IGNORED

Windshield Help

Mrs. Caddis

Mrs. Caddis

The drive to Torrey and back had me wishing for a new windshield. I am having trouble with wind noise and vision. To see over the top of the standard windshield, it is very loud. Move the shield up to where the noise is reduced I am looking through the top 1" of the screen and the distortion is un-nerving going around corners. Lifting it up so I am looking through the shield I get concussive wind. I followed the directions on the Cee Bailey website for choosing screen height and I need something like a -2". I have a short back! Any suggestions for what to try from folks who have needed a shorter windshield?

I prefer the Cee Bailey No. 2 at +2 1/2". This allows me to lower the windshield which is a much more aerodynamic angle plus the Cee Bailey has a "flip" at the top. I look over the top with a complete dead zone around my face.

Paul Mihalka

Check out parabellum.com. Call them and ask to talk to Charly Perethian, owner/designer of the shields and fairings. He is a great guy and can do anything you want/he wants.

When I got my Parabellum Scout fairing for my R1150R, it was OK but I had some ideas to make it better. I called them. First surprise, it was Charly himself who picked up the phone. I asked him if he could make a shield squarer on top instead of the regular round tombstone top. He said, sure. He made it, sent it, no charge! Now that is customer service!

As a suggestion, why not take the windshield off and see how you like just clean air. If it's better than the buffeting, then cut two inches off the top of your windshield before putting it back on.

---

Mrs. Caddis

Paul, Thanks for the info. I'll try a call to them. I was on their website earlier and didn't spend much time there since all the discussion was on making taller shields.

Mrs. Caddis

Quinn, interesting idea. What would you use to cut it? I have a feeling that is beyond my abilities.

Cee Baily does not make one at -2". Any where else I can look?

Cee Bailey will make any size you want, they just a charge extra.($50 I think)

I have had them do a couple for me that were not listed in their standard sizes.

Cee Baily does not make one at -2". Any where else I can look?

It was a + (plus) 2 1/2. This way you can leave it lowered which is a much better angle for better airflow.

Quinn, interesting idea. What would you use to cut it? I have a feeling that is beyond my abilities.

A handheld jigsaw should do it with the right blade. Build a jig to hold the windshield and keep it from flexing or shifting. Cover the area with masking tape and mark the line you want to cut along. Make a practice cut in the area to be cut off to see how the blade is working or to try other blades to get the smoothest cut. You want the blade to be cutting and not melting the plastic; a avariable speed jigsaw should help. Use a random orbital sander to clean up the edge and keep moving down in grit until you get a smooth edge. Finish up with some plastic polish and round over the edge. If you screw it up, it should be easy to get a replacement stock windshield from someone here who has gone to a larger screen.

---

Mrs. Caddis

John, Are you saying to get a shield that is 2.5" taller than recommended on the Cee Bailey "How to choose your height/width directions"? I understand your point on the airflow over the helmet. But, I am also concerned with the visual/sight line aspect. Basically that would put the height for me at +0.5". A standard shield at it's lowest position is where I visually like the shield to be now. The flip edge design would help tremendously for the airflow. I am glad to know they will make a shield to a custom height beyond what is advertised on the website. I think that I was getting frustrated looking for the right size online and not finding it.

John, Are you saying to get a shield that is 2.5" taller than recommended on the Cee Bailey "How to choose your height/width directions"? I understand your point on the airflow over the helmet. But, I am also concerned with the visual/sight line aspect. Basically that would put the height for me at +0.5". A standard shield at it's lowest position is where I visually like the shield to be now. The flip edge design would help tremendously for the airflow. I am glad to know they will make a shield to a custom height beyond what is advertised on the website. I think that I was getting frustrated looking for the right size online and not finding it.

I like lower shields as well.

Mrs. Caddis

I guess the next step is to talk to Cee Bailey and Parabellum and get their spiel on their screens and what height I would need.

Eileen,

I replaced my stock shield with a CeeBailey Sumdome which, I believe, is a 15" tall shield.

295845129_J2K9j-L.jpg

Stock shield on the left, Sumdome on the right. (I think this was before I lowered my bike, or else Jan's windshield is in the low position and mine is raised higher)

On the 1200Rt, I can raise or lower the shield to get the right height, although this sport shield has less wind protection than the stock shield. I had a roaring noise, in addition to the distortion you mention. I don't have either with the Sumdome. I have a stock shield that I cut on a band saw, but I haven't taken the time to finish it.

FWIW, I don't get distortion through my CeeBailey's shield.

gmarktbone

I recommend the Aeroflow. I actually enjoy riding my bike again since I installed it. There is only one size of these screens.

I recommend the Aeroflow. I actually enjoy riding my bike again since I installed it. There is only one size of these screens.

I had an Aeroflow on my R11RT, and it was fantastic. Many years with no issues other than heat. Dead quiet and you can easily see over it. Terrific in the winter and cold nights.

One thing is that the air was very still (that's normally a good thing), so I wound up buying a summer shield for use 6-8 weeks in the summer.

Mrs. Caddis

I talked to Cee Bailey and Parabellum. Both very helpful. I did talk to Aeroflow, but with only one size for my bike they confirmed that I wouldn't be able to see over it. I'll let you know what I end up doing.

Thanks all for the help and comments

Penforhire

Love my California Scientific (CalSci). I look over it and it reduced my noise and turbulence greatly.

Take a look at the 2010 RT windscreen.

Keep this in mind as I describe my ride, I am 6'4" broad shouldered and tend to tower over the normal OEW screen. I bought a Cee Baileys' at +2 +2, within 1 day I noticed SIGNIFICANT fuel economy loss, (daaa I guess) and in less than 2 months I broke the first set of windscreen struts, at $140+ a pair, I was a bit ticked after the third set. I wanted the protection I got from it though, and the wife though it was much better also.

I am back to the OEW screen now, I jsut never got used to the different wind vectoring. Well today I test drove a 2010 RT. The screen has the same mounting holes, but is designed slightly different; a touch taller, less Euro cut, and winglets, but the protection and wind and noise reduction was amazing. I have to say it is 90% of what I get from the Cee Bailey's and with no additional drag. And to boot, because its an OEM screen, if the struts break thier covered.

Take a look, just my two cents.

Mrs. Caddis

After further talks with Cee Bailey, a different guy called me back, yes they will modify a shield but would take from the top not the bottom, effectively removing the flip. Kind of makes that pointless. California Scientific folks were very nice and their website has a different way of measuring what shield height is needed. I'll do that this weekend to really settle the height needed. It seems that I may be headed toward Quinn's suggestion and cut the shield myself....

Important Note: The 2010 OEM R1200RT windshield will not fit 2005 through 2009 RT models. The windshield along with the adjusting arms and mechanism were re-engineered for 2010 and while the windshield mounting holes look the same, they are not even close. Too bad because the new windshield looks like it would work much better than the old stock models.

After further talks with Cee Bailey, a different guy called me back, yes they will modify a shield but would take from the top not the bottom, effectively removing the flip. Kind of makes that pointless. California Scientific folks were very nice and their website has a different way of measuring what shield height is needed. I'll do that this weekend to really settle the height needed. It seems that I may be headed toward Quinn's suggestion and cut the shield myself....

Start with the Cee Baileys Sumdome(they call it the sports shield now) WS and add to it.

I'd like to modify and explain my suggestion a little if you decide to try it. From Bullett's entry, if you have access to a bandsaw, that would probably be the way to go because the blade is cutting in one direction only and not recipricating. It would make it easier to brace the shield and keep it from flapping back and forth if it gets hung up on the teeth. The reason for the masking tape is is give you a good line to follow and keeps from scratching the surface. If you don't have access to a bandsaw or a handheld jig saw, then you can use a dremel tool with a cutting disk. Just start at one end and take it slow; hold it with both hands and take light strokes so it doesn't catch and gallop away from you accross the shield. I should have called the random orbital sander an electric palm sander and if you don't have one, it's worth buying for other things as well. When I said to go down in grit, I should have said to go up in number; 80 grit is coarser and more abrasive than 220. You can also use a regular flat metal file to do the initial smoothing and rounding before moving on to sandpaper.

The main thing that cutting two inches off the top will do is to get the shield out of your way at lowest setting. It should give you a cleaner air stream and less buffeting. Kind of like standing up on the pegs when riding. The effect will vary with the amount cut off and the helmet you're using. You may or may not like the results. That's why I suggested taking the shield off and going for a ride to see if clean air is what you want. As far as reduced maximum height; well, I like wind hitting my faceshield in the rain to blow the droplets out of the way.

Again, if you screw it up (which I doubt), it should be easy to get a replacement stock windshield from someone here on the board.

Mrs. Caddis

OK, the deed is done. We took the extra screen from Kevin's 2004 R1150RT and cut 1.5" off with a hand held jig saw. There must have been some changes to the screens for RTs between 2001 and 2004. This screen was wider and had much better optics, none of that image warping I was getting at the edges of my screen. Took the new shield for a test ride. What a difference! I can now raise the shield to where the wind noise quiets and can still see over the top. All the way up and none of the concussive waves that were bothering me. Enjoyed my favorite quick ride up Coal Creek Canyon Road to Peak to Peak Hwy and back. California Scientific has a nice chart for quick reference to see what size shield you should use. Height chart. So being 5'6" with a 32" inseam I need something between what would be a small and extra small, if they made something like that. Just picture adding 2" on top of what you already ride with and that is what I have been riding with this last year.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I just ordered the 2010 windshield after test fitting one on my 06 RT and it lined up perfectly, exact same holes as the OEM. Curious that in the US (I live in Germany but own a US modle) the mounting is different.

Archived