IGNORED

Moto Marin closed

MAT2CHI

beemerman2k

Now this is terrible news.

I visited the dealership in July of 2006. Cary gave me a tour of the place.

I am very sorry.

Marty Hill

Terrible news. Spent time with Cary at the shop a few weeks ago. All the good people and all the hard work. Very sad.

Follow up:

I spoke with Cary. He's fine. He says he's fought a good fight for a very long time and that he'll find a way to come out of this personally, but that the motorcycle sales part of the dealership is closed as he has no more bikes. He says that there's a strange sense of relief that's come over him.

As to the actual status of his business and what happened, I'll leave it up to him to post, but I do know that BMW came in and took the bikes, accessories and apparel, but left him with his parts, so they're still able to do services and repairs. Of course, I would urge everyone who's in the area to support him, not only because he's the founder of this board, but because he's a damn fine gentleman and has always treated customers right. He and his employees could use the business as they're no longer able to sell BMW's, but they can sure as hell work on them for a while and provide the kind of quality service they've been known for. If you've been his customer, there's no need to change just yet.

BIG hugs to Cary, and crew.

Last visited him (pilgrimage) in '05 with Fasterpill.

I couldn't of had my "moto" journey without him, these last 10+ years, IMHO.

Thanks for the personal info FB, I understand Cary being/feeling "free", as these last few years have brought my own catharsis.

Dearly miss the good old times.

{get your butt back out here Marty! Honest, I'll buy ;) )

Heck, seems like BMW Motorrad never heard of the maxi-recession happening in America, and the depression happening specifically in California. Pretty darn short-sighted of them. It would seem like there are lots of steps they could have taken short of shutting him down, to keep a good dealer afloat and maintain their distribution network. However, I guess with scores of investors just chomping at the bit to open new BMW dealerships in Californa they didn't need Cary, and had to act immediately to put this dealer out of business. sarcasm>

Maybe he can focus on consignment sales - keep the showroom filled and make some sort of profit.

Well, hopefully, he can find the financial wherewithall and support of a competitor to remain in business. Wouldn't that be a stick-in-the-eye to BMW to fill their BMW showroom, with say, Triumph's or Kawa's, or an all "Euro-bike" showroom (sans BMW's).

I wish him well, personally and professionally, with the business recovery sure to come.

- Scott

John Ranalletta

BMWNA would do well to hire Cary, not fire him; however, the laws of economics prevail even with nice guys.

Met Cary twice...once at Gunnison and again in his first store. He was serving a customer who'd just bought a GS and a pile of farkles, but made time to welcome us.

Good luck in the next act, Cary.

a fRICKIN' Sad-A$$ day for me and this board.

I've met so many life-long wonderful friends on this board and to think that it wouldn't of happened without the dream of Cary.

Sad sad day.!! C R A P..!!

Very sad.

Having been on the edge of a similar event, it is no win situation.

My best wishes to Cary and all his family.

BMW isn't always the bully or bad guy.

But, I do think they sometimes miss the boat and scuttle the ship when the best course is to heave to on the leeward shore and weather the storm.

I know of at least two places that financially secure individuals want to open dealerships and are facing stormy seas.

Cary is an inspiration to all.

Truly sorry to hear this.

Cary & crew ran a fine dealership; always looked forward to stopping by and/or buying from them.

Aw crap, is so right.

Cary has already left a legacy that few folks could hope for in this world. I'm eager to see what he does next. All the best to you Cary. :wave:

reminds me of the old joke

how do you have a million dollars

start out with 5 million, and open a motorcycle shop.

hope Carey lands on his feet.

I don't think the "dealership" is closed. He just doesn't have any more BMW motorcycles, accessories or apparel. I believe he still owns the franchise rights and, if he could find an investor, there might be a way to survive. However, this is just a guess. I'll leave it to Cary, when he has time, to explain what the specifics of the situation are.

Bad news for Bay Area BMW riders! I hope EffBee's take on this is correct and that Cary will find a way to keep the doors open - even without BMWs backing.

John Bentall

As one of the first members from "across the pond", I would like to add my regrets that Cary's dream has had such a drastic outcome. I too have made some good friends on this board.

Good luck, Cary.

baggerchris

The following is my opinion only.

I feel that this is what happens when a dealership rightfully is more client oriented than "Company" oriented.

I am disgusted and very upset that this could happen.

I long for the days of the small Mom and Pop dealerships where Motorcycling was a way of life and not JUST dollars and cents and formed the basis of my motorcyling education.

To see this happen to one of the nicest persons I have ever met at the dealership level just leaves me with an empty pit in my stomach.

I don't know. I guess I am just getting too old for this kind of big corporation crap with no heart or feeling.

Dennis Andress
... I long for the days of the small Mom and Pop dealerships

I still have the last sales receipt written by my favorite Mom & Pop, A&D Yamaha of Merced, California.

Cary, best wishes. Thanks for all you've done for this group. Heck, Laney and I met because of something you started. Your reputation is well deserved sir.

Dennis

The operation was a class act. Cary hired great people and Greg was the best parts guy I have ever done business with. I hope Cary can turn it around somehow, but watching a guy scrape of the words "SALE" from the front Windows today was pretty depressing. :(

That is very sad to hear. I saw and talked to Cary at WSBK on Monday, in Tooele, UT; asked about the business and wished him well.

I had no idea how dire his situation had become.

Tough business to be in right now.

Really hate to see that happen, but in our own way we contribute with the anti-dealer service etc. I just spent $1101 at my BMW local BMW dealer for the 24k service and new PR2 tires. Yep, I could have probably saved a few hundred bucks by diy or buying parts on-line. First it is a pain in the arse to take the bike to the dealer, go get it, and pay the $79 hour service fee, but having them go out of business trumps that.

Just my $.02

Bought our first GSA last year and have nothing but great experiences

with their superb team. Cary is a good man and deserves only the best.

Our hearts go out to all his great crew.

All the very best as always,

David & Rhoni

Wow, shocker.

I was just there Tuesday working on a deal for an Aprilia scooter for my daughter, and trying to decide if I needed a new RT.

James did not even hint at this, maybe it was a suprise to all.

Well the RT I bought there will carry the dealer plates proudly.

Best of luck on the future to a great guy with a great team.

To repeat what others have said, this sucks. If there's anything we can do Cary let us know. Your extended family is here to help. And for those that hadn't met him, he really is a class act.

I heard a report that a flatbed truck was seen loading up his new dealer stock yesterday. He service department is still open on a limited basis, Fri-Sat until his parts department is depleted.

I get the impression Cary lost his flooring credit needed to keep stock on the sales floor. Just simply another victim of our recession.

Cary says the 'going out of business sale' will be soon. I'm sure we will all be notified.

We all wish Cary and his excellent staff the very best of great fortune for the future.

We live in Napa and looks like we will use A&S. Any comments on the best place to go?

John Ranalletta

Some of us might get a chance to walk the talk. If Cary wholesales remaining stock, who here will feel good about taking the discount?

Good question. It's a reflection of your ethics and character if you take advantage of someone when they are down.

Unfortunately, I think it's human nature to flock to Moto Marin and pick over the spoils.

Some of us might get a chance to walk the talk. If Cary wholesales remaining stock, who here will feel good about taking the discount?

Now don't forget your local dealers....who still may have a chance to stay in business.

John Ranalletta

My first thought was, "Hey, do I need anything?", but the second was, "How would I feel about taking advantage of Cary's distress?" That's just me.

Reminds of that old, bad joke about the surgeon telling his patient, "I've got good news and bad. The bad is I'm going to amputate your feet. The good news is the guy in the next bed wants to buy your slippers."

Paul Mihalka

A bit of business talk: Buying something at a close-out sale is not taking advantage of the business in times of distress. If you don't buy it somebody else will. You might buy something nobody else would, and that's helping. If you want to buy something and want to insist to pay the shop full retail price, that's up to you, but I don't think many will do that. I think the last thing Cary wants is handouts and donations.

I feel terrible of MotoMarin going down. Cary is a wonderful guy, a great friend. We talked a lot when he was planing to open the dealership. Sad story.

Firefight911
Cary says the 'going out of business sale' will be soon. I'm sure we will all be notified.

We all wish Cary and his excellent staff the very best of great fortune for the future.

We live in Napa and looks like we will use A&S. Any comments on the best place to go?

If you live in Napa you do have Santa Rosa BMW ya know?

LINKY

Man.........if it happens there where or who else is next?

Golden Gate Harley-Davidson in Marin County - (Corte Madera) also closed this week, and Marin is one of the wealthier counties in the state.

James Clark

Dress appropriately.

60345_product_1908406882_thumb_larg.jpg

Well that definitely stinks. Sorry to hear that part of the business is closing. Hope the remaining business thrives! Wishing you all the best, Cary!

I didn't get a chance to get to know the guys very well, since I only bought my R1150RT from them this January. Solid buch of guys.

I hope that they all resurface soon, and let us know where and when they do.

Stefan

I didn't get a chance to get to know the guys very well, since I only bought my R1150RT from them this January. Solid buch of guys.

I hope that they all resurface soon, and let us know where and when they do.

Stefan

Did you buy the silver one?

I've been doing business with them since 2003 and they have always treated me right.

AdventurePoser

In the days of Compuserve, I met Cary's dad before I had the opportunity to know Cary...I was struck by Cary's passion for BMWs and his dedication. I hope Cary continues to stay in the moto biz. He is a great guy.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

They were definitely good guys; I bought a 1973R75/5 (took delivery at the Munich factory) from the dealership back when Duane had a BMW/Triumph shop around the block from the present location. What I heard about the new MotoMarin was they were under a rent obligation of about $20K/month, and that was a backbreaker. Hope Cary lands on his feet; a good man.

• 2 weeks later...

Thor and I went by the store last saturday hoping that it would be open. No such luck/someone had posted that they would be doing friday-saturday work.

Sad to see the empty building.

Archived