IGNORED

Concours or GT?

AZKomet

Ok, after much angst I made a decision on a new machine. First, I would like to thank Marty Hill who helped me immensely. He picked me up at the airport, let me stay at the Marty Hillton :grin: and helped me get the bike.

So, after 2085 miles back home I thought I would share my new ride info.

First of all some comparisons. The Kaw Connie is smoother, faster and supplies more wind protection. It also is on rails in the corners. It does have its downfalls like no cruise and a shorter mile range. The power from the 4K rev mark is blistering fast.

The GT is buzzy at speeds. It is not as smooth as the old style K12 RS nor does it have the spool up that I loved so well with the older RS model.

It lacks wind protection and that is evident on the highway behind big trucks and the like.

It does have a superior fuel range and cruise control. The seating position is not as upright as the connie even with barbacks/risers. It is powerful throughout the revs and the spool up is much more civilized than the connie after 4k.

The 13GT corners well and is very nimble. It does have some qualities that surpasses the connie but I cannot put my finger on it.

So the new ride? I chose the 1300 GT for a couple reasons. It's a BMW and will hold its KBB better than the connie. I got it for less than a new connie here in AZ. It has EVERYTHING that BMW puts on it. It has cruise which was a no no for connie even though it is a simple thing to put on. The fuel range was the most important thing though I think. I hate putting gas in a machine every 150-180 miles which is about what the connie gets on a tank. After riding a connie for 8 hrs I made up my mind about that.

I know you want pics? Later....it is galaxy blue and pretty dirty at the moment. Rain, dust storms and a stinking flat tire 200 miles from Phx was the only issue.

BTW I threw that Stop and Go tire plugger away. What a joke that is. Plain old tire plugging cord did the trick after several attempts with the other. I did get carried away a couple times and was stopped for performance awards. :(

None the less it is a great machine....I would have chosen the connie though if it had cruise and a bigger tank. I am partial to BMW though, every time I get a Japanese bike I go back to BMW.

I will keep my GSA for the moment as I have summer plans for it. After that? Who knows. Phil did a great job at not spilling the beans!! Thanks Phil! Marty too!!!!

Can't believe ya didn't get the connie... :rofl:

At least the end of the connie threads tho... :grin:

:wave:

awaiting more ride reports from the GT. :thumbsup:

MB>

Firefight911

Oh thank God!! I was turning blue holding my breath!!

Congrats!! You can follow me anywhere. Afterall, everyone knows the red is faster than the blue!

Oh thank God!! I was turning blue holding my breath!!

Congrats!! You can follow me anywhere. Afterall, everyone knows the red is faster than the blue!

I do need some info on farkles....will PM ya later. Yes...I got blue so you wouldn't cry!!!!!!

yabadabapal

The newspapers and magazines have been contacted. i was wondering what you were going to get. Congratulations, you made the right choice.

ericfoerster

Sorry I missed you on this trip! Congrats on the new scooter and maybe we can ride again some day.

MrHondamatic

I did get carried away a couple times and was stopped for performance awards. :(

And that is exactly the reason I passed on the GT last year when I was bike shopping. I knew my license would never withstand the temptations that bike brought to the surface. Enjoy it well. Oh wait, you already have been. :grin:

It's still a BUB.

:/

Glad I don't have to take you to task about that.

Performance awards?

Didja leave yer wallet at home?

You must have been out of the reciprocity range.

:grin:

Stop n Go?

Couldn't get the plug to seat or seal?

I thought cruise was to keep from getting awards?

;)

No pics?

A likely excuse...

It's still a BUB.

:/

Glad I don't have to take you to task about that.

Performance awards?

Didja leave yer wallet at home?

You must have been out of the reciprocity range.

:grin:

Stop n Go?

Couldn't get the plug to seat or seal?

I thought cruise was to keep from getting awards?

;)

No pics?

A likely excuse...

Yes, it is a Bub....

I was running naked w/o radar. And let's just say the officers and I had something in common...I will leave it at that. That old hiding behind billboards still works!! :rofl:

The Stop and go was a POS......

Here's the story. I picked up a nail just inside the AZ border. The TPM warning light came on telling me my air pressure was steadily going down. I pull over thinking I am prepared. I plug it pump it up and then it blows out. I do it again and place place less air in the tire.

I ride about 100 yards and it goes out again. The closest gas station is 15 miles.....I place 8, yes 8 plugs in the tire to get there. I buy a $4.00 plug kit that has the traditional cord plug and in 10 minutes I am on my way. 2 hrs with the stop and go to get 15 miles........hmmmmm.....so needless to say I will buy a tire plug kit that has the cord. BTW I have not had a flat on a m/c in 25 years so I guess I was overdue.

And yes...cruise is for that purpose. But I was like a kid in a candy store on some of those roads!! I don't think I used cruise but 4 times on the way back????

Once I dress her all up I will give you a shot of her.......

So, are you going to replace the tire?

:lurk:

Yes, I am on my way to the barn to clean her up and pull it off and get it replaced. I never plug and keep a tire. You know why!!!

CoarsegoldKid

Enjoy the new ride.

But did you actually get the awards.

My wife and I were recently riding through Texas on my RT and the winds were horrific. I understand though the desire to test the thrill of the upper RPM range on those open roads in Texas.

photoSchultzSmall.gif

Now that is freaking hilarious!!!!! I guess you are inferring to why replace a tire???? I always do. After looking at it this AM it has a ton of $hit in it!!!! Those highways are land mines for crap!!!!

That show is one of my favs....you know Bob Crane was killed right here in Scottsdale right?

Can't believe ya didn't get the connie... :rofl:

At least the end of the connie threads tho... :grin:

Maybe, maybe not :dopeslap:

Dave congrats on the new bike :thumbsup:

Dave,

I'm with you on the tires.

I replace early and advise against running plugged.

But, I also realize many have gone thousands of miles

on them.

To each his own.

I like to reduce variables.

Didn't think of the Scotsdale link to be honest, but was a huge Hogan's fan.

Will you be bringing it to the UN?

Dave,

I'm with you on the tires.

I replace early and advise against running plugged.

But, I also realize many have gone thousands of miles

on them.

To each his own.

I like to reduce variables.

Didn't think of the Scotsdale link to be honest, but was a huge Hogan's fan.

Will you be bringing it to the UN?

Yes, no plugs. I am not going to the UN.....I have plans. Trying to gear up for India. We shall see. Next time.....

Archived