IGNORED

Canada, Here I come!

RedHot

Okay, I'm so excited! I FINALLY got a passport and I'm leaving the country. I'm terrified but excited at the same time. First motorcycle vacation and first time taking the bike into another country. I'm going to Canada in July. Hitting Toronto and Montreal and a few other places nearby.

Here's what I need to know - this is sort of a "UNIQUE" trip to a certain degree. I don't want to visit the same ole touristy stuff. I plan to see the Parliament, visit the 45th parallel, see a Lift Lock, visit a winery or too, go to Montreal and there are a couple of places that are historical that I want to see.

Okay - so NOW, what would you say is ONE thing that I really shouldn't miss if I can find the time?? I don't really have a "Wow" stop yet and I'm trying to find one. Yes the trip is WOW in itself but I'm still looking for a good Stop.

Can you help??? What places do you suggest?

When in July? Can I assume when you say you'll see Parliament that you intend on visiting Ottawa? If yes, July 1st is a great day to be in Ottawa as it's Canada Day; lots going on. That said, I suspect you'll be getting to Ottawa a little later, am I right? I'll be riding out to California for the UnRally, so most likely I'll be on the road and not able to show you around (if you were even interested in that).

Just a reminder, you should request a Canadian proof of insurance card from your insurance carrier. Not a problem if you don't get stopped, but if you do they want to see the Canadian proof of insurance.

Well, where to start?

So much to see and so much to do. Can you provide more details as to dates and place of point of entry and exit? What sort of accommodations do your prefer?

Checked your profile and see you have Scuba interests. Tobermory is a popular destination for divers so maybe you could hook up with a club for a dive to one of the many wrecks there. In Toronto - Kensington Market and lots of great entertainment venues. Kingston - the Limestone City and Canada's first capital. Gananoque for a boat tour of the Thousand Islands. Old Montreal (did you know that the designer of the Empire State building first built a scaled down prototype in Montreal?) or better yet Quebec City.

Kath and I live just 1 1/2hrs. north of the Lift Lock you mentioned so we'll have to meet.

Paul Mihalka

If you'd like to go to Europe without going to Europe, visit Quebec City. If you like French cuisine, go to Quebec City...

Well, Canada welcomes you.

I have to say that this is the 1st time in my life that I've heard someone say that he/she was terrified of coming into Canada. Maybe some hard core criminal who was being extradited back into Canada maybe said it, but I don't know.

Anyway, everything you mentioned is close to the Toronto-Montreal corridor; but I believe the 'Wow' in Canada is the natural landscape & can be found everywhere. Canada is a huge chunk of real estate & is very difficult to truly visit in a lifetime, much less in a bike trip. All that anyone can do is take it a piece at a time and enjoy.

The Toronto-Montreal corridor will mostly show you the civilized, urbanized part of Canuckland with very little natural landscape wonders as compared to the more northern, eastern and far western parts of the country. Your best bet for sightseeing would be off the main highways and take the slower sideroads. If you're heading to see the parliament (in Ottawa?) then, this museum is worth a stop.

The 'Wow' in Canada is the sum of all around you, you'll feel it after a while, Enjoy.

Thanks for the tips! I'm going the 3rd week in July - 16 - 25.

I'm a small town country girl from central IL so living in DC was a huge adjustment and leaving the country(even if it is just to Canada) is also a little scary but exciting!

I agree, the WOW will come from everything and maybe that's enough. I've heard so many great things about Canada so I wanted to see it. Maybe this will turn in to something that I do every other year or something and visit different areas. I'm thinking if I survive this trip, then in 2012, my goal is to ride in Europe! One step at a time....

So, I will start with this and have some fun!

I like to camp, but not on this trip. I'm trying to pack, somewhat light and just hit inexpensive hotels. I plan to ride up to Erie, PA on Friday, meet a friend and then ride to Toronto on Saturday. Probably cross in Buffalo. Seeing Niagara is not a huge deal for me on this trip, maybe another time. I'm guessing that Buffalo might be a little easier to cross??

Don't worry, I've alerted the Canadian Customs Agents and they will be waiting for you. Since this is your first time into the country, they have a 'special' gift for you. :rofl:

Make sure:

your camera is charged,

you have plenty of space on your memory card for pictures,

you know how to change your GPS into Metric,

and you've mastered the art of going 'ooh' and 'ahhh' while riding through some of the most beautiful country.

Fall is the best time to be up north, but go when you can. As was already suggested - the further you get away from the US border, the more scenery you'll see and experience.

Contrary to popular belief, Canada is NOT frozen over 90% of the year.

Jim

Don't worry, I've alerted the Canadian Customs Agents and they will be waiting for you. Since this is your first time into the country, they have a 'special' gift for you. :rofl:

Make sure:

your camera is charged,

you have plenty of space on your memory card for pictures,

you know how to change your GPS into Metric,

and you've mastered the art of going 'ooh' and 'ahhh' while riding through some of the most beautiful country.

Fall is the best time to be up north, but go when you can. As was already suggested - the further you get away from the US border, the more scenery you'll see and experience.

Contrary to popular belief, Canada is NOT frozen over 90% of the year.

Jim

You're such a dork! :rofl: Besides they let you out, now I wonder if they'll let you back in???

I'm thinking if I survive this trip, then in 2012, my goal is to ride in Europe!

2012 is the end of the world. I'd modify my timetable. :wave:

Matts_12GS
2012 is the end of the world.

A half hour later in Newfoundland.

:rofl:

It's like Charles Shultz used to say... "The world can't end today, it's already tomorrow in Australia!

TazzyTazzy

Just stumbled on to this thread. BMWGirl, good luck on your trip and enjoy the ride! I'm doing the same thing, but on the west side. I'm headed to Vancouver from Sacramento. Wish I had time to make it over to the eastern side.

Taking the super slab (I-5) with extended stops in portland and seattle to visit friends. Returning VIA Victoria then down 101/1.

Thanks to pokorskij about the Canadian proof of insurance. I did not know about this! I just called my insurance provider and they said a card will be in the mail.

-Mitch

Before you cross the border, check out this handy little site:

Canadian Border Traffic

The Canadian side even has an iPhone/Blackberry version so you can stop at the McD's in Bellingham and check which crossing to use first. Similar thing over at the Peace Bridge crossing.

Mike Cassidy

What about this Nexus card??? A friend of mine has one because she does the endurance rallies and needs to cross the borders in a hurry. Do you guys use these?

What about this Nexus card??? A friend of mine has one because she does the endurance rallies and needs to cross the borders in a hurry. Do you guys use these?

I live in MN just 45 miles south of the border, and cross regularly. The passport is all you need. Nix on the Nexus card. Seldon is the crossing time excessive. I ride endurance rallies, and don't have a need for the Nexus card.

A passport is all you need. If the border crossing is busy, it may take a little longer. Otherwise you should go through fairly quickly.

Only a few land crossings have Nexus lanes, so it isn't usually an advantage.

At the airport, first thing in the morning heading out of Calgary, Vancouver or Toronto to the US is a complete other story.

Mike Cassidy

Sorry, Rod, but I disagree - a toque is REQUIRED. I believe Tina will be required to purchase one while in the country. Didn't we pass a law about that a couple years ago? All crazy American tourists need to purchase and wear a toque?

(I like that law better than the new HST that starts July 1......)

Jim

...crazy American tourists...

Jim, I think there's a redundancy here, do we really need to mention 'tourists' when describing Americans?

I'm not sure about that law, but I like your way of thinking, there really should be one.

BTW, the HST isn't so bad, we've had it here in NB for years. With the previous system of seperate provincial & federal taxes, we used to pay taxes on the tax...just crazy.

BMWGirl - Kath and I just returned from T. We picked up a couple brochures re: Introduction to T. and What's on in the Theaters. If you'd like, we'll forward them to you. PM us with your mailing address and we'll get them out to you on Monday.

You might also PM LinearEagle as he knows the wine district like the freckles on the back of his hand.

jimfastcar

I do not know if you are a member of BMWMOA but they produce a booklet with names of people willing to offer various kinds of help if needed.

Either way, you could certainly add us to the list of names if needed. We are in Oakville, which is a satellite city to Toronto on the West side, and you will be passing by us after Niagara crossing.

How can we post / share a name list for you if you want it ?

I will send you a PM

Too bad you aren't going up to Canada a week earlier. Checkout this link. http://www.sportbikerally.ca/ I've frequented this event many times since 1990. Won't make it this July as I've already been up to Ontario this year in May. One warning about Ontario. There is a law on the books that 50 kph not MPH over the speed limit is good for a potential $10,000 fine and immediate impoundment of your bike! Have fun on your trip though, as I have made many good Canadian friends over the years.

Good luck with your trip! It sounds just wonderful and I'll look forward to reading the ride tale when you get home!!

Well Cape Breton has been on my list. But that is a hike east. I may make it this year.

Passed through some of the busy part of Ontario last week on the way from Grand Rapids, MI to MA in a day's long ride. But the advice about Quebec is good. Rolling hills east of Toronto are pretty. Toronto is a lot like US cities so other than dual languages there is little different.

The threats for heavy fines for speeding is well posted but my travel from Sarnia to Niagra Falls was rapid and uneventful. Your bike is made for it. Crossing times nil. Just know your license plate number so they don't embarrass you that way. The US agent in Niagra Falls chatted about sport touring bikes as he was a Harley guy.

Bon chance.

yabadabapal

And now the final question in jeopardy is:

The most ethnically mixed city in the entire world.

The Aneswer.

What is Toronto.

You win!

Have a great trip and take a french hand book for Montreal

and Quebec city.

How come no one has suggested she try poutine while she's there? What is more unique and more Canadian than poutine?

Jim

Paul -

I'm also suggesting she head north towards our favourite playground and see the Segwun and surrounding area. For a first trip to Canada, might as well show off some of the best.

Jim

How come no one has suggested she try poutine while she's there? What is more unique and more Canadian than poutine?

Jim

How about a Caesar (as in the alcholic drink)?

Jim

Sorry Jim, this doesn't look appetizing to me. :(

POUTINE

You order it and I'll take a bite. :grin:

Jim

Sorry Jim, this doesn't look appetizing to me. :(

POUTINE

You order it and I'll take a bite. :grin:

Otherwise known as heart attack on a plate. It's a Quebec "dish".

• 3 weeks later...

Okay you NY boys....Here's a question for you - EZ Pass - does my VA EZ Pass work on the NY toll roads? I heard I will hit tolls in NY up to Buffalo and somewhere else, and then again in Canada somewhere.

So I was going to bring the EZ Pass - what do you think?

Also - Okay - radar detector will stay home - but what about my SPOT? Can I take that or will that freak them out as well? I thought I would bring the little brochure thing that describes what it is so they don't think it's a radar detector. What do you think?

Thanks for your help!!!

Tina

So I was going to bring the EZ Pass - what do you think?

Definitely bring the EZ Pass, it's the only way to go. I never leave home without it. It will work in any state that uses EZ Pass - just make sure your account balance is good. :thumbsup:

Glad to see this thread active once again. First, I'll side with RT-Jim but combine his posts to a Caesar ON the Segwun.

Phoned the 407ETR toll road company and learned the following: Sad news is that your EZ Pass will not work on their hwy, good news is that your VA plate will not be billed for travel on the 407 - which is the ONLY toll road in Ontario. The 407 crosses the top of Toronto and is not nearly as busy as the Queensway on the south side or the always packed 401 on the north side. But I never ride in the city so I'm biased to quiet(er) roads. No toll roads in Quebec (yet).

So, how is the itinerary progressing? Can we expect you in Haliburton? Bunkie (you'll have to ask Jamie and Leslie for permission tho) and/or boathouse loft available if you're this way.You will however be asked to leave your plate behind - see comment above on 407 toll charges. :grin:

Forgot to add: Spot exists in Canada, heck they're even talking about us getting Talkies in our movie theatres soon. As for radar, you can have it but just disconnect it (even better store it away) so that you can demonstrate that you are not using it. That is to say having it is legal, using it is not. That kind of thinking came in with the metric system! :dopeslap:

Paul - you are awesome!!! Thank you!!! I think we are going to be in your area around the 21st. I'll pm you my info.

Thanks so much for your help!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm posting this from Paul and Kath's house!! HAVING A GREAT TRIP so far!!!

Thanks Paul for letting us stay here!! :clap:

Paul and Kath are the best!

Paul and Kath are the best!

+1!

You're all too kind. Miss you bunches. Tina had us smiling and laughing all the time she was here. We told her the loons would serenade her, we just didn't tell her at 1:00 am, 2:00 am, 3:00 am...

And who would have thought butter tarts were a Canadian phenomenon - but Tina, three in one go??? :rofl: (Did I say that out loud?) :wave:back

Archived