IGNORED

Route Planning and decisions

scout6

ALL,

My riding partner (Wife) is no longer able to come along on the trip west, and our riding buddy who we like to travel with just closed on a house with the move (you guessed it) during the UN. So, now that the first few plans are out the window, I am contemplating several different things to see. My older routes were filled with things I had seen, but was leading others to see. At this point, a leader is to cross the West through Lolo and then head to the northern end of 101. Follow 101 and 1 down to Morro Bay, CA, then loop up and arrive at the UN through Yosemite. I have ridden on part of 101, north of Coos Bay, OR, but never on 1. New to me will be lots of the California coast and the Golden Gate Bridge. Opinions??? I can leave any day starting in July. The plan for home is up to the MOA, then rolling through lots of Southern Idaho before zooming to Ft. McCoy, Wisconsin on the 24th of July.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Well, where to start?

If you're intent on riding 1 all the way to Morro Bay, you're in for a treat. From where it breaks off in Legget, it is nothing but excellent riding. Headed south is the best way to do it as well, because you're on the cliff side of the road which is much more dramatic.

In Northern California you should not miss Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. If you're feeling adventurous you could take a spin out Mattole Road from Ferndale, which loops back to Humboldt Redwoods Park. Check conditions, the road is not very well maintained... There is a campsite on the beach at the end of Lighthouse Road (off Matole Road), in case you're inclined.

If you have the time and the weather is nice, the ride out to Pt. Reyes and the walk down the 300+ steps to the lighthouse is worth it.

On the Peninsula just south of SF, there is some fantastic local twisties riding. Take 92 up from the coast to 35 then go south on 35 to 17 and down to Santa Cruz. 84 is a nice alternative to the coast, as is 9, but 9 has construction on it all summer and you're subject to a 15 minute wait on the weekdays. If you're up there on the weekends, be aware that it's the local squid playground. Also, you may want to stop at Alice's for a meal. Nice place, great outdoor patio, motocentric, okay food. You won't miss much exciting coastal action bypassing it in the hills like this.

Hwy 1 from Monterey to down past Cambria is not to be missed. Stop at Hearst Castle (San Simeon State Park) and take a tour to see what Citizen Kane was lightly based on. The place is amazing, to say the least.

What else do you want to know?

Paul Mihalka

Boney, great info! I plan to be on rt. 1 south out of Frisco on Sunday 7/11, stopping for the night in Morro Bay. From there on Monday to the Un. I know if I take nice roads it will be a longish day, but I don't mind. Any recomendations from Morro Bay to Topaz Lake - I know that is your backyard! :)

Thanks for this information. I am looking for campgrounds online and in a few books right now. I had seen Humbolt, but do not know the coast at all. My projected stops (based on nothing more than about 300 straight line miles a day - so I can do some side trips) are: Astoria, OR on the 7th, Port Orfort, OR on the 8th, Point Arena, CA on the 9th, Morro Bay on the 10th, Yosemite on the 11, and arrive at the UN on the 12th. Of course, this is wide open to change an ideas. I plan to camp and hit military bases if they are on the way. So, any other can't miss rides or places to camp?

Marty Hill

Tom, I looked at the 300 steps about 3 weeks ago and took a pic from the top. They are steep! Spent 1 night in ferndale. Very nice. See you at the UN. :wave:

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Tom, I looked at the 300 steps about 3 weeks ago and took a pic from the top. They are steep! Spent 1 night in ferndale. Very nice. See you at the UN. :wave:

It's not always sunny. In fact they placed the lighthouse down so far so that it would be "under" the fog.

406004521_5RrxQ-L.jpg

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Thanks for this information. I am looking for campgrounds online and in a few books right now. I had seen Humbolt, but do not know the coast at all. My projected stops (based on nothing more than about 300 straight line miles a day - so I can do some side trips) are: Astoria, OR on the 7th, Port Orfort, OR on the 8th, Point Arena, CA on the 9th, Morro Bay on the 10th, Yosemite on the 11, and arrive at the UN on the 12th. Of course, this is wide open to change an ideas. I plan to camp and hit military bases if they are on the way. So, any other can't miss rides or places to camp?

If you opt for Mattole Road or the campground at the end of Lighthouse Rd, you're going to need to add about 1/2 day to the expected ride. Avenue of the Giants parallels 101 in Humboldt Redwoods Park and won't take up too much time. Pt. Reyes will take at least half a day, out and back.

Most of the camping along the way that I know if is in the California State Park system. Look 'em up online. You'll need reservations, which may be difficult to get right now. There is an online reservations system, so you can plug in your dates to see availability. Richardson Grove, up near Piercy and Garberville is nice. A bit down the coast from Pt. Arena is Salt Point, Ft. Ross, and then there are a couple in the Bodega Bay area.

My main concern is that Pt. Arena to Morro Bay all on HWY 1 is going to be a long day. Not long in "it's a lot of miles" long, but "it's a lot of smiles" long. There are countless 15-25 MPH hairpins along the coast north of SF, and then the road is pretty twisty south of Santa Cruz as well. You'll not be able to maintain highway averages for most of the day. Add in the bazillion times you're going to want to stop and take in the view and you're cutting it close on time. Also, if you take the time to peruse the Skyline area (Highway 35 that I mentioned above) you'll need to add about 30 to 40 minutes.

Morro Bay to Yosemite in a day. Easy. (and probably hot)

Yosemite to Topaz Lake in a day. Super Easy.

Edit: I mentioned a tour at San Simeon. That's going to be half-a-day too, and you'll need reservations.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Boney, great info! I plan to be on rt. 1 south out of Frisco on Sunday 7/11, stopping for the night in Morro Bay. From there on Monday to the Un. I know if I take nice roads it will be a longish day, but I don't mind. Any recomendations from Morro Bay to Topaz Lake - I know that is your backyard! :)

Central California really doesn't have any passes over the Sierra Nevadas. There's 178 through Bakersfield & Lake Isabella on the south end- which will put you in for a long cruise up 395 to the Un. It will be hot for most of the ride, but the east side of the Sierras along 395 are beautiful. You'll be down in the valley and the peaks will be on your left, topping out as much as 10,000 feet above you only several miles away as the crow flies.

Then there's Yosemite up north. Have you been? The west side of the Sierra Nevadas rise gradually and the foothills are fantastic. I'm sure we could cook up some great roads, but eventually you'd wind up on 41 into Yosemite Valley, where you would find the connector to 120 to take you out over Tioga Pass to 395. A worthwhile ride if there ever was one, but the speed limit in the park is 45, the traffic is usually slower and the guys in green pick-ups with flashing lights on top frown on double-yellow passing (DAMHIK). If you get an early start you'll probably get up into the hills high enough to escape the mid-day heat.

Further north you can hit Sonora Pass (108), Ebetts Pass (4), and Carson Pass (88) all of which are on some combination of ride(s) from the UN.

Hwy 1 PCH :

1 day from Pt Arena to Morro Bay will be a long haul, to be sure, if you stop in spots to linger. Just for reference, the time to travel from Santa Cruz to Cambria is right around 4 hours...this being about a third the distance ya want to cover.

You'll dig it tho..

MB>

Central California really doesn't have any passes over the Sierra Nevadas. There's 178 through Bakersfield & Lake Isabella on the south end

The next pass north from 178 (and south of Yosemite/Tioga/120) is Sherman Pass. This is a paved forest road that climbs in excess of 9000 feet, is one of the most beautiful passes of the Sierras, and is my favorite.

From the west, look for Sherman Pass Road (GPS Coordinates: N35 58 03.1 W118 29 08.7) heading west from the Kern River Hwy north of Lake Isabella.

Sherman Pass Road becomes Kennedy Meadow Road then becomes Nine Mile Canyon road before finally intersecting on the eastern end with US395 north of Pearsonville (GPS Coordinates: N35 50 31.6 W117 52 30.0).

Paul Mihalka

Boney, just looking at the map would this be a too long days ride? Morro Bay to Visalia, then a loop into Sequoia via Lodgepole, continue toward Fresno, then 41/120 to 395. Too long?

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Central California really doesn't have any passes over the Sierra Nevadas. There's 178 through Bakersfield & Lake Isabella on the south end

The next pass north from 178 (and south of Yosemite/Tioga/120) is Sherman Pass. This is a paved forest road that climbs in excess of 9000 feet, is one of the most beautiful passes of the Sierras, and is my favorite.

From the west, look for Sherman Pass Road (GPS Coordinates: N35 58 03.1 W118 29 08.7) heading west from the Kern River Hwy north of Lake Isabella.

Sherman Pass Road becomes Kennedy Meadow Road then becomes Nine Mile Canyon road before finally intersecting on the eastern end with US395 north of Pearsonville (GPS Coordinates: N35 50 31.6 W117 52 30.0).

Thanks Michael, that one escaped me.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Boney, just looking at the map would this be a too long days ride? Morro Bay to Visalia, then a loop into Sequoia via Lodgepole, continue toward Fresno, then 41/120 to 395. Too long?

I think that looping through Sequoia Natl Park will take too long. It's a pretty slow road.

I will be leaving Vancouver, Wa. on Thurdsay morning July 8th with a general plan to ride as much of the cali coast South as possible until heading North for the Un. Other than ending up in Eureka the first night I have no other firm plans. I'm looking forward to just winging it with camp gear at the ready just in case.

Sounds like I will be heading by about the same time you pull out. I had thought about winging it, but have been told that the campgrounds along the coast fill up pretty early along the coast.

If you need to stop earlier than Eureka, there is a nice camp ground at Cape Blanco in Oregon just north of Port Orford. Also, Bullards Bch state park near Bandon, Oregon is also very nice. Be sure and check out the old family cemetary before hitting the ocean walk.

Paul Mihalka

My travel plans, subject to change on any whim.

Leave Saturday July 3 in the afternoon from work. First stop Youngstown OH. Next night stops in sequence: July 4 Menomonie WI mostly I80/Chicago/I90/I94 - July 5 Minot ND on Rt. 2 - July 6 Choteau MT mostly Rt. 2 - July 7 Lewiston ID undecided whether ride through Glacier NP or skirt it to the south on rt. 2 - July 8 Bend OR via Hells Canyon/John Day - July 9 Weaverville CA with Crater Lake and other nice roads on the way - July 10 around San Rafael CA via Rt. 36 and Rt. 1, hopefully say hello to Cary - July 10 Morro Bay CA after lunch/brunch with friends in San Francisco. The best part of rt. 1 in the afternoon! - July 11 Monday Topaz Lake! Possibly via Lake Isabella/Sherman Pass. I'm at the UN! :thumbsup:

Return home starting Thursday, I80, skirt Chicago to the south via rt. 36/I72/I74, I70 to home. 4 days of Interstate, not fun but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Paul, monday is 12 july. Check your post. I'm leaving SF on monday am/same route to the UN. Give me a 10 hour head start? :dopeslap:

Paul Mihalka
My travel plans, subject to change on any whim.

Leave Saturday July 3 in the afternoon from work. First stop Youngstown OH. Next night stops in sequence: July 4 Menomonie WI mostly I80/Chicago/I90/I94 - July 5 Minot ND on Rt. 2 - July 6 Choteau MT mostly Rt. 2 - July 7 Lewiston ID undecided whether ride through Glacier NP or skirt it to the south on rt. 2 - July 8 Bend OR via Hells Canyon/John Day - July 9 Weaverville CA with Crater Lake and other nice roads on the way - July 10 around San Rafael CA via Rt. 36 and Rt. 1, hopefully say hello to Cary - July 10 Morro Bay CA after lunch/brunch with friends in San Francisco. The best part of rt. 1 in the afternoon! - July 11 Monday Topaz Lake! Possibly via Lake Isabella/Sherman Pass. I'm at the UN! :thumbsup:

Return home starting Thursday, I80, skirt Chicago to the south via rt. 36/I72/I74, I70 to home. 4 days of Interstate, not fun but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Correction: July 10 Saturday San Rafael/Cary - July 11 ! Sunday San Francisco/Morro Bay - July 12 ! Monday Topaz Lake.

• 2 weeks later...
PhillyFlash

Thinking about heading for the coast after the Un, leaving early Thursday morning. Would like to hit the coast by way of Stewart Pt.-Skaggs Springs Rd. Looks like a decent route might be to head west on 50 to 49 to 193 north of Sacramento, continuing on 65/70 through Yuba City to 20 to near Clear Lake, then 29 and 128 to Geyserville, where I'd pick up Stewart Pt.-Skaggs Springs Rd.

First off, is that a good route to take, or is there a better (quicker?) one?

Second, how far south on Hwy 1/101 is a reasonable expectation, figuring leaving the Un around 7 am and stopping by 4 pm? Bodega Bay? Petaluma? San Rafael? Sausalito?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Philly,

If you're looking for most direct (fastest), it would require you ride some interstate through Sacramento. If you take 50 out of Tahoe area and then down into Sacramento, it turns into Hwy 80 as it comes out the other side. Then in Davis, you hop off the freeway and head for Winters on Russell Blvd. Follow it's junctions and turns west, where you'll end up on 128. Taking 128 over the hill past Lake Berryessa and into the Napa Valley is a great ride. You can then follow 128 north, and out of the Napa Valley to Geyeserville and over to Skaggs Springs road, at the end of which you'll drop down onto the coast and cooler temperatures.

If you take this route, all the places you mentioned are reachable depending on how long you stop for lunch and to take pictures.

Are you camping? If so, look up Samuel P. Taylor park.

+1 what boney said.

Stewart Pt.-Skaggs Springs Rd. is definitely a plus. If you have the time and are so inclined, when you reach the coast swing north for a few miles to Gualala and the Bones Roadhouse for some great BBQ.

Archived