IGNORED

bike cuts out

JamesW

I am stuck. While riding my '04RT, the engine will miss fire very rapidly once maybe twice in rapid succession as if the kill switch momentarily opens and closes. The problem is very intermittent. When in the garage at idle the rapid on/off miss fire will occur if bike runs long enough. I know what the problem isn't. It isn't the ignition or kill switch. It isn't the motronic control relay. It isn't the battery and doesn't seem to be a ground problem. It is not the fuel pump. If I unplug the connector to the pump the engine slowly begins to falter and does not do a rapid instantaneous shut down so I am pretty sure the problem is ignition related. Seems I know many things the problem isn't caused by and at this point I am completely out of ideas. I connected a timing light to one of the secondary plug wires but naturally the problem didn't occur while I was watching the light. If I had a spare Motronic control unit I would swap it out right about now. The closest dealer is about 145 miles away. HELP!

I am stuck. While riding my '04RT, the engine will miss fire very rapidly once maybe twice in rapid succession as if the kill switch momentarily opens and closes. The problem is very intermittent. When in the garage at idle the rapid on/off miss fire will occur if bike runs long enough. I know what the problem isn't. It isn't the ignition or kill switch. It isn't the motronic control relay. It isn't the battery and doesn't seem to be a ground problem. It is not the fuel pump. If I unplug the connector to the pump the engine slowly begins to falter and does not do a rapid instantaneous shut down so I am pretty sure the problem is ignition related. Seems I know many things the problem isn't caused by and at this point I am completely out of ideas. I connected a timing light to one of the secondary plug wires but naturally the problem didn't occur while I was watching the light. If I had a spare Motronic control unit I would swap it out right about now. The closest dealer is about 145 miles away. HELP!

This sounds like classic symptoms of a stick-coil failre to me.

If I am right, the missfire occurs when the seondary plug - which is the only one working - fails to light the mixture.

Disconnect the secondaries one at a time, and see which one causes a serious missfire. The stick coil on that side is dead.

Andy

Slyder_Steve

James,

Does turning the handlebar make a difference? Could be a broken wire in the ignition harness. Check the first ziptie coming from the switch. It's too tight and causes the wires to break. I just fixed mine this week.

Slyder

This sounds like classic symptoms of a stick-coil failre to me.

If I am right, the missfire occurs when the seondary plug - which is the only one working - fails to light the mixture.

Disconnect the secondaries one at a time, and see which one causes a serious missfire. The stick coil on that side is dead.

Andy

You could check this out by fitting a spare spark plug to one of the stick coils hold the plug against the engine - MAKE SURE YOU ARE HOLDING THE STICK COIL / PLUG WITH SOMETHING THAT WILL INSULATE YOU. Now crank the motor. watch the spark as you start to slowly move the plug away from the engine casing. See how far away you can get the plug until there is no spark. Now repeat this on the other side. You should not get a significant difference between sides in the amount of air gap the spark will jump.

Thought about stick coil failure but replaced both coils as one had completely failed and the other was intermittent just last fall. Last night I unplugged each coil in turn and all the bike did was run rough did not completely cut out. I slept on the problem and remembered that this winter I noted corrosion and signs of leakage on the positive battery terminal. When I replaced the battery I noted signs of acid leakage on the battery holder and also beneath it on top of transmission. I didn't remove the battery box I just loosened it up and dumped baking soda under it and then flushed with a hose. I think there is some major wiring in this area and also is the location for a major common ground terminal. So, today will remove gas tank and battery box and inspect carefully. If this doesn't turn up anything I will be totally lost. Wish I could operate the engine with tank removed. Oh, I really don't think the wiring from the ignition switch is pinched or faulty. I monitored the voltage from the Motronic relay to the Motronic when the mis fire occurred and the voltage remained constant so i eliminated the switch and switch wiring.

Archived