IGNORED

MP3 jack for RT Radio?

essman

I just bought a 2005 R1200RT and, unlike the newer ones, I don't think the radio has a jack for an MP3 player. I was wondering if anyone has wired one into the radio?

There is a connection you can buy from BMW that plugs into one of the two accessory sockets on the back of the CD unit. Be warned, it is a bit pricey and you will almost definately need a boostaroo to get a decent output, the socket doesn't seem to be powered so your ipod/MP3 provides the output power for the music. At least thats how it is on my 06 RT.

I had the same question for my 05 RT and according to my local dealer there is a cable set available but NOT for the 05. It is only for the 06 to 09, and it costs over $100. Ridiculous. Too bad for us 05 owners.

Regards

Bernd

Thanks for all the help. So, I'm looking at $100 plus and I will probably need an amp. Any suggestions on how to amp it up?

I bought a "boostaroo" to put inline with MP3 output, works really well for my tastes. Only challenge...its battery powered, so you end up changing AA's every other day, its a good work around for it though. SOmething a freind did rather than the boostaroo, he bought an FM transmitter to attach to his MP3, once tuned it is louder and actually sounds better.

I use the MP3 feature from my Zumo and find that the volume is sufficient from the GPS unit.

I do have to readjust the volume when switching between Radio & Aux though; as the Aux does need more volume.

Guess I just need to buy a Zumo 550, which i have been seriously considering. There is a $100 rebate right now, but I can't get past the $150 fro the XM receiver/antenna.

Archived