IGNORED

ok so I get the dreaded headlight out warning light .......

xbubblehead

xbubblehead

I just got back from a ride to Deals Gap, so I'm happy I don't have to change the bulb on the road. Like most average men, I have man hands

and changing the bulb is a small task.

I decide to ride to get a new bulb - what? warning light is out. humm, so tired from the ride home I decide to get the bulb later - warning light back on.

Every time I turn the bike off then on I get a different outcome. My first instinct was to check the connection to see if somehow, something came loose.

I removed the front fairing to get a good look at the connection - Well, the plastic around the connector was broken exposing one of the leads and

that lead seems to have a bit of rust on it. I guess the heat from the bulb can cause the plastic to become weak? The plastic connector seemed to be

crumbling as I tried to get the bulb out.

Not sure how this got broken or even if this is the issue with others but I will have to wait till it stops raining to test the new connector I replaced

it with. The headlight seems to be working, right now. Good times

When you insert the new bulb into the hole, it is easy to do so with the round flange of the bulb not flushly seated against the lip inside the headlight socket. If you look at the bulb thru the front lens, if it is cocked to one side up against the metal "shield" around the opening, you'll know its not in straight. It should be centered. I believe this condition allows the bulb's base to transmit extra heat to the plastic plug and melt it. I believe the "lip" acts as a heat sink for the bulb.

It can be a pain to get it "just right"--the little "ear" on the bulb's base must fit perfectly into the groove in the headlight socket for it to sit flush. You may have to fiddle a bit to get it just right.

xbubblehead

bobbybob, the bulb had been in there for 13k before this started to happen, but it was aligned properly. I have been using Sylvania SilverStar Headlights since my original burned out. Seems like they are common to use but I'm not sure if they contributed to the issue. So far, with the new plug installed the bulb has stayed illuminated with no issues - since its only been a few days, I will have to keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the info tho. :thumbsup:

I guess I've been lucky - 17K on my 09 RT and I just got my first bulb burned out. Whoever says that the Germans are a dour, humorless lot should try to change a headlight bulb on an RT. Somewhere in Munich there has got to be an engineer laughing his/her damn head off about how difficult he/she made it.

JayJay

Nice n Easy Rider

Jay Jay,

You can pretty well bet that your second bulb burnout isn't far behind. And if your first was the left hand lowbeam then you're going to be in for a really fun time soon.

Yup, left one. I debated changing both as long as I had the plastic off. But my wife's Honda Accord is on the fourth bulb on the left and second on the right. So I buttoned it back up again. Fortunately, I don't have any problem taking off the Tupperware, it's just illogical to have to do so.

JayJay

Archived