IGNORED

Unknown tail light enhancement(R1150RT)

crmdgn

The previuous owner installed a piece that lets the tail light flash quickly when the brake is first applied, and then it settles to just a brake light. However, I have been told, by those riding behind me, that it seems to act erratically(erotically I could live with, lol. Today, I had two felloiw bikers riding behind me and they commented that this unit seemed to go on in all kinds of situations, or not, and then work as a regular light. One thought there may be an adjustble mercury switch that detects when i slow down, but it seems too sensitive/broken.

Any thoughts but most of all, where might this unit be located? I like the concept but having a flashing going on willy nilly seems counter productive.

Thoughts

thanks, paul

Paul,

I am not familiar with the device you describe.However, sounds to me like some connection problems with the wires going to the device. Do you know the manufacturer of the unit?

You may want to remove it and do a stock hook-up??

That's my problem. I do not know who made the unit and do not know where it might bem so i can remove or adjust, whatever is needed. I will check with the dealer and they can check with the previous owner and get more info. Just thought someone might have some ideas, especialloy where it might be located.

Thanks for your suggestions. Will hgave to do some more homework here.

paul

Keep those thoughts coming in. It is the actual brake light, not an add on like Hyper Lights. Will need to do some further sleuthing but not sure what I am looking for.

paul

I put one on my 04 and it is a direct replacement for an 1157 bulb.Check the bulb area . I think mine was made by Kisan.

Should have taken pics once I had it out but the bulb unit has four(4)connectors on it(definitely not a standard I believe) with one loose connector(maybe if there were other lights?)and the bulb itself is a two unit LED. It says "gizmo.... on the bottom but a search shows nothing. I cleaned the terminals, put on WD40, hooked it all back up, and voila, it works, but then it did this before, lol.

I would go with a standard bulb but with these connectors, not sure what i would need to do.

Anyway, at this point I will just ride with it until I can figure out my next step

Thanks

paul

Its the Gizmo Mill unit and they and the folks who took them over, are out of business. And that is with a "Lifetime Warranty"! LOL

So now I just need to explore the settings on the bottom of the light.

Go to WWW.Roadrocketeer.com(?) and they have a picture of the R1150RT unit.

I posted this on another area of this forum so sorry for the redundancy. I'll learn though at my age, most of my learning is done.

Thanks

paul

I think that Roadrocketeer was the manufacturer. There was some legal issues (isn't that always the case) between them and Gizmomill.

Sorry to hear about your problems with the lights. I have them on 4 of my bikes, and love the product!

Obviously, YMMV

scott

Road Rocketeer and Gizmo Mill were operated by the same person up in Canada....

If you are having intermittent flashes, I would check the adjustment of your foot brakelight switch...sometimes they get adjusted a little tight and cause a problem like this.

As far as the light goes, you can remove it and put a standard taillight/brakelight bulb back in the socket if you dont like operation...I use one in my GS....it took over a year and a few returns before I got one that works, but since then I havent had problems with it. I had a gizmo mill version in my 1150RT with no problems....I would check the switch....

Good Luck

Beau Gunderson
Road Rocketeer and Gizmo Mill were operated by the same person up in Canada....

Yes, and before Gizmo Mill they were also called Homebody Design.

Do not buy from the Road Rocketeer website until they offer up some answers. I ordered last October and never received a product. Their voicemail box has been full for 7 months. I got an email reply about 2 months ago apologizing but did not receive any reply after that.

I talked to their office landlord and they recently were evicted for not paying rent. Apparently Kevin's wife has cancer (which really sucks, and when I found that out I mostly stopped my research because I didn't want to antagonize either of them). I was suspicious at first but this was validated by the landlord. I wish the company would be more public about what's going on and update people. I think as soon as they got behind they just wanted to hide; some people have a personality like that.

I finally gave up and bought the light that V.I. Adventure Tech makes:

http://www.adventuretech.ca/index.php?p=shop

It's worked great for me. No issues so far and I was able to get them on the phone immediately. They actually did some circuit design for Gizmo/Road Rocketeer and got stiffed on payment. They then decided to create their own product since Road Rocketeer had basically gone defunct. I did a lot of research into the connection between them because I was suspicious about two companies making such a niche product existing in the same city (and I was still pretty angry about being burned by Road Rocketeer!)

My research into Road Rocketeer is available here, if anyone is interested:

http://beaugunderson.com/index.php/Road_Rocketeer_investigation

And if anyone is wondering, I found this thread because I have a Google Alert setup for "road rocketeer"; I don't want any other riders to get burned by them. :)

If the light is coming on at unusual times, there is the possibility you are inadvertantly puttting pressure on the rear brake pedal (most likely) or less likely, the front brake lever.

Can't address the problem,but the device sounds like a "BRAKE!" light.

don't know if they are still made. When brakes are first applied the brake light flashes very quickly for a couple of seconds then steady.

John

• 1 year later...

I am a little late to this thread, but yesterday my BRAKE! had the symptoms you describe. Also had a brake warning light on the dash. Anyway, it was a broken wire that ran from the top BRAKE! unit to the lower BRAKE! unit. Soldered it back on the back of the top unit and all is OK.

I looks like the bottom unit may have come out of the lens and was bouncing around, putting stress on the wire at the solder point.

Michael

Archived