IGNORED

broken latch

Heyfrank

Mt right side system case broke off on a drop in driveway. The metal part that clamps case to frame broke. Seems like to fix i have to replace the whole locking devise. My question is I can"t fine a part # for just the tab.BMW wants to sell the whole locking unit. Thanks for any help I can get. Bike is 2004 1150rt.

No I think you will need the whole thing. The part number is 465 423 076 20 at $193.66

However if you go to a breaker, you can get one off a crashed case and take the latch assembly out. You can then put your own lock tumbler in it.

These assemblies are about the same on the 1100/1150 RT, RS, R, & GS

On bmwriderparts.com there is a diagram of a brake down of parts for a 1200 system I don"t know how to link it to this post. I called and he said if he got the part number he could get it. about $9.00

On bmwriderparts.com there is a diagram of a brake down of parts for a 1200 system I don"t know how to link it to this post. I called and he said if he got the part number he could get it. about $9.00

The 1200 is a totally different beast.

The response from you guys is great. The link had different years that fit the k bike system also. I will try to figure out how to link it.

Yep, I see them listed for:

K1200GT

K1200RS

K1200RT

R850GS

R850R

R850RT

R1100GS

R1100RT

R1100RS

R1100R

R1150GS

R1150RT

R1150RS

R1100R

So you have a fair choice for breakers to look at!

Andy

Thanks AndyS. I found the 1150 area and I guess the breakers is the whole unit not just the broken latch part like the 1200.

I have a pair of side cases that were destroyed when I was hit and totaled my 04 RT. I know I can salvage the lock assemblys.

I am in So Cal so shipping should be cheap. PM me and we can talk price and details.

Dave

Dang it Frank, mines been broke longer than yours,now you're gettin' yours fixed before me!

If this don't work out I got a good 'redneck fix" that's been workin' fine on mine. :thumbsup:

And ya can't blame any of this on ridin' with us! :rofl:

Don J :wave:

Thanks for the laugh. For a slow drop it hit really wrong. I thought about jb weld but don"t really trust it. Looking for unit . I will try classified

I have a pair of side cases that were destroyed when I was hit and totaled my 04 RT. I know I can salvage the lock assemblys.

I am in So Cal so shipping should be cheap. PM me and we can talk price and details.

Dave

PM sent too! Need a multi function box since one of my internal latch handle castings broke at the pivot. It's easy to get the latch off the case, but I ended up buying a right angle drill attachment to access the 4 rivets deep inside the case. If your cases are too far gone to worry about a big hole then drilling at an angle or using a grinder could work instead.

I do have a RH system case available that is in very good nick. Other than a fine crack about 2 1/2 inches long on the bottom of the outside clamshell. Still closes up well and seals ok.

It is still useable but anyone with a good outer shell can R&R with theirs and you'll end up with a good side case. I am picking up a pair of system cases from a friend in CA after the Un, so this one is now available.

I would like $100 plus shipping for it or a sensible offer?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

DAVE! FRANK! OTHERS!

I need the little orange locking tab that attaches to the tumbler from an old damaged mechanism. Also not for sale without a bunch of other expensive stuff attached.

If any of you have an old broken assembly that still has the orange locking tab intact, I'll buy it for a reasonable price (I don't know what that is, but I'm sure we can find one.)

Thanks!

Tom

...I need the little orange locking tab that attaches to the tumbler from an old damaged mechanism....

Tom

Yes, really annoying how you can bend that tab and leave you stuck with loose panniers! Especially when you try and bend it back to the horizontal and it snaps off!

Andy

Wayne Cowen

MrDuck....would you share your "red neck" fix with us? I suspect there are a batch of us who have the broken cast aluminum latch problem.

MrDuck....would you share your "red neck" fix with us? I suspect there are a batch of us who have the broken cast aluminum latch problem.

Well, OK not quite as creative as those "honey I fixed it" pictures we've all seen, but here goes.....

DSCN0355.jpg

Drill a small hole thru the part of the case that hooks on the frame

DSCN0356.jpg

Next, go get some "Foo Foo" coffee for proper attitude :thumbsup:

Then, using one of mankinds greatest inventions- the zip tie-lash the case to the frame. I used white ones here for photographic clarity,black ones blend in much better! Pull them down tight and cut off the tail-volia-genuine "redneck fix"!

I hate to admit, I've been running around like this for quite a few miles now.Broke mine from tipping over while stopped, and I seem to be too cheap to spend the 200 bucks at the dealer for a part that very well could do the same thing!

This is from an 04 RT, you guys with the newer bikes are on your own. Hope this helps ya

Don J :wave:

Don, nice - nice - nice. I'm not sure if it weakens the hooky parts, but you have survived well with this 'modification', so it's doable!

Andy

yep. That is a red neck fix.Nice job. I thought about drilling through the bottom guide also but thought if it broke I might be upset with myself.

That’s a good way to spill coffee all over your bike. Don’t you know that the RT comes with a built in cup holder! :/

RT-Cup-Holder.jpg

Archived