IGNORED

Anyone here using a Kontour seat

Bud

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this just sucks. My new Kontour seat will be here on Monday and today I see THIS AD for what I had been looking for for over a year.

Oh well, I hope the Kontour is as good as they say.

Report to follow.

I look forward to hearing how you like the Kontour, a real person eval will help me determine if its worth it or not.

There are multiple riders in our local BMW club that have the Kontour seat on their GS's, and they love them. I have inspected/admired the seats and they appear to be very nice. The unique fabric covering is the perfect solution to many typical complaints. They are 'grippy', prevent standing water, and allow cool air to pass-through; thereby, preventing 'hot-spots' on longer rides. By far the best solution I have seen yet.

Too early to say. It sits LOWER than my stock seat which I did not expect (but also didn't ask about before hand, my bad). It is "cool" in the temp sense. Great air flow thru the 3D cover.

I've only put 150 miles on it since it came this week so I can not give a fair evaluation.

On Wed I'm riding straight thru to Denver, 850 miles, so I will have a better idea then.

The seat is very thin and very light compared to a stock seat.

Compared to my Corbin it is a flyweight!

Going to attempt the Redmond 1000 IBA ride on the 10th of July from Cheyenne, WY to Redmond, OR. That will be a real test of comfort.

Be back home by July 28th (retired) and should have a real good evaluation at that time as I will have over 6K miles, at least, on this trip.

New tires, oil, filter, rear brakes today.

BTW Pilot Road 2's came off today and another pair went back on. Had 13,100 miles on them and would have put 2K more on if not going on a long trip.

With Road Smarts I only got 7K. Yes the PR2 fronts were noisy but still neutral in the corners.

Hope you like it, cause if you dont, good luck getting it adjusted.

I really wanted to like mine, but it was a torture device, worse than stock. After a pissing match back and forth, he finally allowed me to send the seat back for adjustment, then admited they had got a bad batch of foam that was too soft, so I was basically sitting on the framework of the seat. When I got the seat back, it did sit better, but the covering was re-installed poorly, and for my weight, the seat was still uncomfortable.

Sent the seat to Russell, and been happy ever since. It would be nice if Russell could use the outer covering that Kontour uses.

• 2 weeks later...
So Bud, what's the verdict? You like or recommend the Kontour?

Many years ago we bought a sailboat from a dealer in St. Louis. I was pleased with the sale and the after sale support.

However, when I mentioned him at the yacht club, folks just started foaming at the mouth about what a jerk he was and how miserable he was to try to get anything done.

In fact, he sold me a brand new boat which had a major problem from the MFG. The builder, Catalina Yachts. The owner, Frank Butler. In a 3 way phone call, Frank refused to take the boat back. After the call, the dealer called me and offered me a no cost replacement!

Why tell this tale? Because I just completed an 1065 mile ride from Cheyenne, WY to Redmond, OR yesterday and I have to say the seat was fine. Cool on a very hot day. It was not issue, what so ever.

Was I lucky to get one that worked for me? Dunno.

Hey Bud, don't know if you've ridden that area (OR) before, and there are way too many great roads, but there is ONE...that you *have* to ride. Hwy 218 from Antelope to Shaniko (in that direction)--a short trip. I'm sure it will be on a rally route. I am jealous--love that part of the country!

Bud, thanks for the final feedback on the Kontour. You know the saying opinions are like as*&$les, every one has one, well I guess that applies to everything motorcycle too.

If I can ask, what did you not like about the seat? And, would you recommend this seat to a family memeber? How many hours of comfortable riding?

Thanks again,

Dan

Con: Sat lower than my stock seat.

I'm not sure of the hours but after 1,065 miles on Sunday, my butt didn't hurt and I wasn't constantly moving on the seat trying to find a way to be more comfortable.

The covering really helps with the heat.

Bud, Thanks again for the input I think this is probably what we are going to go with. How hard is the seat? My Corbin was hard as stone and I hated it, made it worse, $1200 to sit on what felt like a park bench and weighted a ton.

Thanks,

Dan

Bud, thanks for the final feedback on the Kontour. You know the saying opinions are like as*&$les, every one has one, well I guess that applies to everything motorcycle too.

After reading the thread at Advrider, I would add to that slogan that the Kontour proprietor is an A**h*le. Good thing the seat is working for you, he is not a user friendly guy and seems a bit on the shady side.

Archived