IGNORED

Day 1 of the Clampetts go to Torrey,..

Matts_12GS

Matts_12GS

It all seems to go back to June of 09 when I tried to catch up with LawnChairBoy A.K.A Uncle Jed while in Tidewater buying my (A.K.A Jethro) GS.

We didn't make it.

So, we tried again at New Years while we were visiting friends.

We didn't make it.

So, in January while helping a friend pack up to deploy to Afghanistan we tried a third time.

Drinks were had. Lots of German food. Philosophy and scotch were discussed and the Torrey seed planted. It went like this...

"Dude, you need to come to Torrey with me"

"Dude, I don't have 3 weeks to ride out there and back"

"Dude, don't be such a $%@%^@$%@$%@ %^#^&$^$ (recording is garbled here, seems scotch spilled on the recorder and all

there is are licking sounds) :S

About 4 weeks later as I sat quietly at work one day I get a text...

"Dude, meet me for a drink, I'm in town tonight only..."

I rode down. We had beers. The hook was tested:

"Dude, meet me along the way and we can trailer to Torrey"

"Dude, I don't know if I can take that much time"

"Dude, you NEED to come with me..."

887590386_Nv8yi-M.jpg

We agreed, that I would indeed accompany and that we'd meet in Nashville on our way to the I70 corridor.

I said, "I wonder if we can meet at Shannon's (A.K.A. ShannieMae) house? Wouldn't that be something if she wanted to go too?"

"No, that'd be @$%@$@% EPIC...! We better lean on her about this at BRR."

Nonetheless, we leaned, it worked and on Saturday May 15th the Clampetts loaded up for Torrey.

Uncle Jed surveyed the "rig" the rainy Sunday morning we took off for parts west:

880407375_YtM84-M.jpg

Next stop: I70...

It's a Ford, so I'm guessing that at some point you had to abandon the vehicle and ride your bikes the rest of the way? Sorry for the spoiler. :grin:

Matts_12GS
and then...?

We're working on Part II, "Enter the Snuggie!" but those pictures exist on someone else's SD card...

Patience grasshopper.

BeniciaRT_GT
and then...?

We're working on Part II, "Enter the Snuggie!" but those pictures exist on someone else's SD card...

Patience grasshopper.

Well here is a teaser:

880864050_SrWyM-L.jpg

Uncle Jed's Dodge moved faster than this here tale. :P

It does look like the cement pond was gettin' a good refill when y'all left out though.

I've left ... I'm home now, so you don't have to keep me entertained anymore so get on with the story! :grin:

Lone_RT_rider
It's all on Shannie Mae now, her camera has all those pictures...

Ut oh.... take a valium and grab the shine, were in for a long wait folks. *he ducks* :rofl:

Matts_12GS

Ok,

So.... Those of you who read the build up thread or were at BRR know that there were rules on this trip. Those societal norms were to be the glue that held this trip together and kept us from offing each other in the night and lobbing the bodies into a canyon some place.

We also decided that as a rough order for driving, more or less we rotated the driver and navigator at each gas stop. Drive, navigate, nap, drive. That way the person just waking up has no clue to conditions/location or impending weather. It works...

Really.

Leading off, since it was his truck and trailer Uncle Jed led us into the rain. We had a cooler of bottled water and diet coke, some healthy snacks and even the makings of a good and healthy energy lunch designed to keep us out of fast food joints as well as help us power through the night so we could make Ouray in a single day of driving.

Halfway through the first tank of gas we're someplace in KY at a McDonald's... I think there was a missed turn early on and we were trying to get to the wrong connector back to our regular path.

Awright already!!! Here ... some of us had to get back to the real world for awhile :P

Well, I-70 would be the next stop ... eventually. But first I had to make sure that rig was loaded properly 'cause goodness knows Uncle Jed and Jethro sure didn't So, I filled a small cooler with snacks (bananas, nutty bars, beef jerky etc)

2010Torrey012.jpg

but more important was I grabbed my favorite pillow and .... THE SNUGGIE!!!!

2010Torrey010.jpg

Once Chris got settled in with the snuggie, I took over driving, in this mess:

2010Torrey008.jpg

After several hours, I was very happy to hand the driving over to Jethro at about Kansas City so someone else had to do the drive across Kansas

:/

lawnchairboy

I believe I took it in Kansas as night closed in.... I-70: Kansas. Is there anything else really necessary to describe?

We headed off to the south around Oakley, KS enroute to Co Springs via KS40 and CO94. It had gotten very late, sleeping noises and random gaseous emissions were commencing without warning from Jethro in the front seat while Shannie Mae got her beauty rest in the back seat safely wrapped up and snuggilicious. Around midnight or so, at some point after crossing into CO, we hit the absolute worst pea soup fog I have ever seen, that includes while at sea. Visibility was around 50feet and I was forced to a very slow crawl for a couple of hours, found a place to pull off once but the bear next to me in the front of the cab was sawing the lumber so I said screw it and kept moving at about 30mph. Around 3 am or so, I threw up the while flag and poured an ice cold red bull down the front of jethro's drawers...(not really) and he took the reins. After this, I remember snatching little 20 minute naps in the front while Shannie Mae continued her beauty rest in the snuggi burrito.

It was shortly after this, 4-5AM that we were coming down 94, which is long and straight and you can see the lights of CO springs for a good ways as you come in. There were several instances of very little apparent gravity in the truck, one of which jolted me from a micro nap... I asked in jethro was OK, all I got was "critter".

The gravity got turned off a couple of more times as we progressed, much as a meteor, down from the high ground and into CO springs, where the gas station hunt commenced, again. Shannon was apparently beautiful enough at this point to take the wheel again and gratefully, the next time I woke up, around 9AM, we were to the west of Pueblo on 50 running by the water......

2010Torrey013.jpg

....... Who's next?

That's it????!!!! We waited for days for this??

Real world activities can wait. We demand more.

lawnchairboy

good things come to those who wait, transporter of incompetent dirt riders....

:wave:2010Torrey009.jpg

Shannie-Mae did keep the men-folk from becoming thirsty by using the redneck, rear bed cooler access port from time to time.... it was that, or there was inappropriate GS lust going on back there, I was scared to look. :grin:

I'll never tell!! :rofl:

Here's a shot of Jethro before strange noises began getting emitted:

2010Torrey006.jpg

And yes, I did need the beauty rest, but seriously who can pass up a chance to be a snuggie burrito???

Snuggielicious1.jpg

And now ... for a preview of "Day 2" ;)

2010Torrey021.jpg

2010Torrey026.jpg

2010Torrey023.jpg

But I'll let Uncle Jed or Jethro get that going ... :lurk:

Well here is a teaser:

880864050_SrWyM-L.jpg

I invented the Snuggie (of course I didn't have a name for it) 25 years ago but my family thought I was nuts, so I never followed up on it. Oh the opportunities missed! :cry:

Matts_12GS

Day 2 found us leaving Pueblo heading toward Montrose and getting our first real glimpses of CO scenery. If saw any of our posts on facebook along the way, you know our opinions of Colorado.

890783910_mzwvG-M.jpg

880406701_jahNq-M.jpg

890785923_iu2wd-M.jpg

Up and over Monarch pass, past the reservoir near Gunnison and then into Montrose heading for Ouray we pushed on

Finally making it to Ouray and getting settled into the campground we decided that this might be a good rest and relax day instead of a riding day. We'd spent 26 hours only inches apart and between my snoring, Jed's gaseousness and Shannie-Mae's hogging of the snuggie it would be a good day to do nothing.

So we did.

We unpacked the bikes and sorted our gear for riding the next day, we got some food up in Ridgeway and decided to have some drinks and cook dinner at the campground.

2010Torrey022.jpg

2010Torrey025.jpg

2010Torrey029.jpg

It was idyllic, great friends good chow and wonderful surroundings.

We never expected what would await us on Day 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matts_12GS
Nice!!!!

Which camp ground/cabin is that????

KOA in between Ouray and Ridgeway. Bring your own linens and you're good to go! Get the space heater in the early season, DAMHIK

Nice!!!!

...Get the space heater in the early season, DAMHIK

Wasn't the Snuggie big enoungh for everyone?

Nice!!!!

...Get the space heater in the early season, DAMHIK

Wasn't the Snuggie big enoungh for everyone?

The whole point of a manufactured Snuggle is that you no longer need to.

Day 2 found us leaving Pueblo heading toward Montrose and getting our first real glimpses of CO scenery. If saw any of our posts on facebook along the way, you know our opinions of Colorado.

I believe the quote was

"Colorado doesn't suck!" :grin:

lawnchairboy

after Matt got a message from the mother ship...

2010Torrey034.jpg

we were well rested and ready to see some of SW CO. Having been through the area before it was very enjoyable to take Matt and Shannie-mae up from Ridgeway on 50, into Montrose and then to turn east heading back to Gunnison and the canyon. It was great, very little to no traffic and gorgeous as always.

2010Torrey035.jpg

shannon is still figuring out the new camera with the fancy automatic timer...

then Matt decides he has had enough of my S^%$ for this trip and makes like I'm gonna be swimming the canyon.

2010Torrey036.jpg

2010Torrey038.jpg

the weather was terrible

2010Torrey039.jpg

2010Torrey041.jpg

2010Torrey044.jpg

2010Torrey045.jpg

2010Torrey046.jpg

2010Torrey047.jpg

2010Torrey048.jpg

2010Torrey049.jpg

All in all, Colorado did not suck that day. We RTB'd back to the KOA and roughed it appropriately and cranked on the space heater :thumbsup:

2010Torrey050.jpg

2010Torrey051.jpg

:/ I feel the need to add a few pics to this day to explain why societal norms were in danger at this point:

2010Torrey030.jpg

2010Torrey031.jpg

2010Torrey024.jpg

This was really about the time I began wondering "WTF was I thinking?!?" :rofl:

What Uncle Jed didn't mention, is that we got back to the campground and thought we might try to take a run up to Telluride, but ended up in pouring rain and then sleet about 12 miles outside of Ridgeway. Wisely we turned around and headed back to that wine :grin:

Matts_12GS

Man, that was a great day, even more so after the demon of pork loins past tried to derail it!!!!!!!!!

This chart reminds me of our conversations on the trip...

28549_398550331362_626536362_4742243_7102774_n.jpg

But then again, Day 3 had nothing on Day 4!

This was really about the time I began wondering "WTF was I thinking?!?" :rofl:

Now that's a riot! :grin: I've had a few of those moments myself.

Great story! :thumbsup:

Pat

Some liquored up southern boys... drinking.gif

Now how could that possibly go wrong??

I'm hearing strains from Dueling Banjos, just about now. . . :grin:

Matts_12GS

Riding (CO/US????)92 up throuhg the Gunnison Gorge was one of the prettiest parts of the trip. Weather was unbelievable, traffic non-existent and conditions were favorable for "sighthooning."

We stopped in a couple places, including the Pioneer Point Overlook, thanks again to Uncle Jed for pointing out that I had blowed right on past it on the road...

880404612_GKx7q-M.jpg

We got the rain/sleet/snow heading back out toward Telluride on 62 from Ridgeway and that was when we decided it was wine:30.

All in all a tremendous day for team Clampett!

880405204_DiKst-M.jpg

Matts_12GS

Up and out early Chris and I make it to Ridgeway for coffee and we find...

This...

887590788_3Uq3W-M.jpg

From the picture it's hard to tell if the bran muffin started to work or if something else is wrong...

Rousting Shannie-Mae we head off to get geared up and rolling so we can cover a lot of ground today.

Heading up highway 62 we break out onto highway 141 to 90 to 491 heading southwest. On 491 I look up and Chris is gone, rolling over the horizon, apparently a victim of the acceleration flu. Gripping the loud handle and putting it on the stops we chase after him.

We make a quick pit stop and come out to find that Uncle Jed has been replaced with the Java Monster!

887589782_nmMAe-M.jpg

Heading on up the road, we decide not to hit the Four Corners and instead go straight on up to Durango, do some shopping and hit the Million Dollar Highway heading back to Ouray.

Weather is great, warm in town but a little chilly up the mountain. Skies are clear, not a lot traffic and we have the road ahead!

Climbing and climbing until we get close to Silverton where we pull off into the Molas Pass overlook.

880409780_aSqki-M.jpg

880409378_8f7Fx-M.jpg

880408698_9sALY-M.jpg

Even a gratuitous group picture:

880412336_LzzLd-M.jpg

It was simply gorgeous up there on the mountain.

And the hi-viz Abominable O-man came into view!

880411865_KBfGS-M.jpg

Wind and weather had been factors all day as we rode east into Cortez and later Durango. It finally started looking like it was getting close so we put some leather to the horses and decided to make some hay while the sun was shining. The metaphor police were on low alert that day!

Past Silverton we're on the home stretch back to the cabin when we decided to try and check out an overlook over an old mine operation. It had a decent amount of snow blocking the path so we didn't go on up there in name of safety...

887590010_xNrZS-M.jpg

Back onward, loving the ride on the million dollar highway when we got back into Ouray. Right there in the middle of the street was a huge doe that I think was contemplating eating Chris' sunglasses as she sauntered across 550. Big as an RT, completely unconcerned about anyone else being there.

There're more pictures, I'll let the others add them.

Man, that was a great day, even more so after the demon of pork loins past tried to derail it!!!!!!!!!

This chart reminds me of our conversations on the trip...

28549_398550331362_626536362_4742243_7102774_n.jpg

But then again, Day 3 had nothing on Day 4!

You mean minus the red part right? :rofl:

Archived