IGNORED

Oil weep after change

Dundee387

Just completed an oil change on my 06 RT. Noticed a little bit of oil weeping out of the cylinder head cover (near the plug cover), on the oil fill side. It seems to have stopped. Is this normal? I filled up with 4 qts.

Thanks..

soggybottom

It sounds like your talking about the valve cover? If so and it continues it is an easy fix to replace the gasket but first just re torque the 4 bolts holding the cover on.

Weeping and driping are 2 differant catagories, weeping would be normal around a gasket that is not visable and therefore not in an area that is ever cleaned, a lite flim that would collect dust over time. A drip is not good.

It sounds like your talking about the valve cover? If so and it continues it is an easy fix to replace the gasket but first just re torque the 4 bolts holding the cover on.

But be vewy vewy cawefull. The torque spec is tiny (I don't recall the number off hand). It is all too easy to over-torque them and break things.

Jay

Make sure the gaskets are wiped clean very well and re-torque to 10Nm - i had this and the above fixed it...

Also, if you have to wiggle the cover too much, reseat the plug gasket and go in again.

But be vewy vewy cawefull. The torque spec is tiny (I don't recall the number off hand). It is all too easy to over-torque them and break things.

Jay

I would say +1 to that. The valve covers could quite easily be overtorqued and distorted, leading to a leak.

I never touched the valve covers. Just standard oil change. It's "weeping" from the area between the black plug cover (2 spark). Is there a gasket in that area also?

It's running fine. I have a 2000 mile trip, and leaving on Monday, so this kinda sucks.

I never touched the valve covers. Just standard oil change. It's "weeping" from the area between the black plug cover (2 spark). Is there a gasket in that area also?

It's running fine. I have a 2000 mile trip, and leaving on Monday, so this kinda sucks.

There is a circular seal that surrounds the spark plug. If it's coming out around that plastic plug cover you might pop that off and have a look to see if it's coming down the hole where the plug is. If that's the case I'd just remove the rocker cover and see if the seal was pinched or otherwise mutilated. It would be easy to replace if it's damaged. If it's just a kink you might be able to straighten it out and reinstall it. Good luck.

I just ordered a couple of the rubber donuts from Chicago BMW as I too have an oil weap (very small) at the spark plug. The parts person says the BMW recommendation now is to change them every other oil change. I wouldn't go that often as the first one lasted over 70k miles but they are certainly a wear item.

Well you beat me to the post. That's just what I did after my last post. I had spilled a little oil when filling it up, and it got behind the spark plug cover, this appearing like a leak.

Took the cover off, cleaned it up, and test rode. No leaks, all set.

Thanks to all for your help.

Archived