IGNORED

Boycott Castrol because it is a BP brand

NoHeat

Okay, I felt like creating a different kind of oil thread just to watch what happens.

I recommend boycotting Castrol. Because it's a BP brand.

Joe Frickin' Friday

How far do we want to take this? Cuz ya know, British Petroleum makes other products too. Here's a few other products just from the Castrol group:

===========================

List of Castrol Products:

Braycote 202 Corrosion Preventive Compound / (Wax Form)

Braycote 248 Corrosion Preventive Compound

Braycote 103 Corrosion Preventive Compound

Braycote 194 Corrosion Preventive Compound

Braycote 153 Corrosion Preventive Compound

Braycote 153 Corrosion Preventive Compound

Braycote 441 Lubricating Oil

Braycote 443 Lubricating Oil

Rustillo DW 924-HF Corrosion Preventive Compound

Braycote 137 Corrosion Preventive Compound

Braycote 137 Corrosion Preventive Compound

Braycote 350 Lubricating Oil

Braycote 347 Lubricating Oil

Braycote 610 Multi-Purpose Grease

Castrolease AI Aircraft Grease

Braycote 756 Aviation Hydraulic Fluid

Braycote 757 Aviation Hydraulic Fluid

Brayco 889 Coolant Fluid, Hydrolytically Stable, Dielectric

Braycote 236 Anti-Seize Compound

Brayco 300 Lubricating Oil

Brayco 363 Lubricating Oil

Brayco 885 Lubricating Oil

Brayco 717 Hydraulic Fluid

Brayco MIC 756 Aviation Hydraulic Fluid

Brayco MIC 783 Hydraulic Fluid

Brayco MIC 881 Hydraulic Fluid

Brayco MIC 882 Aviation Hydraulic Fluid

Brayco MIC 756 Hydraulic Fluid

Brayco 922 Solvent

Aeroplex AI Aircraft Grease

Braycote 622 Grease, Ball and Roller Bearing

Braycote 664 Grease, Instrument

Brayco 460 Oil Based Lubricant

Aerial Lift Fluid 4029 High Performance Hydraulic Oil

Aero 5734 Synthetic Turbine Oil & Transmission Fluid

Agri Gear Plus Heavy-Duty Gear Oil

Agri GearMax 80w90 Heavy-Duty Gear Oil

Agri Hydraulic Plus Premium Quality Hydraulic Oil

Agri Hydraulic Plus High Performance Hydraulic Oil

Agri Hydroblue 32 Premium Quality Hydraulic Oil

Agri Hydroblue 32 High Performance Hydraulic Oil

Agri MultiTrans Premium Tractor Transmission-Hydraulic-Wet Brake Fluid

Agri Power Plus 15w40 Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Oil

Agri Power Max 15w40 Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Oil

Brayco 1015 Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil

Brayco 1020 Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil

Brayco 1030 Anti-Wear Hydraulic Oil

Brayco 320 Premium Quality Lubricant

Brayco 463 High Performance Engine Oils

Brayco 682 Industrial Gear / Bearing Oil

Brayco 684 Industrial Gear / Bearing Oil

Brayco 685 Industrial Gear / Bearing Oil

Brayco 689 Heavy-Duty Gear Oil

Brayco 730 Electrical Insulating Oil

Brayco 899 Synthetic Turbine Engine Oil

==============================

Add in asphalt used in public roads, aviation fuels (will we boycott airlines who use BP fuels?), plastics...

To be safe, how about we just ban all things British? :rofl:

How long will we continue this boycott? A couple of days? A month? Year? Decade?

What's the goal? What do we hope to accomplish that the cleanup cost (and whatever government-imposed fines will come out of this) won't?

Harry_Wilshusen
Okay, I felt like creating a different kind of oil thread just to watch what happens.

I recommend boycotting Castrol. Because it's a BP brand.

Not me. I showed my support by buying 9 liters of 20/50 4T. I want to make sure they don't go bankrupt before the clean up is paid for.

To be safe, how about we just ban all things British? :rofl:

Philby and Killer - consider yourselves banned! :wave:

How far do we want to take this?

Brayco 899 Synthetic Turbine Engine Oil

Jolly Good! I'm stopping buying that stuff right now.

(aviation fuels (will we boycott airlines who use BP fuels?)

Don't know, but I won't put it in my rental Cessna anymore.

(How long will we continue this boycott?

Until they drag their reputation from the slimy bottom of the sea and redeem themselves, establishing after many years of perfection that they have become the role model and the shining example of prevention and preparedness for the whole world to follow. (Or until I run out of my stash of GX and there's a sale at AutoZone.)

What do we hope to accomplish

C'mon. Take the bait. Tell us what kind of oil you'll use instead of Castrol. For your R-bike, your turbine engine, and everything else.

In general, I'm against boycotts, unless the entity being boycotted is exceptionally venal. BP seems neither better nor worse than any of the other major oil companies. In fact, I suspect that due to recent bad publicity, BP stations may be selling gasoline at a discount for a while.

I'm doing my bit by not riding or driving until I get my foot out of a cast (June 1). :D

Let's boycott the GOVERNMENT. Don't pay your taxes until they do their job right.

Okay, you first.

Just think of all the great places you could "visit" then:

SCR.gif

Does this mean you have to order Freedom fish and chips?

Does this mean no more High Tea? No more scones with jam & cream? :cry:

I must take an exception to your use of the word boycott in your posting.

Please be aware that this is a misnomer and highly objectionable.

Boycott, being the family name of my maternal side, is not only an ancient family name but one that is very exclusive. Scoins of the name are relatively rare and seldom encountered, but that is not a reason to disparage this fine English family.

Could we not find like descriptive word? Oh, by the way, using the family name in a derogatory manner originated with the Irish.

Bob (whose Grandparents were named Boycott)

Paul Mihalka
I must take an exception to your use of the word boycott in your posting.

Please be aware that this is a misnomer and highly objectionable.

Boycott, being the family name of my maternal side, is not only an ancient family name but one that is very exclusive. Scoins of the name are relatively rare and seldom encountered, but that is not a reason to disparage this fine English family.

Could we not find like descriptive word? Oh, by the way, using the family name in a derogatory manner originated with the Irish.

Bob (whose Grandparents were named Boycott)

Bob, this is just for fun :) : As I didn't know where the term "boycott" came from, I read up on it in Wikipedia. "Boycott" is nowadays a accepted term for a action of not dealing with somebody or some entity. The origin of the term was not a proud moment for the Boycott family name. Apparently a group of tenants took action with a captain Boycott who treated them unfairly. So they stopped dealing with him. They "boycotted" him. :/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boycott

lighten up, sir, and have a good day :)

John,

whose grandparents had the fine English name of Grimes, and doesn't get upset at hearing bad things said about the word.

Ah! Are you aware you also had an English rellie called Geoff Boycott, a wonderful cricketer !!

Is cricket banned too :eek:

Why be picky???

Boycott all products that are either oil based, or use oil based products in their manufacture and/or delivery.

Make a statement!!! :grin::dopeslap:

Gary in Aus

"Geoff Boycott .a wonderful cricketer"

I am sure he single handedly kept the family name aligned with the term.

Geoff also known as the "walking dead" or the "fourth stump" had the ability to actually bore the seagulls on the cricket grounds to sleep and there is a rumour that the seagulls refused to land at the Melbourne Cricket Ground when they found out he was opening the innings.

If I had Geoff Boycott as a relative, there is such a thing as changing your name by deed poll.

...had the ability to actually bore the seagulls on the cricket grounds to sleep...

Hey, everybody, how's this name for a rock band...Sleeping Seagulls?

Scoins of the name are relatively rare and seldom encountered,

I would guess that "Scoins" are even rarer than "Scions" .

cali_beemer

Well in that case, there is a heck of alot more to boycott. Are we to now boycott everything they sponsor? If so then moto GP, british superbike, the dakar an a bunch or other sports are to be boycot. Or better yet since this is a BMW site, we should boycott BMW, afterall they are a partener with castrol according to their website.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=8268003&contentId=6003234

From wickipedia:

Sponsorship

[edit] Motorsport

The most prevalent display of the Castrol brand is to be found in sponsorship of varying motorsports (mainly as a "technical partner"), currently in the World Rally Championship, MotoGP, World Superbikes and World Supersports. Castrol have previously been formally involved in Formula 1, World Touring Cars, British Superbikes, British Rallying, DTM, V8 Supercars, Dakar Rally, Drag racing, Sidecar racing - and more. Castrol also have sponsored the Castrol Driver Rankings since January 2010.

The brand has been involved in Formula One for many years, most visibly as the title sponsor of Team Lotus for the 1993 season. Prior to that, Castrol had provided lubricants to a number of other teams, including Jaguar, McLaren, Brabham and Walter Wolf Racing.[1]

Following the temporary withdrawal of Elf from the sport at the end of 1996, Castrol forged an alliance with the Williams F1 team as a technical partner.[2] As of the end of the 2006 season, when the relationship ended, this partnership had yielded both Formula One World Championship titles in 1997 and 17 wins.

Castrol is one of the most popular oils used in the Australian Touring Car/V8 Supercar series. For many years, Castrol was the title sponsor of the Perkins Engineering Holden team, the relationship ending in 2006. Latterly, Castrol has been one of Ford Performance Racing's title sponsors, backing the Falcon of Steven Richards. Castrol's 2010 program will see Paul Morris Motorsport run a Castrol Racing Commodore for Greg Murphy, alongside its existing FPR Ford entry. [3] Castrol is the title sponsor with Team Bray, owned by Australian drag car legend, Victor Bray for 17 years.

The Toyota World Rally Championship team was supported by Castrol until 2003. Since then, the works Ford team has been supported by BP and by extension, Castrol lubricants.

During the 1980s, the Jaguar entries for the Le Mans 24 hours race were sponsored by Castrol, along with the tobacco brand Silk Cut. The company also supported the Sauber Mercedes sportcar team.

The company sponsored the Brewco Motorsports #27 car in the NASCAR Busch Series, driven by Casey Atwood from 1999 to 2000.

In North America, Castrol has been an active sponsor of NHRA drag racing. Castrol has sponsored John Force Racing under the GTX brand since 1987. Currently, Castrol is a sponsor of both John Force and Ashley Force Hood.

[edit] Other sports

Castrol sponsored Swindon Town Football Club from 1995 to 1997. In the first season of this two-year deal, Swindon were Division Two champions.

Castrol also sponsored the UEFA Euro 2008 football tournament and will sponsor the UEFA Euro 2012 football tournament.

Castrol sponsors the Castrol Performance Index, a player performance rating system.

Castrol sponsored the 2009 Royal Rumble.

Castrol has recently began to sponsor a popular Nintendo podcast called Lithcast.

Castrol is the official sponsor of the FIFA World Cup 2010TM as well as the FIFA World Cup 2014TM.

motoguy128

Don't forget while your at it, to boycott manufacturered goods that use BP petroleum products as a raw material. Hers'a quote from hte BP website for their Aromatic & Acetyls devision:

"About us

From car tyres to cassettes. From food containers to paracetamol tablets. Our businesses serve a multitude of industries and human needs".

That covers a pretty large range of products.

How about boycotting asphault roads that use BP sourced asphault?

They also own ARCO aluminum.

Bottom-line, boycotting a retail storefront or a consumer product with a large corporation with multiple divisions won't make a dent. You are mostly going to hurt the local store owner and it's employees. Boycotting BP is about as easy and as effective as boycotting a company like General Electric.

Slightly off the subject of boycotts... does anyone think we'll see some domestic terrorism as a result of this spill. Attacks on BP facilites or pipelines???

Joe Frickin' Friday
Slightly off the subject of boycotts... does anyone think we'll see some domestic terrorism as a result of this spill. Attacks on BP facilites or pipelines???

...Because the best way to protest lax safety standards resulting in horrible accidental oil spills is to take deliberate action to cause...horrible oil spills?

I'm not ruling out the existence of egregiously stupid people who are highly motivated. Just saying it would be...stupid.

I know everybody hates BP and I hate them too. But isn't boycotting it the equivalent of ensuring it won't be able to pay ALL bills. It like expecting a divorced father to keep paying child support and alimony after he is fired from his job. It's not economically feasible and BP will try to cut corners. There will be 2 losers (as in a divorce), BP and the people whose jobs are at stake.

I advocate doing what you were doing before the spill. If you gassed up at BP, continue doing so. If you fill at Mobil, continue doing so.

Wait a year and see how all this pans out for the affected people and then go about these boycotts. But don't cut the hand that MIGHT feed a lot of people.

And in the interest of full disclosure, I have no affiliation of any sort with BP.

motoguy128

...Because the best way to protest lax safety standards resulting in horrible accidental oil spills is to take deliberate action to cause...horrible oil spills?

I'm not ruling out the existence of egregiously stupid people who are highly motivated. Just saying it would be...stupid.

Not nesssarily spills, just interrupting operations. You can shut down a pipline or refinery without creating a leak in the pipes. Namely disabling pumps or shutting down control systems.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I didn't read the rest of the thread, I'm just gonna add two cents and go away...

What makes anyone think that the rest of the oil companies aren't cutting the same corners or worse?

Perhaps we should all just stop operating anything that consumes fossil fuels? Forget it. BP is no worse that anyone else and they're making a decent effort to stop it.

Joe Frickin' Friday
What makes anyone think that the rest of the oil companies aren't cutting the same corners or worse?

The news folks have made much of the fact that in recent years BP has racked up far more safety violations than other companies. Those same news folks are famous for leaving out important details that might change the timbre of the whole story, but the difference in the number of safety violations between BP and, say, Exxon was pretty large.

Forget it. BP is no worse that anyone else

Irrelevant. The sins of 20 don’t make up for the sins of 1. Regardless of the subject.

Forgetaboutit is exactly what they want us to do. (Which is what the dispersants are all about BTW.) The sooner the public moves on to the next talking heads subject, the sooner they can get back to having their way with everything persuing profits at the exspense of all else.

motoguy128

The news folks have made much of the fact that in recent years BP has racked up far more safety violations than other companies. Those same news folks are famous for leaving out important details that might change the timbre of the whole story, but the difference in the number of safety violations between BP and, say, Exxon was pretty large.

One thing they teahc us in our safety training is that safety is a statstics game. For every some many OSHA recordables, you'll have a lost time. For every so many lost time's, you'll have a major injury, and so many major injuries, you'll have a death or deaths.

So if one company is being sited more frequently than another, it's likely that there is a corporate philosophy of ignoring risk to maximize production. Our company has been working hard the last 5 years to drag our managemnt away from that philiosophy. its' not easy when sales and customers are screaming for product, and margins are low and sales are down.

Somewhere in hte managemnet chain at BP, someone needed ot say "stop" and/or "shut it down", adress the docuemntation and engineering issues, and then proceed.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Forget it. BP is no worse that anyone else

Irrelevant. The sins of 20 don’t make up for the sins of 1. Regardless of the subject.

Forgetaboutit is exactly what they want us to do. (Which is what the dispersants are all about BTW.) The sooner the public moves on to the next talking heads subject, the sooner they can get back to having their way with everything persuing profits at the exspense of all else.

Gee. If I remember correctly, we were all supposed to boycott Exxon when their drunk pilot rammed a reef while way off course in a tanker full of oil. (see, I didn't forget.)

Of course now Exxon is #1 in market capitalization. I don't know where BP was before the spill, but it's less than half of Exxon now.

So much for boycotting Exxon. They're stronger than... well, all of them.

Boycotts only serve to make you feel better. Where you buy your gas and oil isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

As for OSHA violations? Gimme a break. It's against OSHA regulations if you're not wearing a respirator when you fart. I can think of ten-thousand reasons why there's a discrepancy in one companies reported violations and another's. Don't let that fool you. Everyone else out there in the oil fields are cutting the same corners- they're just not getting caught.

As for OSHA violations? Gimme a break. It's against OSHA regulations if you're not wearing a respirator when you fart.

Well then there’s apparently a whole lot more farting going on in BP operations than at any of the other big guys.

The specific category is, “Egregious, Willful Violation Citations.” And the tally for the last three years is:

BP – 760

Suncore – 8

Conoco-Phillips – 8

Citgo – 2

Exxon – 1

Hayward at first tried to state that these, "...were before we renewed our emphasis on safety several years ago." Then when it was pointed out that these were current numbers BP amended to, "No comment."

Where does Transocean figure in all of this?

I understand that BP contracted this company to drill & operate the well, unless I've got that wrong.

John Ranalletta

The courts will sort that matter. There was a "company man" on the rig from BP who argued with Transocean's employees earlier that day.

Archived