IGNORED

Spark plug holes(R1150RT)

crmdgn

not even sure where to look(spark plug hole leaks etc) but there is a slight film of oil/dirt around the primary spark plug hole. I have those funky highway pegs that mount over the plug but as i went through the bike again just checking everything, I found this misty stuff. Only on the left plug.

Any thoughts? Also found thst I will need to drop the lower fairing, it seems, to actually remove those pegs(WTF????)as I could not get the torx wrench into remove the bottom bolt.

Any thoughts/

Thanks

paul

At the bottom of the plug hole is a round rubber "donut" valve cover gasket that is changed, rotated or "indexed" on the valve cover before you install it. If the gasket wasn't indexed or has too many re-uses, it could and/or probably will leak.

Similar post here..

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=575040&Searchpage=1&Main=51977&Words=%22valve+cover+gasket%22&Search=true#Post575040

Hi Paul,

Those 'funky' highway pegs are OK, but be VERY careful about the mounting of them on these rocker cover bolts.

The bolts are designed just to hold the cover sufficiently tightly to stop oil escaping from the covers. With pegs fitted, the bolts are in much more aggressive use and have been known to break.

Now, to your oil misting.

Under the rocker cover are 2 gaskets.

The first one (the outer) seals the outside of the rocker cover, and the 2nd seals...you guessed it, the inside part where the spark plug passes through.

Oftentime when the rocker covers are fitted, the central (inside one) can be slightly mal fitted and can seap (or even pour) oil out.

As Bob said, If you remove the cover, clean both rubber gaskets, make sure they are located correctly and that the central one is fitted in a slightly different orientation this time - you will probably get a good seal. Don't over tighten those rocker cover mounting bolts.

Andy

Those 'funky' highway pegs are OK, but be VERY careful about the mounting of them on these rocker cover bolts.

The bolts are designed just to hold the cover sufficiently tightly to stop oil escaping from the covers. With pegs fitted, the bolts are in much more aggressive use and have been known to break.

Andy, it sounds as though the OP has the ELF pegs that mount within the sparkplug channels of the valve covers rather than under the long valve cover bolts. Either type will put some unintended forces on the valve covers and their attachments but should not pose problems if excessive weight is not applied.

Archived