IGNORED

Mac email help?????

Whip

AT&T DSL line in a rural area.

It works fine at home using Time Warner Cable with their POP and SMPT servers.

I have a new Mac Book. I want to use the built in email. I receive emails just fine. It won't let me send email. It says I don't have the proper SMPT server. I tried using the same one I use at home that matches the POP incoming server. I tried using the one At&T gave me for our area. What am I doing wrong????

TIA

John Ranalletta

are you spelling SMPT correctly in the outgoing server text field? Usually, it's SMTP. Could be that simple.

James Clark

You need to use the ATT SMTP server or bounce off a relay within the TWC network.

If this is a desktop, the ATT approach should suffice. If the Mac gets moved around a lot, the relay would be a better option else you'll have to constantly change the server designation every time you change networks.

Talk to your ISP. It is possible that they have things configured so that you can only access their smtp server from inside their network. They may have an alternate server or alternate port number for you to use when you are not on their network. It's a relatively common configuration, since it allows them to prevent people who aren't their customer from using their mail server as a relay to send spam.

Talk to your ISP. It is possible that they have things configured so that you can only access their smtp server from inside their network. They may have an alternate server or alternate port number for you to use when you are not on their network. It's a relatively common configuration, since it allows them to prevent people who aren't their customer from using their mail server as a relay to send spam.

I talked with them and they blamed ATT.

But what your sayin makes sense.

Got this from your cable faq.

The outgoing (SMTP) mail server address is:

smtp-server.satx.rr.com (i.e., your SMTP Server Name will have the same ending as your e-mail address)

The incoming (POP3) mail server address is:

pop-server.satx.rr.com (i.e., your POP Server Name will have the same ending as your e-mail address)

Or, you could try this..

You can check your e-mail from another ISP by using one of two options. The first option is to set up an additional account in your e-mail application using the following settings:

Off-network POP3 Server: pop-server.satx.rr.com (i.e., your Off-network POP Server Name will have the same ending as your e-mail address)

Off-network SMTP Server: Check with your alternate ISP for their SMTP Server name

For instructions on how to set up SMTP Authentication, visit the SMTP Authentication Configuration FAQ page.

Note: If you retrieve your e-mail from a computer other than your own, it will be removed from the server and loaded on to the computer you are using. To keep the mail on the server so that you can retrieve it again from your home machine, select the Leave Mail on Server option within your particular e-mail client.

The second option to check your Road Runner e-mail from another ISP is with Road Runner Web Mail. To learn how to use this service, select the Road Runner Web Mail - Using FAQ from the drop-down menu above.

Which actually says the same thing.

http://help.rr.com/HMSFaqs/e_emailserveraddys.aspx

Got this from your cable faq.

The outgoing (SMTP) mail server address is:

smtp-server.satx.rr.com (i.e., your SMTP Server Name will have the same ending as your e-mail address)

The incoming (POP3) mail server address is:

pop-server.satx.rr.com (i.e., your POP Server Name will have the same ending as your e-mail address)

That is exactly what I've been tryin to use.

chrisolson

+1 on sgendler's thought. Time Warner is most likely is restricting foreign network access for outbound email. I know Cox does. Only choice is to use the web client from Time Warner ... I assume they have one.

+1 on sgendler's thought. Time Warner is most likely is restricting foreign network access for outbound email. I know Cox does. Only choice is to use the web client from Time Warner ... I assume they have one.

I hate having to log on all the time.

chrisolson

Didn't say ya'd like it, just sayin' what your problem is. :Cool:

Why not set up your mail account on the laptop to use an ATT mail hub connection to send but also set it to receive from both Time Warner and ATT.

I just got off the phone with a master.

Port #25 is being blocked by my local provider.

I cannot telnet to port 25.

....all this time I thought I had most of my problems figured out.

Now I got a new issue.

Larry, do what I do and forward all your various email accounts to your gmail account. You can then easily set up gmail to respond using the same address the mail was forwarded from (instead of sending as @gmail.com).

This way, all your mail is available to you on any computer with an internet connection and you don't have to worry about syncing in-boxes on different computers. Gmail's search is very fast and their spam filtering is better than anything else I've tried.

Allen Rowand
I just got off the phone with a master.

Port #25 is being blocked by my local provider.

I cannot telnet to port 25.

....all this time I thought I had most of my problems figured out.

Now I got a new issue.

Try setting your SMTP port to 2525 or 587. Works sometimes…

James Clark

See if this helps . . .

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,7387693

Steps for Mail (Mac OSX)

1. Under the "Mail" drop down menu, go to "Preferences".

2. You should see you accounts listed when the window opens.

3. Highlight the account you want to edit, click "Edit" and then click options under outgoing mail server...

4. Input the mail server's name that you want to use in the "Outgoing Mail Server:" text field.

5. Enter 465 as the port in the "Server Port" field and check the check box next to the "Use Secure Sockets Layer" option...

6. If need be, select your authentication method, enter you user name and password and then click "Ok"

7. Click "Ok" again and then close the preferences window...

8. Exit and restart mail for good measure...

After further searching, only TWC Business Class supports outside access to the SMTP servers. (RR doesn't even support access outside of your region. They need to know where you live to identify your SMTP server.)

Actually, I've been on networks that disallowed outbound smtp except to their own mail servers, in order to prevent their own customers from spamming. I seem to recall that one of them was when I was on an ATT network, so their blaming of ATT may well be valid. In that case, your only hope is that they've got an alternate port from 25 (the standard) that you can also access their server on. That port is likely to be accessible.

edit: continued reading and see that that is indeed your problem. I'll second the motion that you set all of your email to forward to gmail. Accessible anywhere, including on your phone, totally transparent to the folks you are corresponding with, and almost certainly at least as stable as your ISP email, probably with higher storage quotas, too.

Bill_Walker

If you don't already have it turned on, try enabling SSL security on the SMTP host. Many times the required login serves as enough authentication that they'll let you use the server.

That being said, I have a vague recollection that issues like yours were why I stopped using RoadRunner's SMTP server at my previous home.

bakerzdosen
If you don't already have it turned on, try enabling SSL security on the SMTP host. Many times the required login serves as enough authentication that they'll let you use the server.

That being said, I have a vague recollection that issues like yours were why I stopped using RoadRunner's SMTP server at my previous home.

We tried that. It didn't work. Port 587 was seemingly blocked as well (I can telnet to 587 from my connection). We tried combinations of SSL, authentication, and telnetting to port 25.

The lousy DSL wouldn't even let us start an Adobe Acrobat Connect session (think WebEx.) I don't know if it was the slow upstream speeds (0.4 Mbps) or the port being blocked, but I suspect the latter.

Unless they discontinue their archaic policies and start allowing traffic to/from ports other than port 80, Whip's DSL connection is only good for web surfing...

bakerzdosen
edit: continued reading and see that that is indeed your problem. I'll second the motion that you set all of your email to forward to gmail. Accessible anywhere, including on your phone, totally transparent to the folks you are corresponding with, and almost certainly at least as stable as your ISP email, probably with higher storage quotas, too.
I mentioned that to him as well, but gmail still uses port 587 for SMTP (albeit SSL) traffic. If AT&T is blocking 587, it won't matter if it's gmail or RoadRunner.

Archived