IGNORED

Wood Project

David

This was fun, particularly since I made it all from scraps I had lying around:

cuttingboard.jpg

Process was:

• Square off the sides of each piece with a bench saw.
  • Make each piece a uniform width, also with a bench saw.
  • Use a thickness planer to get all the strips to a uniform thickness, matching the thinnest one (they were different widths and thicknesses).
  • Glue and clamp.
  • Cut the shape out with a jig saw.
  • Use a rounding over bit on a router to shape the edge (it's on the reverse side of this)
  • Drill 1/2" holes for the 1 1/2" walnut plugs. These hold the cutting board in exactly a position to cover the lefthand sink, where the disposal is mounted. The cutout is meant to make it easy to shift the scraps over with your knife and dump them in the disposal side.
  • Soak everything in walnut oil, which is safe for food preparation.
  • Bake in the sun, where this picture was taken, to harden the oil surface. UV rays do the trick for that.

It's a terribly inefficient process, but I enjoy the mental discipline that woodworking requires. And Julie likes her custom cutting board! :grin:

is the cut-out side slightly lower than the other? may keep stuff from running off onto the counter.

ps...really wanted to put " " around stuff, but suppressed the urge. :wave:

If it's lower, it's just a mistake. :grin: I may still add some channels toward the edges.

Joe Frickin' Friday
It's a terribly inefficient process, but I enjoy the mental discipline that woodworking requires.

Ayup, that pretty much sums it up. Nicely done! :thumbsup:

motoguy128

I remember making one of those in shop class in middle school. yours looks a lot better than mine did... and I didn't have the any hardware or cut-outs.

It looks like every strip has a little different color stain. Was that on purpose?

It looks like every strip has a little different color stain. Was that on purpose?

I didn't use any stain--it's walnut oil, spread evenly on all the wood. The different look of each strip comes from the different types of wood: walnut, maple, red oak, yellow oak, etc.

Jerry Johnston

Be careful you may want to change occupations to something more relaxing like woodworking. :grin:

Be careful you may want to change occupations to something more relaxing like woodworking. :grin:

There are times when it holds much greater appeal than consulting!

Patallaire

Made cutting boards like that for gifts one year, by the time I figured out the time involved and after I went to a craft show then to a store and realized what I could have bought them for, I vowed to not do that again. It was fun but......

Joe Frickin' Friday
No jointer for the glued edges? Must be a really good blade on the table saw. Nicely done.

The high-dollar saw blades do deliver a really nice cut these days. If you get a 200-tooth Oldham blade from Sears for $8, it wobbles and gives a terrible, useless finish. Instead, you go to Home Depot and pick up a Ridgid or Diablo 90-tooth blade for $70, and the cut comes out glassy smooth, as good as anything a planer/jointer could possibly give you.

Instead, you go to Home Depot and pick up a Ridgid or Diablo 90-tooth blade for $70, and the cut comes out glassy smooth, as good as anything a planer/jointer could possibly give you.

Well, that is a little far fetched. A jointer should give you a much better (and flatter) surface than any tablesaw.

A well tuned hand plane will do better than that. But, I do agree that a tablesaw with a decent blade will be good for a small edge joint. Maybe even better than a super smooth hand jointed edge, since it holds more glue.

Nice job David !

I'd be delighted.

Careful, he charges by the hour.

And the inefficiency of the process has been well established.

Archived