IGNORED

Mackinac Bridge

Koop

Donna and I are riding a loop from Rochester Hills, Michigan to West Chester, Pennsylvania to Lake Placid, New York to North Bay, Ontario and back via the U.P. and crossing the Mackinac Bridge.

Anyone have experiences crossing this bridge on a motorcycle? It is the longest suspension bridge in the western hemisphere at ~5 miles long. I hear it can get very windy.

I crossed it a few years ago and had no issues. I believe they will issue a warning if the winds are too high but honestly I don't remember it as being anything challenging or worth worrying about.

They list current conditions here: http://www.mackinacbridge.org/

John Ranalletta

There could be an issue if you've got a fear of heights and are riding in the inside travel lane which is open grate, similar to the old Tampa Bay Bridge.

I've crossed it quite a few times. It's not a big deal. The speed limit is pretty low, around 35mph if I recall correctly. Every time I cross it there is construction on the paved lane so we had to ride on the grate. That isn't a big deal either. Just take it easy. My wife doesn't like heights, so she just looks at the back of my helmet until we are on the other side.

I agree with the others that it is nothing to worry about. I crossed it a few years ago and was rather apprehensive beforehand, but once on it, I was fine. Both lanes were open so I moved over to the grating lane just to see what it was like and rode most of the crossing in that lane.

Relax and enjoy it!

HighAngleHell

I crossed it a couple of times back a few years ago. It is a great view. Thik of it as a "right of passage." There are people who would gladly pay dearly for the experience. Savor it and pull it out on those days when frustartion is about to take over.

Safe Travels,

DH

Thanks for the responses. I'm sure we'll be fine, I just wanted to hear from a few people who've crossed it.

Koop,

Sounds like a great ride and post pictures when you return. You will have no problem on the bridge. Don't forget to stop and get some pasties!

:)

I ride it several times each year. No big deal, as long as you relax. If you lock up your muscles and really tighten up on the bars, it gets a bit wiggly. Just pick a gear, and enjoy it.

Antimatter

I crossed it in high winds with a pilot car leading a bunch of cars hauling trailers and myself. Near the peak, it got a bit tricky - the wind would cut off when passing behind some of the bridge structures and you had to be careful to compensate for that. We were restricted to 20 mph so it wasn't too bad, I just had to remember to stay loose on the bars and relax when the wind blew.

BTW, the view from the top of the arc was magnificent.

I enjoyed crossing the bridge. :thumbsup:

I just got back from Lake Placid, nice place. The ski jump complex is worth checking out as is Lake Placid Pub & Brewery. The pub has some fine microbrews & one mean cheeseburger. ;)

Whiteface Mountain auto road is a must do & you should take a few hours to see Ausable Chasm in Keeseville.

Pat

If you like smoked fish you must stop at the foot of the south side of the bridge. I forget the name of the place but the taste is out of this world.

Matt, Kazoo
OK, i must be a wuss, but the Mack is the ONLY bridge that scared the Sh#it out of me....

The Mac has never worried me much. And I've crossed in some pretty stiff breezes. The bridge that I will do just about anything than to have to cross it again is the International bridge at Sault St. Marie. 2 lanes, rain, curves, and big trucks, and it seems you're miles above the water. Nope, not going to do it again. maybe.

OK, i must be a wuss, but the Mack is the ONLY bridge that scared the Sh#it out of me....

The Mac has never worried me much. And I've crossed in some pretty stiff breezes. The bridge that I will do just about anything than to have to cross it again is the International bridge at Sault St. Marie. 2 lanes, rain, curves, and big trucks, and it seems you're miles above the water. Nope, not going to do it again. maybe.

Haven't been across the Mighty Mac on two wheels (yet) but no problems caged in over 2 dozen crossings. :grin:

You want a scary bridge, try the Huey P. Long outside New Orleans. Built in the 20's (I think), it is a railroad bridge across the Mississippi that they slapped a couple of very skinny auto-carrying lanes onto. Two lanes - technically - hanging off either side. Lanes are about 6 feet wide with tons of big truck traffic. I gripped the wheel so tightly my hands hurt by the time I got off it. :eek: I suspect a bike is the only relaxing way to cross it as it is the only thing that will realistically fit the lanes.

If you worry about the wind, cross early in the morning. The wind *normally* tends to be fairly quiet in the morning.

Thanks guys for all of the info. This post gives me a second thought, coming from North Bay we'll have to cross into Sault St Marie - is this the same crossing? It's not my welfare I'm concerned about, it's Donna on her F800ST.

If worse comes to worse,there's a guy there sometimes that'll ride the bike across for you.(Call ahead)If it is windy take the inside lane (grating) and use a vehicle beside you - preferably a big one - for a wind block.Take your time and don't worry about the cars lining up behind you,they are going too fast anyway.No Problem.

The international Bridge at the twin Saults is a cakewalk compared to the Mac!!

Two of us did the Mac last summer in a cold, blowing, rain storm on F650 twins. I had expected the worst from the horror stories I had been told. Using the paved lane, was a non-experience. Coming from Kansas the wind was not a factor, just didn't like the cold rain in summer.

Yup, you cross and then come down to St. Ignace and cross the bridge to Mackinaw City. If you are staying overnight, the St. Ignace side is less expensive.

Archived