IGNORED

Sonora and Ebbetts pass open!

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Marty Hill

Amazing amount of snow/twice as much as I saw riding to the north rim a couple of years ago on the way to torrey. Great pics!

Paul Mihalka

Looks like there will be some snow left in July when we are there, to take some nice pictures! :thumbsup:

Looks like there will be some snow left in July when we are there, to take some nice pictures! :thumbsup:

Should I bring a shovel? :dopeslap:

skinny_tom (aka boney)

This has been the best winter in a long time out here. An understatement would be that some of our reservoirs are full.

If you wanted, you could have gone skiing this weekend. SNOW skiing. Consider that we're usually two months into the water skiing by now. Many of the resorts opened up for the holiday.

Firefight911

To say that this put a damper on getting to some upper elevations for some off road stuff is a complete under statement!!!

So Joe, how was the ride? Did you not hurt a ankle at one time riding through a patch of snow? I think it would be fun looking up at the side walls.

CoarsegoldKid
I'm going to be riding those passes this weekend.

I should have said this coming weekend, Frank. The body part I injured was a rib. Unless I get a brain fart I'll probably not be riding across snow anytime soon.

cali_beemer

This has been the best winter in a long time out here. An understatement would be that some of our reservoirs are full.

If you wanted, you could have gone skiing this weekend. SNOW skiing. Consider that we're usually two months into the water skiing by now. Many of the resorts opened up for the holiday.

And the funny part is my friends were water skiing this weekend. gotta love Californina. Its one of the few places you can go water skiing, motorcycle riding and go snow skiing all in the same weekend. That may be my next weekend since I will have the boat out one day.

Didn't you get enough snow last winter.....??? :/

Paul Mihalka

Didn't you get enough snow last winter.....??? :/

Yes, and I took some nice pictures... and it is much nicer if I'm not responsible to open the way...

Great photos. Using the motorcycle for scale puts things in perspective. Indulge me please. This might sound like a stupid question, but, how do those who clear the raods find the roads? That is a lot of snow. Do they start plowing once the snowfall begins and just continue plowing all season? And if that is the case, why do they close the roads if there is continual plowing? Or do they let the snow accumulate and then at some point in the season clear the snow? Then, back to my original question, how do they find the road?

Great photos. Using the motorcycle for scale puts things in perspective. Indulge me please. This might sound like a stupid question, but, how do those who clear the roads find the roads? That is a lot of snow. Do they start plowing once the snowfall begins and just continue plowing all season? And if that is the case, why do they close the roads if there is continual plowing? Or do they let the snow accumulate and then at some point in the season clear the snow? Then, back to my original question, how do they find the road?

There are stakes along the side of the road, generally the stakes are taller than the average snow depth. They will close the road thru out the winter and do zero maintenance. Once the snows stop they start plowing and clearing avalanche zones. Check this out Plowing Yosemite

CoarsegoldKid

Juanita and I went over those passes on Saturday with some friends. Road Ca4 eastbound to Ca89 and after lunch Ca108 westbound. The snow has melted a lot since Boney's pictures. Some water running across the road in places. There were some folks climbing a slope with snowmobiles just west of Sonora Pass Summit. Lots of MCs out. We ate in Markleeville and sides of the street were lined with bikes. UNrally visitors will eat this up.

Did a Sierra loop on Saturday as well.

Hwy 88 to 395 (to Topaz) to 89 to 4.

Water running everywhere. Silver, Caples, Red, Mosquito, Alpine lakes still with ice on them. A very late year indeed. Haven't seen it like this for a while. After leaving 90 degrees in the Central Valley, the air-conditioned high passes felt great. Some bits of water on road, some sand, but not a problem. This isn't a road you wanna squid on...take your time and smell the mountains.

Hit a bunch of bicyclists training for the "Death Ride" coming up first weekend in July. People everywhere on the road. Nobody shares the road, except the motorcyclists. Each year it gets worse. I remember a time when you could ride Hwy4 in June and not see bicyclists in the middle riding 3 abreast. Those days are gone.

Good news is they'll all be gone by the UnWeek. :thumbsup:

Joe, looked for ya, but didn't stop at Markleeville...did see a red Duc tho, coming down Monitor Pass cookin'... :grin:

See ya'll in july

MB>

CoarsegoldKid

Joe, ...did see a red Duc tho, coming down Monitor Pass cookin'... :grin:

See ya'll in july

MB>

We was two-up on the RT.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived