IGNORED

Visit to the Hardware Store

Selden

The cast on my right foot came off Tuesday, and I finally got to see some X-rays of what's inside. It kind of looks like I had an accident in the fasteners section of Home Depot.

Good news is that things are healing well, and my ankle didn't feel nearly as frozen as expected after being immobilized for 10 weeks. The bad news is that I was advised that the swelling will take another 6-12 months to go down. I tried putting on my Aerostich boot (which has a huge opening, and a roomy fit) yesterday, and it's absolutely a no go at this stage of recovery. I took a hot tub bath yesterday, which felt absolutely wonderful.

5081.jpg.0e8be481918f74d836e9a3bffeb9d3c8.jpg

Oh Gawd, now we have another person causing long lines at the airport screening areas. :D

How all works out well.

Nice n Easy Rider

Geez Selden. That's a lot of hardware for just one foot. I'm guessing that you'll usually be stopping with your right foot down first now (whether you want to or not :grin:).

Hope the swelling goes down faster than they said and you can get out sooner than expected. :)

Don't know or remember the story on this.....???

Anyway, does not look fun!!! The research center where i work does a lot of bunions and the like. It is not a pretty surgery......fill me in as I am curious now!!!!

Also, it does appear that Home Depot was at least a supplier of parts! :grin:

Do you know if they are torx? Only fitting.

:rofl: Got a laugh out loud at the comment, but not the x-ray :( . Best wishes for a speedy recovery. I'm having a few screws put into one of my ankles as well - falling down the stairs of all things.

Best of luck

Congratulations on escaping the cast! Have you tried sitting in the shade with your newly "born" foot in the sun? Try it, you might like it.

And from now on if someone asks if you have a screw loose you can confidently answer "maybe" and be totally accurate!

Answers to questions:

March 19, on a steep downhill road, maybe 10 mph (because it was my wife's bike, and I was looking out for gravel) blind S curve filled with gravel. I made it through the left, but was so far out of line that the right wasn't doable, and aimed for a nice leaf-lined ditch. Unfortunately, the frame, at about the swingarm pivot, came down on my right foot. I was wearing lightweight Alpinestars boots, with armor on the front of the shin, but none on the foot. Had I been wearing my Aerostich Combat Touring boots, I'm certain I would have had nothing worse than a bruised instep.

A local passing by helped me lift the bike, and I rode it 2 miles back to the house, washed the mud off, parked it in the garage, climbed a set of stairs (all while using a sledge hammer as a cane), and put my foot in a bucket of ice water for 90 minutes until my wife arrived. Left wrist was also broken, but not displaced. Adrenaline is great stuff. Other than a few scrapes on the fairing (Ninja 250) the bike is in fine shape.

The hardware (2 plates, eleven screws) is permanent, unless two screws sticking out the bottom start bothering me, in which case the surgeon offered to remove them. I told him they were going to have to bother me an awful lot before I was letting him in there again.

Torx or Phillips head? Dunno. Only a motorcycle geek would ask. :thumbsup:

I think the Terminator franchise is closed. Ahnold is getting a little old for that role, and I'm older than him.

yabadabapal

Im amazed by that xray. What did the doc say as far as what you should do and what you should not do for the nest 6-12 months. Is there any type of therapy or alternative (acupuncture)therapy that would help.

When and how will you know when its ok to get back on a motorcycle.

Keep up the good work, get better.

Been there, done that, got the hardware on my left ankle to prove it (broken ankle, dislocated ankle, torn tendons, broken leg, caused by a dog). I asked about removing the hardware after recovery, and was told I could have that done, but by the time I got through SIX months of recovery and 3 operations, I didn't want them to open up that foot again.

You're going to have to keep that foot elevated - the swelling was the worst part for me, and part of what extended my recovery by months.

Tough injury. Get well soon.

- Scott

Man you should give some kind of warning before just putting that x-ray up there.. :eek:

I'm thinking prolly nightmares tonight...

Good luck ..

Heal fast.. :thumbsup:

John Ranalletta
Man you should give some kind of warning before just putting that x-ray up there.. :eek:

I'm thinking prolly nightmares tonight...

Good luck ..

Heal fast.. :thumbsup:

You know it. Anybody else's pucker string draw up at the sight of that xray?

My Pucker factor was *extremely* high.

Man...

Interesting that the whole thing looks like it was put back together by a backwoods carpenter with all the screws going every which way...

I've had "lots" of orthopedic work done over the years and I always marvel at what doctors can achieve.

I also think about what life was like just a hundred years ago when a fall from a horse could end your working career... and ruin your quality of life.

Good luck and speedy recovery.

JohnnyJ

iNSIDE or outside of the foot..?

Wow-wuh - now dat's some kinda hardware, brother

Best :

Selden,

Good to hear that the cast is off and you can start walking normal again. I only have 5 screws in the plate for my broken Fibula and my x-ray looks wimpy compared to yours :)

Hey, that is a great option for those traffic light loop detectors that a motorcycle sometimes will not activate. Just put your foot down! Maybe it'll catch on, only we'll put the steel parts in the boots, not the foot.

Get well soon,

Archived