IGNORED

fuel sending unit and decreased mileage

Jeff's RT

I noticed that my fuel gage was not going all the way to the top and also the last couple tanks of fuel that my mileage has dropped from around 42 to 38 could there be any connection??? I just rolled 100,000 on my bike. Any help or thoughts would be great

Low max-fuel indication is usually down to corrosion on the electrical connectors. At your mileage, I would be looking at O2 sensor degredation for the poor fuel consumption.

Andy

Jeff,

Remove the RH fairing and separate the connector tied to the frame just above the throttle body. This is the connector to the display.

I had the same problem and after using contact cleaner the display went to 90% height. I guess there is an additional connector that needs the same treatment but I do not know where it is

regards,

Ian

Thanks I will look into that

On the O2 Sensor what are my options other than the $239 BMW factory one?

If its the canister on the right side by the back bag it was just put on new about a month ago.

How do you go about checking it?

Thanks I will look into that

On the O2 Sensor what are my options other than the $239 BMW factory one?

NGK OZA522-BM1 is a plug'n'play alternative. Beemer Boneyard sell an Unversal sensor for about $75, but I would opt for the non-universal type if possible. I bought mine in the UK from Lambdapower who also export to the USA.

Andy

Dave Faria

I wonder if your bike has gotten smoother at 100k. At abt 70k miles my bike got a lot smoother. I used to use vibration as an indicator of RPM and I stayed in the 3.5k to 4.3k RPM range. I would get in the 42 to 45mpg range. Now witout realizing it I find myself running around 4.5k to 4.7k RPM range. My MPG is 38 to 40. Speed was also based on vibration - I have to watch it.

Dave Faria

I don't know where to ask but in the last year I've been getting gas that is up to 10% ethanol. I wonder how much that affects MPG???

I don't know where to ask but in the last year I've been getting gas that is up to 10% ethanol. I wonder how much that affects MPG???

It decreases it, but not by a lot. Ethanol by volume has about 65% of the energy content of gasoline, but you’re only taking about 10% of the total volume of the fuel you're purchasing.

Archived