IGNORED

First Aid Kit, Other things?

wbrissette

wbrissette

Just got back from a nice four day weekend ride with my wife and daughter to the Ozarks of Arkansas. While riding yesterday, we came upon two Hog riders who went down. They were with a group and already had six other bikes and three cars stopping to render aid, so we simply moved on. I tried using my cell so I could at least provide the emergency workers with better coordinates from my GPS. But didn't have a signal (hint, don't try using Tmobile in the Ozarks the service isn't what it should be... or what you would want it to be).

But, it had me thinking, with all the traveling I do, I should put together a first aid kit, and maybe take some sort of emergency training??? Just kind of thinking out loud. Anybody else have a first aid kit they keep with them? Take any additional first aid training?

Wayne

I carry a first aid kit, roll up type, pretty extensive, intended for backpacking, that I bought at REI years ago. It is in the radio box of my RT. I have added a few things, including some 4x4 and 6x6 compress type bandages, and a big tube of zinc oxide. These things are intended for temporary dressing of road rash.

When I start on a trip with other riders (Not often, I mostly ride alone) I take out the kit, show them where I keep it, ostensibly so they could use it on me, if need be. But my point really is, lets all ride within our limits so the kit can stay in the box.

So far it has worked.......I have used the kit for small non bike type accidents, and once for a bicycle crash I came upon. But I have not had to attempt to pin any cruiser riders back together.

When folks don't wear helmets, there is sometimes less that you can do for them. DAMHIK.

I carry a first aid kit that I got at an outdoors store. It fits neatly in the tail section of my RT. I'll be pulling it out this week to refresh my memory as to what's in it, and what might need replacing, before heading off to the UnRally next month.

Always carry a first aid kit in both cars and the bike, Local maps and fresh bottle of water just in case. My father in-law got me the first kit when we told him I got a bike (over twenty years ago), and since then I just have one with me.

His motto was, "You never know." I guess he had a point - miss the old fallow....

Joe B

R1150RT

Yes.

And,yes.

Certified first aid/cpr and practical application of those skills over time.

Revisiting one's kit for current condition is an excellent idea.

Nice n Easy Rider

I carry a basic kit at all times (including scissors in case you need to cut away some gear). But your post reminds me of one of the reasons I have my SPOT satellite tracker as well - cell phone service can often be spotty or non-existent in some of the locales we ride. In a true emergency situation (even someo other person's emergency) it would be nice to be able to summon help with the simple push of a button rather than having to ride for miles.

wbrissette
http://www.accidentscene.org for training. Either that, or the first aid course for riders offered every now and again in CA by some of our highly respected members.

(note: I am an instructor for ASMI)

Wow, thanks! I didn't even know such a course existed.

I think that some time ago, and subsequent to one of his very popular First Responder training sessions, Jamie (KMG_365) may have published a list of what a reasonably complete first aid kit should include. I wonder if we can get him to re-publish it, if he has it handy. I can't seem to find it using the search engine.

Joe Frickin' Friday

First aid is critical, but it's only part of dealing effectively with a traffic accident. In addition to physical injuries, there may or not be:

-leaking flammable fluids

-unstable vehicles

-high-speed traffic piloted by distracted/rubbernecking drivers

-bystanders and victims who have been traumatized by what they've seen, and may not be behaving entirely rationally

-bystanders and victims distracted by what they are still seeing, and not watching out for the aforementioned traffic

Take a course from the ASMI folks, and consider buying one of their FA kits, or any of the dozens of options from Amazon and other retailers.

As for the rest of the accident scene stuff, This page covers the rest of it pretty well.

Worth bookmarking the site and reviewing from time to time.

Best thing, for the "casual rescuer" is a class that approaches an EMT. Wilderness first aid classes are usually pretty good because they assume the ambulance isn't coming. Those red cross classes, while a great introduction, don't teach you much beyond yelling "CALL 911" at passersby....

And without spending a lot of time learning how to put your own kit together Adventure Medical Kits does a nice job with their pre-packaged units. Always go for the bigger kit.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/

It is highly unlikely that in a trauma scenario there is a need for elaborate f/a kits b/c what is in a basic kit is useless. Sure, cuts, abraisions and the like are all in need of treatment, but not so much that it requires immediate attention and elevated training.

CPR and basic f/a courses are a must for riders on the road. The general public may be taught CCR instead of CPR due to increased chances of survival. Check with your local FD, Red Cross or ASHI provider for classes.

Now back to the m/c crashes. Most FD medics respond quickly so all you need to do is the ABC's with scene safety being a must for you as a care giver.

My f/a kit suggestion allows you trauma dressing, CPR barrier, anti-infection/cleaning and securing devices.

Splinting can be made from towels, pillows, or items available from the environment.

It is great that you want to be prepared....kudos to you for that. My suggestions is based on lighweight items that take up little room.

When I go dirt biking or ATV riding with friends I carry

IV start kits, IV's and all kinds of trauma crap. I have a dedicated chest on my quad all the time for that........

Also carry my Spot messenger for those no cell signal areas.

Take a CPR f/a course.....it may save a life.

Archived