IGNORED

Hot weather riding

SuperG

Two issues/questions

1: has anybody figured out a way to get more air to the torso area with the stock windshield. Lowering the shield to lowest pos. only channels air to the helmet which is = lots of noise.

Any deflector option windshield mod?

2: would 80w-90 gear lube be advisable in our final drive during hot summer months vs. the 20w-50 recommended by the dealer?

Most cars, trucks and I think even Japanese bike's final drives use gear lube instead of motor oil.

Would that prevent early death of the FD?

Two issues/questions

2: would 80w-90 gear lube be advisable in our final drive during hot summer months vs. the 20w-50 recommended by the dealer?

BMW specifies Castrol SAF-XO for hexhead final drives. That's a 75W90 synthetic GL-5 gear oil. 20W50 is one of the recommended oil viscosities for the Boxer engine. Either your dealer is wrong, or something got lost in translation.

Ok this was a brain fart on my part , yes 80w-90 in the trans and final drive. That is what I put in it.

I don't know what was I thinking, must have been the hot weather riding this afternoon :)

ignore question 2 please

1: has anybody figured out a way to get more air to the torso area with the stock windshield. Lowering the shield to lowest pos. only channels air to the helmet which is = lots of noise.

I haven't heard of anybody doing it, but I suppose that removing the little transparent plastic thingies would help direct some air to the torso.

I agree those Baker wings are ugly.

But I wonder how those little pieces of plastic can decide when to deflect or draw in air depending on the temperature of said air.

From the website:

# Air Wings™ Deflect Cold Air and Rain Away.

# Draws in Cooler Air in Hot Weather.

markgoodrich
They can turn. You tilt the wing to deflect air to you or away from you.

Yep. Had 'em on a Goldwing, and they move an amazing amount of air towards your torso. You still bake behind the Goldwing fairing and shield, though.

I like hot weather. I have never seen weather too hot for me and I have lived in Palm Springs.

If I die and go to hell it won't bother me. I enjoy the heat.

dc

Mister Tee

I know it seems counterintuitive, but in really hot (100+) weather, you are better of NOT directing a lot of air to you, as it will accelerate dehydration.

wbrissette

dc:

Move to Yuma, AZ or Bullhead City, then tell me you love the heat. ;)

I was stationed in 29 Palms for a while, and trust me Palm Springs/29 Palms, or any part of that area has nothing on cities where you have both heat and humidity. But I have noticed the lack of air on the RT and it is a bit of an issue during the heat of the Texas summers.

Wayne

Been riding for 52 years. FWIW, I do as little hot weather riding as I can but sometimes it's unavoidable if you want to ride. I travel with a Camelbak filled with cold Gatoraide or water and sip frequently. If it is filled with water, I can douse myself periodically. I also have a "cool vest" which is a super absorbent vest that you get sopping wet and then ride - the evaporative effect is refreshing but short-lived because it dries rather quickly. I also generally wear a light weight, loose fitting, long sleeve cotton shirt which keeps the sun off (sunburn) but allows air to flow thru. Frequent stops and hydration are the key.

Bob Wood

Oceanside, CA

well yes , true.

We get close to and often above 100 degrees temps here in Texas.

Direct hot air blowing will dry up skin and makes it feel hotter.

I ride with a perforated leather(shoulder, elbow) and mesh textile in chest area jacket.

I sweat under the jacket in that temp, but air movement through the jacket will help evaporate the moisture which will cool the body.

So some air movement is needed. Not a direct blast. So I am trying to channel some air behind the RT's largely protected front.

Some goldwings have a small adjustable (slide) window on the front windshield. I suppose that would work, but I like to keep the aesthetics of the stock look.

Also there is a good amount of air flowing between the fairing and the windshield- huge gap. so maybe a small clear plastic deflector would do the trick.

CoarsegoldKid
I like hot weather. I have never seen weather too hot for me and I have lived in Palm Springs.

If I die and go to hell it won't bother me. I enjoy the heat.

dc

Sick. Just sick I say.

I've had pretty good luck with these "winglets" from SA Engineering. IIRC, they were originally designed to go on a GS windshield to stop helmet buffeting. When it's cold, I have them flat so they block the hand grips. When it gets hot, I turn them so I get air back on my chest. I wished they looked a bit better, but I like the extra airflow more than I dislike the looks. I got them when I went with a CalSci windshield (shown in the photos - blocks a lot of wind). The CalSci kept cracking and I changed to a CeeBailey. The winglets work well with the CeeBailey also.

354317227_y8WnG-XL.jpg

354317421_DHCQt-XL.jpg

Back in the early 80's (dark ages according to my kids), in mid-August, I was standing in the A&W Root Beer (Dairy Queen?) in Gila Bend, AZ riding my Gold Wing in the middle of the day from Phoenix to Yuma. Dumb! Anyhow, this old guy comes up to me and starts talking about riding Harleys across the desert in the '50's. His trick was to thoroughly drench your shirt and then put on the jacket, fully zipped up. Slowed down the evaporation enough to buy you some time. I limped across I-8, stopping about once an hour at the rest stops to resoak my shirt. Was as cool as a cucumber even pulling into Yuma and seeing 123 on the thermometer.

I still live in a hot climate (California Central Valley), I still use that trick and it still works - the idea is avoid the hot air, don't direct it onto yourself.

JayJay

Guys,

Thank you for the advice, PMs, pictures and suggestions.

I will try the wet T-shirt trick ... it may work well in the hot dry desert in AZ, but it may not work well in hot and humid env.

But surely worth a try.

The adjustable wings also seem like a good idea because it can be used in the summer and winter to direct air to or away from the body.

I will give it s swirl :)

Wayne,

I did live in AZ - Bullhead city and later in Lake Havasu, around 1994, ( had a Kawasaki ZX6 back then ). I loved both places. I got used to the dry heat in a few months time. The lake was piss warm during the summer ( non cooling) but boating up north from Havasu on the river through the gorge, the water quickly got much cooler. I loved those sand bars on the river; beautiful place.

Penforhire

Another trick for you -- when I know I'm going to roast on a ride I bring along a pump-up 'personal mister.' Same model sold by Rider's Wearhouse but I got it a lot cheaper at Walmart.

I put the pump/bottle in the tank bag and clip the nozzle pointing up at my chin. Then I turn the mist on as I overheat. Feels GREAT, the wind blows a mist from my chest to my face, and lasts longer than the wet insert I also use under my helmet.

Last summer I purchased a Cool Medics Bandana and a cooling vest. The Bandana worked very well and stayed cool for quite some time. The hottest temperature I experience last year was around 104 or so degrees. I didn't use the cooling vest.

I also used a 48 oz Camelbak that I kept in my tank bag. I filled it with G2, sometimes water and ice. A hydration pack is a must to keep you hydrated as you ride.

In my limited experience in very hot weather, I found this worked for me. Almost all the info I received was from the responses to my hot weather riding post on this website.

Archived