhappy to see one of those taken off the road!

Not that my first car was much better looking. It looked somewhat like this one:

78Luv.jpg

Mine didn't have the big truck mirrors, and it had deep-dish aluminum wheels with wide tires that stuck out beyond the fenders. The improper offset of the wheels (which came on the truck from the dealer) made an interesting combination with the 4-wheel drum brakes. You always knew it was going to pull to one side when you hit the brakes, but you never knew which side!

bayoubengal

White 1972 Datsun 240Z I bought in 1976 just before I turned 15, the minimum age for a license in La at that time. $2200.00 of which I had saved all but $200 working at my father Honda dealership. He paid the $200 for me. I no longer have it but I do have my 1985 300ZX with 165,000 in the clock in my second garage. I drive it every week or two.

I did a double take on Eileen's post also... :)

HighAngleHell

My first car was a 1972 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Coupe. I bought it when I was 15 and spent a year working on it before I got my license to drive it. I had to replace one of the doors because of the rust. That was my first real introduction to how boneyards work. Back then you could just go back to a wreck and take what parts you needed without all of this liability crap. Man, those doors were big and heavy! Rocket 350 Woo Hoo! First time I lit the rear tires up my dad wanted to talk to me. I miss those days.

DH

Archived