IGNORED

Not an MC trip but I need advice

ratfink

Later this month I'll be helping my Sister move from San Francisco to San Diego.

I'll be pulling a trailer with my manual shift Jeep so I would like to avoid stop and go traffic through LA as much as possible.

I'm thinking it might be best to go through LA on a weekend Maybe stay Saturday night North of LA and go through that area early Sunday morning.

Any comments or advice?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

You should be ok S/B on 5 on a weekend as long as it isn't Sunday afternoon...maybe Saturday mornings. But, it has been a while.

Yeah, I have a comment: Are you kidding?

Rather odd for a person to put forth a comment in the form of a question.

Perhaps you have been watching too much Jeopardy????

Yup,drive thru late at night or early am!

JR356

Yeah I tried that once. It was 2:00 a.m. Saturday night and got stuck in bumper to bumper L.A. traffic because they closed the freeway to work on it. That was fun to go through after a 13 hour drive :mad:

JR356

Yeah I tried that once. It was 2:00 a.m. Saturday night and got stuck in bumper to bumper L.A. traffic because they closed the freeway to work on it. That was fun to go through after a 13 hour drive :mad:

Always a good idea to check your states road condition website before a trip.

We have a young un in school down in southern CA,so make a few trips a year.

I have personally been lucky on these trips,however other family has been on the road 8-10 hrs on a normally 5hour trip.

Never any guarantees on trips thru LALA land.

JR356

Both the 5 and the 405 are hit and miss with more hit in traffic. A easier tow about 25 minutes more would be take the 210 just south of Santa Clarita to the 15. The percent of traffic is way less. That is what I would do.

Bill_Walker
Both the 5 and the 405 are hit and miss with more hit in traffic. A easier tow about 25 minutes more would be take the 210 just south of Santa Clarita to the 15. The percent of traffic is way less. That is what I would do.

+1. That's usually better, although longer (and hotter, but since you're in a cage that won't matter). Depending on where in SD you're going to end up, you might have to cross back to I-5 at some point, on 78, 56, or 52.

As others have mentioned, you can hit a traffic jam in LA at any time of the day or night. It's especially fun with a trailer. I once had a car begin to try to merge into my lane between my truck and my boat trailer.

If you do go through LA, I usually find 405 is better than 5. 5 still has some old, narrow sections, and some really horrible pavement, and getting through the 5-10-101-60 interchange while staying on 5 is a challenge the first time or two.

JR356

Yes, I see the point about construction weekends, currently in Portland they are closing lanes of 205 NB for bridgework on weekends, so as it turns out weekends can be worse than weekdays sometimes.

I need to end up in Mission bay.

Also I had trouble before going through LA and actually staying on I5, Somehow I hit ajunction with confusing signs and....

This was in the days before GPS though.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Archived