IGNORED

Throttle body clack

ozmojo

I get a knocking/clacking/hard tapping sound from my 04RT after it reaches operating temp. It seems to eminate from the right side. I have no unusual noise at start up so I'm of the opinion that its might not be the left hand cam chain tensioner. I could be wrong because it normally starts making the noise after I stop at a store for moment and restart it. I use Mobil 1 20w50 and I've read here that it can cause a little more noise from the engine but I've used it for a year now and this developed about a month ago. The bike is just at 20,000 miles. This problem started awhile after I took it out for a nice run through the gears and red line approach. It did want to cut out at the upper limits but I associated that with the governor cut out. Do you think it's a cam chain tensioner or throttle body noise. TB's sync are spot on and the bike runs great , but the noise is butt ugly.

This is your RH TB clacking against the stop.

You can (quite anally :eek:) stop this by adding a smidge extra slack to the cables when you do the TBS. You can then take any of the excess throttle cable slack from the TB end by adjusting it out using the twistgrip end adjuster :thumbsup:.

Thanks Phil. A couple of questions. Why does it do it hot and not cold :S and has anyone put out a video or pictorial on this remedy? It doesn't sound difficult I just like to do a walk through first.

It could be the TB pulley hitting against the stop, but you only have 20,000 miles. This condition is usually found on bikes with higher mileage.

Good thing is that it is very easy to confirm if it is as Phil suggests...

Twist the throttle every so slightly, thereby moving the pulley away from the stop, and if the clacking stops you've got your answer.

It does lighten the noise with slight throttle twist but will increase again if I hold it or give it a little more gas.Does that sound about right?

Like Ed said, if it still does this with the throttle cracked open a smidgeon, could well be a badly adjusted tappet or wide rocker arm clearance.

If it appears to lessen/go away over 1500rpms or so, then it is most likely a tappet/rocker arm issue.

ProductUser

I noticed a bit more noise when I switched from dino to synthetic (15/50). When my bike gets hot, the right side will make clacking noise. This is likely the cause of the rocker arm end play not in the low end of the tolerance scale. I'm good with that; it's not worth the trouble in my opinion.

Well this is an update to my clacking noise . I did a valve adjustment today and while I was at it I adjusted the rocker arm end play. The end play was at .010 which was were it was two years ago when I did my last valve adjustment. It's a tedious task but managed to reset it to .004-.005 and then I did the valves of course. They were off alittle after the reset but are spot on now.I regaped the plugs to .035 and put the motor parts back on . I hooked up the Twinmax, took it for a ride to warm it up and check the sync. It surprisingly was near perfect so I didn't adjust it at all.It ran quiet and I didn't get the clack...yet. So I'll ride it and see if it comes back. If it does I'll try slacking the TB cable a smidge next. The noise was definately from the right side . I used my mechanics stethiscope and you could hear it through the valve cover but was it really clear on the exhaust pipe. Fingers crossed.

Archived