IGNORED

1978 Honda Gold Wing

RodB

I have a buddy who may be wanting to sell his Gold Wing. He purchased it new and it has 10k miles on it. It has been meticulously maintained and stored indoors since new.

What should I offer him? He told me he paid $4300 CAD total with taxes, back when new. It has not been on the road since 1985.

Are these bikes (in pristine condition) now selling for more than original purchase price?

Paul Mihalka

A bike that has not been on the road for 25 years is a can of worms. It may take more than 4.300 of today's $$$ to put it in pristine running condition.

motoguy128

Unless it was carefully put away for long term storage.... i.e. preserved, it could be a lot of work to get it road worthy again.

Then again, it might just need tires, fluids and a new battery if stored correctly.

Why?

What are your plans for it?

Display?

Or ride?

If you want to ride it, 50/50 at best that it will need major renovation.

That cost time and money.

If it is showroom condition, there are people out there who will buy it and know what they need do do mechanically.

I'd inspect it.

Gas tank?

Rust?

Lines/hoses.

Does it crank?

Will it run?

Tires/brakes/look good?

Fluid containers?

Gunk or fresh?

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Good luck if you go down that road.

BTDT. On the same bike for a brother. BIG can of worms. The gas tank was a mess, they are steel and very prone to internal rusting. The brake system was a mess, seals gone and gunk everywhere, forks same, air suspension same, hoses (and there are a bunch) same, carbs of course needed a complete re-do, rings seized – smoked like no tomorrow, electronics in the faring are a monster to work on, and on and on.

He got it for next to nothing, paid me $1800 to get it back to usable and sold it for $1800.

Personally I’d say run away. Quickly!

I hear y'all, but I also hear/feel? the chance to ride on something like this:

4664379035_d0353ecde3.jpg

If this bike has truly been stored like I think it is, I expect to do the forks, carbs, brakes, gas tank and a few hoses. Then it would be a matter of making it my own.

The hard part will be to get the owner to really let it go. He's the type to keep everything even though he doesn't use it + he's kind of stingy (he has to be, as he handles a multi-million dollar maintenance budget where I work), almost like he bought this bike 32 years ago as an investment.

Well, If I do decide to get my hands on it, I will report the restoration.

I hear y'all, but I also hear/feel? the chance to ride on something like this:

4664379035_d0353ecde3.jpg

If this bike has truly been stored like I think it is, I expect to do the forks, carbs, brakes, gas tank and a few hoses. Then it would be a matter of making it my own.

The hard part will be to get the owner to really let it go. He's the type to keep everything even though he doesn't use it + he's kind of stingy (he has to be, as he handles a multi-million dollar maintenance budget where I work), almost like he bought this bike 32 years ago as an investment.

Well, If I do decide to get my hands on it, I will report the restoration.

Rod,you got a link on any other info on that bike pictured? My dad owned two of those tanks. Never thought you could make one look like that.

Archived