IGNORED

Spring Torrey Check-in

bakerzdosen

bakerzdosen

Just a quick note that Amy and I got back OK. Kickstand down at 1pm MDT.

A bit windy, but not bad for our trip.

Thanks to all. Great to see everyone.

You mean it's over.......already.

I was wondering where everyone went.

We are still here. A front is moving in.

Tom is loading the Sanford and Son's mobiles.

Eddd is making room for the Whips in his truck rig.

Tom is loading the Sanford and Son's mobiles.

Make sure to take some pics so we can point and laugh some more :grin:

Bullett and Twisties in at 4:30.

Great ride over Sweeper and Huntington/Fairview. Cool, cloudy and breezy, with some high wind, but not too much. Roads all dry. Great seeing everybody!

Calvin's bike is in our garage, so we presume he is safe and sound in the skies over the great plains about now.

Mrs. Caddis

Had a great ride through Glen Canyon, then the clouds and dust storms started to build and the wind kept increasing. Heading toward Cortez, CO, the crosswinds got so bad that we thought the bikes were going to go airborne. It even started raining mud! So we bagged it for the day at Monticello, Utah. The wind advisory says 40-60mph till 9 pm tonight. We will try again tomorrow.

Before Torrey XX, we should make sacrificial offerings to the windgawds for appeasement.

Need tires in St. George, UT. See the new thread if you can help us out. The local dealership opens Tuesday at 9 and we don't know if they even have tires yet.

A good time was had by all, even if we are stuck in St. Geo.

What wind? I wasn't blowing when I came through----It was a flipping gale-- Some of the worst winds I have ever experienced, but home safe and sound.

Hope everyone else makes it with no problems, and can't wait till next Torrey!

Was great seeing everyone again

Not home yet, but we made our goal of the Orgeon border by 5PM, and with visible rain and lightning ahead in the eastern Oregon mountains, decided to call it a night. Jeff and I should make it home by Monday afternoon.

Made it as far as Choteau,MT..Cold trip and lots of snow in the southern part of Montana. Lost my right side luggage between Provo and SLC. A guy in a 1/2 ton flagged me down as he saw it fly off and hit the road. He described where he saw it so I went back looking for it but it was gone when I got there. Someone will have a mixed blessing.

The bag contained small presents for my wife and grandaughter, a bottle of Yellow Tail Shiraz, and all my dirty socks, underwear, and an old pair of shoes.

Funny thing is, I gave both bags a good shake when I gassed up at Provo. I must have shaken the right one too hard.

Hope to be back to Edmonton by late afternoon tomorrow. It looks to be another trying day weather wise. I hope everybody else has better luck on their journies than I have so far.

Home his afternoon. Sorry my stay was so short in Torrey. I really wanted to re-connect but Monday is a big day for me and I was pre occupied with not being home in time. Wind was a bitch leaving Saturday blowing hard all the way to Vegas where I bedded down for the night. Winds today were worse on the 15 with temps in the 40-50s. Still glad I came and look forward to catching up with friends soon.

Graydude

lawnchairboy

at FT Riley, home of the big red one.

another couple days to go. Thought the truck was gonna get blown off 70 today.

Dennis Andress

Laney and I got home around 4:30. It was cold the whole way with temps falling to 44 as we climbed past Searchlight. Even in Baker it was no warmer then 65! The wind was a bitch even in the truck.

Hope everyone gets home okay.

Yep, we're home, bikes off the trailer by 5:30, and the trailer tucked away by 6. If I had any doubts about having the bikes on a trailer for this trip to Torrey, they were gone going south on 15 in the wind today. :P

It seemed as if the two years we've missed going to Torrey never happened. It was the same kind of warmth, great riding, and fun that it always has been.

It was great to see everyone, meet and ride with new people, and finally get to redline the new bike. Woooo Hoooo! :grin:

C_Williams

Made it home safely, fighting the winds and low temps all the way, even some rain north of Vegas.

Good to see everyone again

OK, so it wasn't that windy. Guess I just felt like knocking off early. Tomorrow is gonna be wet and windy. Yuck.

:P

HOME!! As of about 2:00 a.m. this morning ... After the aborted attempt Saturday, I did get my Saddle Sore done with 1084 miles on the odometer yesterday ... I don't think my bed has ever felt so good! :dopeslap:

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome! It was such a pleasure getting to see what all the fuss is about.

Laney & Dennis --- thank you again for playing tour guide. It was wonderful to finally meet you both!

Norah --- tour guide duty will be yours next time! :grin:

Mama Hoon --- well, you know ... :wave:

It was definitely the trip of a lifetime!!

:clap:

bakerzdosen

I'm sooo glad we didn't wait until today to come home. I would not have expected THIS much rain/snow going on out there... Wind sucks, but snow is worse.

JerryMather

In Barstow getting gas and should be home before noon today.

Thanks to all that came up this time, it was a nice relaxing weekend and great to see you all.

For those still on the road or stranded by the weather, pick your time carefully, then go for it. Another Pacific winter storm is on the way in. We're heading home from Tahoe today while we can.

We have a Winter Storm Watch posted for the Sierra tomorrow through Thursday. Be careful.

Norah --- tour guide duty will be yours next time! :grin:

:clap::clap:...What a great Torrey! Spending time with old friends, making new friends and riding those beautiful roads. We made it in last night around seven after fighting the Sunday traffic through Vegas. Thought about everyone on two wheels who had to deal with that wind. As always, thank you Randy and Jamie and family for hosting us. I never get tired of Torrey and look so forward to September!!

PhillyFlash

Home Sunday afternoon around 4 pm, just like Tim. Tim, Craig and I got separated north of Flagstaff after fighting the wind. Fought even worse wind south of Flagstaff, but then reconnected with Tim. Craig was MIA and we figured he took a different route home, which he did, and ended up getting home before we did (but we had more fun).

Another fine time at Torrey, even though I barely got to ride on Nora's new Monster. (At least I didn't take it all the way to Hanksville, Nora). See many of you at the Un, or Fall Torrey (XX).

Pennys Dad
In Barstow getting gas and should be home before noon today.

Thanks to all that came up this time, it was a nice relaxing weekend and great to see you all.

Did you stop in Baker for gas, I saw a Beemer rider there this morning.

Otherwise:

Ended up staying in Vegas last night due to high wind advisory and rain in the Baker/Barstow area. Got on the road this morning and few home without issue, it was actually an enjoyable ride.

Norah's new bike,, An't she a beauty,,And the bike an't bad looking ether :grin: Was good to see ya http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu227/10ovr/IMG_0162.jpg[/img]]

I can't help it..... :clap::clap:. Tim, it was great to see you too and all the rest. Howard, next time I know what "I'm just going to take it down the street and back" means. I'll just set up my lawn chair, umbrella, ice chest,radio,snacks, maybe lunch and dinner and wait.... :grin:

I too made it home safe and sound. Left Friday at 3pm and made it into SLC at 6:05. My boys baseball games that I was supposed to coach on Saturday were both rainouts. So I could have stayed. Arrrgh!!

It was good to see those that I saw. Wished I had stuck around long enough to see Jamie, Leslie, Howard, and others that I haven't seen in a while.

Until next time...

Jeff and I finally got home around 2PM today. Great ride. Very cold leaving Torrey early on Sunday. Saw sub-30 temps. But we had plenty of heat. Winds were always present, but not the problem they were on Fri/Sat in Torrey. Our Friday ride to Colorado was great in the morning, but by the time we returned that afternoon, it was absolutely miserable, if not treacherous, trying to get back to the Chuckwagon.

Great to see every one again. It was really heart-warming to hear Vlad say that he'd "gotten his riding partner back." With both of them on Italian twins, no road will be safe for the pretenders of this world. Enjoy, you two.

JerryMather

Great to see every one again. It was really heart-warming to hear Vlad say that he'd "gotten his riding partner back." With both of them on Italian twins, no road will be safe for the pretenders of this world. Enjoy, you two.

That kinda sounds like a challenge. Guess I need to put a set of new shoes on my little 996 and see if I can catch up with those two. I think I'll see if Sam wants in on this too. :thumbsup:

Marty Hill

I can't help it..... :clap::clap:. Tim, it was great to see you too and all the rest. Howard, next time I know what "I'm just going to take it down the street and back" means. I'll just set up my lawn chair, umbrella, ice chest,radio,snacks, maybe lunch and dinner and wait.... :grin:

Hey Nora,

Glad you took the Duc to torrey. Not sure you should give the keys to Howard for a short ride.

Hey Marty!! We missed you in Torrey....I did give Howard the keys and when I found him at the gas station after his test drive he had a BIG grin on his face.........

And now another instalment of the Wind Sucks theme. Have been getting hammered since leaving Denver this morning. had to settle for about 10 under because passing big trucks was frightening. One such pass almost induced a tank-slapper. Followed another truck for 50 miles watching his trailer dog-track and fishtail. At one point I swear I saw the wheels/tires on one side come off the ground. Am in York Nebraska. Home tomorrow. (I hope)

Hey Marty!! We missed you in Torrey....I did give Howard the keys and when I found him at the gas station after his test drive he had a BIG grin on his face.........

Hey Marty ... Norah's right ... we missed you! Would have loved to have seen you on my first Torrey adventure! :grin:

Pennys Dad
And now another instalment of the Wind Sucks theme. Have been getting hammered since leaving Denver this morning. had to settle for about 10 under because passing big trucks was frightening. One such pass almost induced a tank-slapper. Followed another truck for 50 miles watching his trailer dog-track and fishtail. At one point I swear I saw the wheels/tires on one side come off the ground. Am in York Nebraska. Home tomorrow. (I hope)

Be safe.

Marty Hill

Hey Marty ... Norah's right ... we missed you! Would have loved to have seen you on my first Torrey adventure! :grin:

Shannon,

Glad you got there and met both Laney and Nora/told you they were the best! Mostly a good group to be with. :eek:

Mostly a good group to be with. :eek:

:rofl:

In today about 5 after leaving Vegas at noon. Left Torrey about 10am on Sunday with calm winds and thought they were finished. Wrong. Went up through Richfield to get to a Wells Fargo and then took 89 down to Zion. 89 and 9 were windy and gusty, no fun. Zion was wonderful and calm, and I though to myself the ride to Vegas will be smooth. Wrong again! Thank god it was mostly head winds and not the gusty cross winds. If you heard anyone cursing up a storm from 4 to 6 on Sunday that was me.

I even had a few drops on the wind shield just outside Vegas like Carl said.

It was nice seeing Dennis and Carl and meeting Graham from Edmonton. It rained on him both coming and going. Graham, you the man.

I did get to Bryce on Saturday. There is so much more to see in Utah. I'll be back.

PhillyFlash
Howard, next time I know what "I'm just going to take it down the street and back" means. I'll just set up my lawn chair, umbrella, ice chest,radio,snacks, maybe lunch and dinner and wait.... :grin:

It wasn't my fault. I ran out of gas. I, I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts. IT WASN'T MY FAULT, I SWEAR TO GOD. :cry:

Actually, it was a very long street. Be thankful we weren't closer to US 95; now that's a really long street. I probably wouldn't have found a place to turn around until I reached Blanding. I do appreciate you letting me take the Monster out for that little ride, though. First time I've been on a bike like that. I may have to take Russell's Tuono out next time just for comparison. OK, Russell? Russell? Russell?

Matts_12GS

Back about 745 EST with 4109 miles on the bike plus 1500 on the truck. I could get used to this! Great to see and meet so many folks.

Wind does suck, made it all the way to Limon CO on Saturday fighting it.

PhillyFlash
Hey Nora,

Glad you took the Duc to torrey. Not sure you should give the keys to Howard for a short ride.

At least I brought it back. Marty might have sold it. :grin:

Hey Nora,

:rofl:...or kept it in the garage.....after all, two ducs are better than one!!

Marty Hill
Hey Nora,

Howard, I'm shocked. :wave:

Les is more

Family of three in the cage, back home with one over-tired baby. She was a great little traveler though and thought that Torrey had "Nice people and wewy bweeful wed wocks."

Thanks once again for the hospitality, Killer!

The Nomadic Tribe is back at base camp in Phoenix. Was great to see everyone as usual. Special thanks to Edd for being a great teacher to the kids, and Richard for taking the time to help Laura get through her 4th ride ever in winds that many of us can attest to sucked big time. She didn't quit and that makes me one proud Husband. Shannon and the East Coasters, it was great to see you but wish I could have spent more time with you all. I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

Tommy and Crew

I may have to take Russell's Tuono out next time just for comparison. OK, Russell? Russell? Russell?

:) You take the Tuono, I'll take Nora's pretty little monster, and we'll have a big ol' time!

Nice looking ride, Nora! Congrats!

Missed everyone this time (and darn it, I keep missing Shannon!! BOO!)

I'm planning on making Fall Torrey come hell or high water!!

Hugs from me for all of you!!

russell_bynum
I may have to take Russell's Tuono out next time just for comparison. OK, Russell? Russell? Russell?

Sure thing, bro. I know you won't go all the way to Hanksville.

Archived