IGNORED

Which way to turn? Need direction.

rous44

Here's my sad story. By no means tragic, compared to many, but distressing nonetheless.

I bought a '05 1200RT with 900 miles on it. Currently have 2300 miles. In the local dealership for a tune up when I got the call. Service manager says when they removed the valve cover a head bolt was laying there, loose in the cover.

The bolt had fallen out of the head and the threads were stripped in the block. Cost $500 to repair.

According the manager, the only way this could have happened was at the 600 mile when the heads are torqued and someone over did it.

My questions:

The service was done for the original owner at A&S in Sacramento, Ca. I live in Kansas City. Should I go to them for compensation?

OR:

I have an extended warranty , transfered from the original owner. It's from a warranty company with a less than stellar reputation and my local dealer has had nothing but bad experiences with them. So I'm on my own trying to collect from them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Pay for the repair, don't count on getting reimbursed, try to get reimbursed by the warranty company. $500 just isn't worth fighting over, especially with a dealer half-way across the country.

Pay for the repair, don't count on getting reimbursed, try to get reimbursed by the warranty company. $500 just isn't worth fighting over, especially with a dealer half-way across the country.

+1. You could try calling A&S and ask what they would suggest, but since it was so long ago and someone else owned the bike when they did the service, you are unlikely to get any real help from them.

I would get the local dealer to fix it, make an extended warranty claim and see what happens.

Good luck!

Jay

Since theres only 300 miles put on the bike since the 600 mile service was performed, it's pretty unlikely the original owner would re-torque headbolts right after he paid to have it done by a dealer. Call A&S and explain what you've run into. Maybe there's room for a compromise or "goodwill". Then try the warranty company.

I bought a '05 1200RT with 900 miles on it. Currently have 2300 miles.

Looks like be bought it 300 miles after the 600 mile service. Perhaps ask the current dealer to give A&S a call - that way it's one professional shop talking with another and they can relay first hand what they have found.

BTW - what extended warranty do you have?

Firefight911

Call Tim Whelan at A&S and have a very slow, spell it out for him, get him to repeat it back to you, discussion.

Tim is the Service Manager over there. Explain your story. If he blows you off, bump up to Jeff Hanrahan, General Manager. I do not expect Tim or anyone at A&S to blow you off but, having the chain of command at your disposal can help if you feel dissatisfied for some reason.

I would follow up with a very clearly spelled out letter to the same effect and address it to A&S and CC BMW Motorrad in NJ.

As I have a relationship with them I am going to forward this link to them.

I am going to be emphatically clear here though!!!!! I have no interest in A&S, I am nothing but a customer to them, they have been good to me, I'be had issues with them in the past, we've always worked through them, there is no guarantee or expectation that they will do anything.

I am only going to forward the link to them so that they are aware.

Get pictures!!!!!! Document every thing. Get a written letter from your current service provider. Oh, document everything.

Sailorlite

If that extended warranty was properly transferred to you, I think it might very well cover this repair. Do you have the written contract? If so, what does it say?

Contact them and open a claim. (I can understand that your dealer would expect payment directly from you - and it would be up to you to collect from the warranty co.).

Paul Mihalka
Why did the bike need a tune at 2300 mi?

A 5 year old bike needs a "tune" even if has not been ridden...

I would be all over BMW with that low of milage ,,Let them deal with A&S ,,I think its the Left lower rear head bolt ???? The one that sticks out more then all the others..You are not the first to have this problem..

First, get your present dealer who discovered the rpoblem to put it in writing, along with thier explanation.

Then contact warranty company and A & S.

Provide them with the written documentation from the dealer.

Tell them politely that you expect the repair to be covered.

Tell A & S you are letting them know as a courtesy.

They may, or may not choose to help, it was a long time ago.

Good luck.

I would be all over BMW with that low of milage ,,Let them deal with A&S ,,I think its the Left lower rear head bolt ???? The one that sticks out more then all the others..You are not the first to have this problem..

Bingo !!

That's the one.

My local dealer is taking lots of pictures and documenting everything. In a perfect world A&S should pay for their mistake, but the length of time between the offense and the discovery works against me. Kind of like a statute of limitations thing.

Thanks for all the advice. And I will try my luck with the warranty company. I have a policy that is supposed to cover everything and anything, but collecting may be a different story.

Bingo !!

That's the one.

My local dealer is taking lots of pictures and documenting everything. In a perfect world A&S should pay for their alleged mistake, but the length of time between the offense and the discovery works against me. Kind of like a statute of limitations thing.

Thanks for all the advice. And I will try my luck with the warranty company. I have a policy that is supposed to cover everything and anything, but collecting may be a different story.

Fixed for you.

It very well may be the result of the 600 mile service.

But unless the bike has been solely in your possession and you can document that no one else has been in there, it is not 100% certain.

Best wishes.

Archived