IGNORED

Excessive oil use?

Moto-Moto

All, 2004RT, seems like I am burning a half quart or so every 500 miles (synthetic). I have looked all over for any leaks, none that I can find.

I know these burn oil, but this seems very excessive to me. Where could there be a leak that allows this much burn off, and what can I do to fix it? I am not getting excessive smoke out of the exhaust as I would think would happen. Is this something I need to have a BMW mechanic take care of?

Thanks

What is the level in the oil sight glass before and after a 500 mile ride?

I axe only because some people over-fill and the excess goes out the breather in the air cleaner.

BMW quote 1000 km ( app 625 mls ) per liter ( app US Qt ) of oil as max.

Your 500 mls = app 800kms

From personal experience I found on my 1100RT that if I keep the level around the centre of the level window it burns less oil, I also changed to Dino / mineral 20/50 W which also appeared to help.

if I leave for a ride at the center dot, it is typically just above the bottom of the sight glass after the ride.

How many miles on the bike, and have you owned it since new? If not, how long have you had it, how many miles have you (Personally) put on it?

These bikes do not use much oil once they are properly run in....But that can take a lot of miles. Like 15 to 20k. The harder you run it......Meaning the more time you hold the throttle wide open.......The sooner they wear in. If not run hard enough, the rings may never seat. After the rings seat, oil consumption tends to stay minimal for many, many miles.

Mine uses none on long trips. It uses maybe 4 to 6 ounces every 1k with short, (Under 20 mile) trips.

Evidently the RT I bought used at 36K had an oil consumption problem. As part of the purchase deal, the dealer agreed (actually volunteered) to rebuild the top end. He told me the cylinder bores are very hard and take a lot of time to break in. If they are run too light or not enough load, some earlier rings never seated correctly. With this in mind, I ran the bike after the first 600 miles hard up over mountain passes. Now it uses (21,000 miles later) about 1/3 quart in 3000 miles .

So, how many miles are on the bike? How hard do you run it? What rpm are you running it at?

sorry, all info that would have helped from the beginning. It has just over 49k. I bought it with 45k and no service records. I actually was just at ATL BMW and talked with them about it. It sounds like the consumption is still within specs (albeit the high end). I did not realize how little oil it takes to make a change in the sight glass.

I ride pretty consistent to 6-7k rpm before shifting. At this point I think I am going to keep doing as I am and chalk it up to a bike at the high end of the factory specs. I will keep watching it to make sure this doesn't get worse.

Thanks

if I leave for a ride at the center dot, it is typically just above the bottom of the sight glass after the ride.

Be aware that to read boxer oil level correctly you should follow the following procedure:

Put the bike on its side stand. If the bike has recently been riden leave it for 20 minutes. This is to release oil that is retained in the oil cooler.

After this time the oil level in the sight glass should be anywhere between the middle of the sight glass to the bottom of the window.

For the above reason you may be getting misled into thinking that your oil consumption is too high. If you overfill the excess oil will be thrown out whilst riding.

regards,

Ian

I thought I should check the oil on the center stand, doesn't that even the level out better than the side stand? Or is the sight glass set up for the side stand?

That could be my problem, I will see the difference when I take it out later on.

Thanks for the advice.

Clarification: Let it sit for 10-15 minutes on the side stand, THEN put it on the center stand and check the level in the sight glass. If you can see any oil at all, you're fine.

I carry a little flat 8 oz oil bottle, velcroed to the inside of the right side case. At home, I use a 50cc syringe, so I can add oil in 2 oz increments. It's counter-intuitive, but lower is better than higher. After all, the thing holds roughly 5 quarts of oil, and you could be down a quart and still have plenty. It's probably only about 4 oz from the bottom of the site glass to the middle, so don't obsess. If you are shifting ~6000 rpm, I suspect that after another 5000 miles consumption will start to drop.

Marty Hill

He left out a very important step. After the bike has been on the side stand for draining for about 5 minutes, put it back on the center stand and now it should show the correct level. Probably you are throwing oil into the bike when it isn't needed.

Archived