IGNORED

Gas Cap Orientation

moshe_levy

moshe_levy

All-

I hate the way the 1200RT's gas cap opens towards the rider. On my R1150RT it opened away from the rider, making fill ups easier because it's just more convenient to place the nozzle and "look in" that way. Is there any reason the cap can't be reoriented by reinstalling it facing backwards from stock?

-MKL

I went on out to the garage and took off the cap - nice to be able to do something bike related. There is a notch in the 6 o'clock position that prevents a simple 180 rotation. It *appears* that one could simply cut out the plastic at the 12 o'clock position to accommodate the hinge of the cap and be good to go - depending on the severity of the annoyance factor of the cap opening as is.

5082.jpg.99c2b3154bd48f5cf344479a79ff6383.jpg

RideOregon

Search the ADVrider site. I'm sure I've seen a writeup on reversing the cap. Just need to make a notch 180 degrees from the original notch.

Sailorlite

From Workin's photo above, it appears that the 2 screws at the hinge side might be slightly farther apart than the 2 at the opposite side. I guess it would be prudent to measure this before carving up the plastic.

Make a notch... ugh... Why couldn't it just be like the old bike?

-MKL

It's to make you forget about the turn signals...

:/

Go ahead and notch out the plastic, the mounting screws are the same all around. The tank bag sits on the rails and it makes no difference which way the cap opens.

I turned mine around about a year ago. Now I am always trying to open it up the wrong way as I got used to it opening up towards me!

Not only it opens the wrong way, but the key turn opposite of any other bike I owed.

One day I will break the key for sure. ( may be) :)

If it opened under the stress of an accident, would you feel the same way if you slid forward and it caught you in your what could be called a sensitive spot?

If it opened under the stress of an accident, would you feel the same way if you slid forward and it caught you in your what could be called a sensitive spot?

If that opened under the stress of an accident I'm sure you would have already met the stress of bars and shield as you "slid forward"

If it opens under stress in an accident, I think that's the least of my worries at the moment!

(Turned my cap around long ago.)

It never ceases to amaze me the little and insignificant things we argue and worry about here. :rofl:

It is a motorcycle forum.... if the bike would be perfect in every aspect, we would still talk or complain about something, you know that :)

Plus consider that we all have unique perception, how it should have been built.

Throw in the uniqueness of a BMW where most things are different of mainstream bikes. YES BMW has two wheels and use gasoline, but all other things are different (just about)just look at that engine, suspension, trans, drive line and so on. BMW just now -2010- starting to use normal turn signal switches on the RT like everybody else.

I wish my RT would have a single central unit for turn signal/ cancel, horn hi/low beam. One hand operation all in one place...how convenient.

I have my RT for a while but I still scramble for that horn button when needed.

Archived