IGNORED

R1200RT & Akrapovic benefits?

duckboy

ok, i know the Akrapovic slipon doesn't really report too much of a torque or power gain (per their dyno plot on their page) but, i'd like to hear from some actual owners as to any real world benefits (if any) of this particular slipon.

and if it just made the bike sound better, i'd like to hear your comments as well.

i have an '09 R12RT and am thinking about adding this expensive part to the bike. i would like a little more low & mid range torque and it's too expensive to trade in for a 2010 model.

thanks for your time & sharing.

duckboy

Artic beemer

If you want more torque and power there are other options, and yes, even more expensive. This guy is one alternative;

http://www.rennkuh.de/verkauf

This company rebuild beemers to Rennkuh, but they also can beef up yours whitout making a Rennkuh out of it.

John Bentall
ok, i know the Akrapovic slipon doesn't really report too much of a torque or power gain (per their dyno plot on their page) but, i'd like to hear from some actual owners as to any real world benefits (if any) of this particular slipon.

and if it just made the bike sound better, i'd like to hear your comments as well.

i have an '09 R12RT and am thinking about adding this expensive part to the bike. i would like a little more low & mid range torque and it's too expensive to trade in for a 2010 model.

thanks for your time & sharing.

duckboy

and the 2010RT is barely faster in the real world......

If an Akropovic will make you happier, then go for it - you only live once. Alternatively spend the exhaust money on a great road trip (which would be my choice every time).

• 3 weeks later...
RockyGlide

Exhaust systems always seem to be a controversial subject. Everyone has an opinion (to which we are entitled) whether or not it's the same as another's. Having said that I have the Akrapovic on my '08 R1200RT & I really like it. It has a really nice deep sound (the best & not just because I bought it) which I attribute to the 2 chambers in the muffler body itself, almost making the exhaust "system" a 2 into 1 into 2 configuration. I had a Remus on a 2000 R1100RT & a Laser on my '06 R1200RT & neither sounded as good as the Akrapovic. Personally I favour the Akrapovic over the others. My seat of the pants dyno can't really say there is much, if any of a power gain - sometimes when we hear more "noise" from an engine we think there is more power, this is not always so, however, the other R1200RT's never pass me. The bike does seem to pull a little stronger from 6 - 8000rpm over the stock exhaust.

The bike just seems to run better, smoother & crisper & I like that. I like the little "rumble" of the exhaust as well. I have had many compliments on the sound of the exhaust from others, even Harley riders.

I must say that you have to hand it to BMW for making an excellent stock exhaust system which works extremely well & is quiet to boot. There aren't really any aftermarket exhaust companys whose system make a huge performance improvement over the stock system.

If you read the dyno charts very few systems show a significant improvement over the stock in the rpm range most people tour at in the 4 - 6,000rpm except for the Laser system & only when their muffler is used with their down pipes (headers) which do not have the cat.

If you're looking for the exhaust to give you the kind of performance gains that you'd get from changing to a high flow filter & free flow exhaust as on a Harley, forget it. It won't happen with the RT.

BTW: I was informed by 1 of the performance shops that they found no performance gains by changing the stock BMW R1200RT air filter to a K & N filter. The dyno showed no HP or TQ differences at all.

What do I know, I'm no expert, just like performance.

Sorry about rambling on. You just asked about the sound. I like the sound albeit it's a bit pricey.

I hope I don't miss my RT as I'm thinking of selling it & getting a K1300GT (I used to think that a motorcycle should not have more than 2 cylinders, silly me).

Ride Safe

Ride Hard

Ride Far

rockyglide, thanks for your inputs. very helpful.

over the years and many bikes, i've bought many exhaust systems. some worked. some didn't work. i'll be forking out for this Akrapovic unit based on the positive comments everyone's been tooting. i do like the stock system. it is quiet when needed. i've run the high flow filters on my r12gs and all it got me was more intake honk and engine oil that got dirty more quickly.

i test rode the k13gt prior to getting my r12rt. for my needs, the rt felt like an old friend. the gt felt a bit buzzy at the crotch and lacked the low end grunt from big single or twin engines.

again, thanks everyone for your insightful help.

duckboy

This is a bit of a thread hijack, sorry. I was just looking at the sport system. Looks good. If it is something you need I would do it. Nothing like having several silencers hanging on the garage wall. One thing, weight, every 7 lbs. taken off the bike is equal to gaining 1 HP! (I think about that every time I have a beer and chips). I like the stock unit though. Trouble ahead: I have the luxury of owning both a 2010 RT and a K1300S. I can do a comparison any time. The fellow thinking about trading in his RT, be careful. They are so different I can not compare them except to say I love them both. And, low end grunt, humm, don't ride the K bike below 4500 RPM when business is at hand. You will find there is a fair amount of power. Works even better when you keep it over 6K in the twisties or when you are looking for action. Thinking it will come on hard at 3500 like an RT is not going to bring a satisfactory response. I ride my K bike for days below 5K rpm, and start thinking "what is all the fuss about this bike, its not so fast", then I run it to 8500 or 9000 for a few gears and holy s..t, you better be in control. Back to exhaust, take a look at the Stainetune slip on, super well made and a nice product. I would put one on my K bike if they made them for it. Default is Remus. I do like the almost two silencers (in one) of the unit you described. beech

A bike is a whole package deal. Every other bike in the world probably has something better than whaterever you think is the best (many on this forum will pick the RT of course). Nothing wrong with trying to make a good thing even better. In some cases that might be simply making a bike sound better.

I'm the type that loves to tinker with things but realize that there is little you can do with most modern cars and bikes. They are already tuned to such a high state that it is hard to improve on that.

Anyway... my bike is too new to start messing around with but I can see me changing the exhaust in the future. But right now I am liking the stock exhaust system a lot.

F! Did I say anything in this post??? Just do whatever your heart desires.

tsp

2010 R1200RT replaced 2003 ST1300

I am one of those guys that loves a good sounding (read not obnoxious) scoot...but I sure enjoyed the quiet stock RT in Yellowstone and the Tetons.

Archived