IGNORED

A helmet that stinks...on purpose

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Article here.

Short summary: Engineers have developed a process that builds sealed microcapsules of odorant into the EPS layer of a bicycle helmet. If the EPS is cracked/damaged due to a drop or crash, the chemical is released, resulting in an odor that alerts the user to the need for replacement. No odor? Don't need to waste money on replacement.

Presumably this technology could easily be adapted to motorcycle helmets. On one hand, it could be a good feature, since motorcycle helmets are typically a lot more expensive than bicycle helmets. At $300 for a basic Shoei, it would be nice to know for sure whether it needs replacing after a drop.

OTOH, imagine you have a helmet that has been painstakingly fitted with a comm system, and you’re at the south end of Bryce Canyon in the middle of a 3-week trip. Your helmet rolls off the seat and thumps the pavement, causing a minor crack in the EPS underlayer and releasing the smell of fresh ass. You can either detour 150 miles out of your way to buy a new helmet that fits and waste a morning transferring your comm system while your buddies wait for you, or you can ride out the remaining ten days of your trip with your head inside an ass-scented helmet.

I think I’ll stick with the unscented helmet, thanks.

Interesting idea, but I don't trust any built-in replacement indicator, like those little green strip on my Gillette razor blades or the Duracell batteries that have the little thing to press that kills the battery while displaying how much battery life is left.

Invent a helmet that warns me of the nearest inbound out-of-control SUV. Now that's what I'm talkin' about!!

Interesting. I think you got it 100% though - it's one thing to put on a dud helmet to get home, it's another to put on a dud that reeks. Especially when chances are you just had a minor get off, and you're all worked up. Last thing you need is stinkola.

For years they've had similar indicators packed with frozen foods (usually on the pallet). High temp turns the dot from white to black. I'd rather buy one like that, that turns color.

OTOH, I'd buy a helmet with a pop-out turkey timer. Maybe it could pop-in, so it pokes you in the head when you put it on? that'd get you to buy a new one!

The manufacturers would rig it to their advantage by making the odor release device overly sensitive. I'm very careful about where I set my helmet so it won't get damaged. I pretty much know by instinct when to replace it.

JohnnyJ

Article here.

OTOH, imagine you have a helmet that has been painstakingly fitted with a comm system, and you’re at the south end of Bryce Canyon in the middle of a 3-week trip. Your helmet rolls off the seat and thumps the pavement, causing a minor crack in the EPS underlayer and releasing the smell of fresh ass.

mITCH :

That comment has both my wife mOOSE & I rolling laughing so hard I'm crying.!!

This one rates right up there with " the dreaded corn bat "

All my helmets already stink, should I replace them?

If your wife will no longer go to dinner with you with your helmet on – yes.

ISFA the original idea, I agree, seems like there would be a better way to indicate a shock over a certain limit than smellola.

It would be an overkill, moreover, since I have been in diverse situations that chilling though they were, fortunately did not result in get off, yet the smell still made its appearance, I don't think I need the extra pressure. :dopeslap:

So why not Pine scented, or maybe honeysuckle? You'd still know you'd cracked your helmet and everyone else wouldn't think you'[d been eating vultures for lunch.

---

Penforhire

I'd much rather have a visual indicator. I can easily imagine circumstances where I'd be forced to ride with a stinky lid!

I found the answer to "pre-treating" your helmet for possible odor problems during a recent endurance rally...

With my R1200RT in the shop for service , I made last minute adjustments and took the F800ST. The bike did great, but I found that opening a V8 juice at highway speeds is way different on a non-full-fairing bike. With the tomato juice instantly aerosoled when I brought it up to helmet height, two things instantly became apparent:

1. I would not need to worry about skunks while enjoying a stint in the Iron Butt Motel, and

2. V8 juice may be good for your insides, but stings like a bad boy in you eyes!!!

All my helmets already stink, should I replace them?

No, just wash the liners!

My old Shoei sat in my garage for several years unused (by me). When it came time to ride the Dragon with friends while I was between bikes, I grabbed it and left. Not until I put it on did I realize that my old friend had been consorting with numerous small critters for the intervening years. The smell of lizard urine :eek: and who knows what else were annoying but I just kept the visor up the whole time and tried not to think about what else had been in my bucket. When I got home, it went into the round file, gladly, with many thanks for years of great service.

Archived