IGNORED

Satellite radio question

CruisinCruzan

CruisinCruzan

I am about to install a new Sirius Stratus 6 on my RT to replace a Roady XT. This radio comes with a cig plug that also acts as the FM transmitter (through the ground wire). Since i will be connecting the radio to the autocom I will not need this transmitting function. I would like to cut off the plug and wire it to my fuse block. Any electrical reason I could not do this? I know that Sirius would never say it was OK to modify one of their products.Thanks

markgoodrich

It's probable that the plug reduces the voltage going to the unit. If so, you can take the plug apart, find the two connectors inside, and solder wires to them...run them to power. I did that several years ago, wrapped the whole thing up in electrical tape, and it's still somewhere under my seat, powering up the sat radio.

as noted above, the old roady's had a voltage reducer built into the plug. many people did as noted above. I actually purchased a much smaller correct voltage reduction item and hard wired that to my centech. that worked very well. sorry I do not remember were i bought the power converter, but it was very small footprint.

CruisinCruzan

Thanks for the suggestions. The specs say 9-12 V in and 5V out so it looks like plug surgery.

RocketMoto

XMFan.com has direct wire power supplies. We typically do a plug-ectomy. Remove the DC-DC power supply from the plug, wire to the input through a 2AMP fuse (you can go to your Centech) and shrink tube the entire assembly.

Archived