IGNORED

Jacket/pants in the mountains mesh/textile?

tallman

Even at the lower elevations in the Appalachians a mesh jacket sometimes needs a liner for early morning or later in the day.

What about the Sierra's?

Do you wear a textile jacket and use venting as needed, or a mesh jacket and bring a liner?

Any suggestion for this and wrt mesh pants for the UN are appreciated.

At Topaz Lake (just over 5000 ft. in elevation), average July high is 89 and low is 49. Record high is 105 and low is 29.

The area typically cools down 10-20 degrees as soon as the sun goes down, then a slow drop until the low is reached just before dawn.

The area you are most likely to be riding in will vary in altitude from about 4700' (Eastern slope) to 8-10K' at the pass summits to 1000' on the western slope.

The eastern slopes are very steep, so altitude gain comes rapidly. Western slopes are much shallower.

I ride a Cycleport Ultra II Kevlar suit that while breathable, flows nowhere near the air of a mesh suit. I typically need a windproof/insulated liner below 60 degrees behind the fairing of my RT. Liner comes back out somewhere between 70 and 80 degrees.

I find a waterproof textile suit with only vents to get air flow inside far too hot for most of the riding I do.

Dennis Andress

Early morning will be cool. Dress warm and head for the mountains. As you gain altitude the temperature will fall, fast. This could mean a stop to put more gear on. If you're on an Eastern slope the sun will warm things up a little. Western slopes can stay cool until almost noon. Afternoon will be warm and pleasant in the mountains, and hotter at the lower elevations. I'd wear a mesh jacket only if I felt I could time things to be crossing the pass during the warm part of the day.

i know the sierra's are much higher elevation than we have in georgia, but I usually can get by with my mesh, and just my frogg togg gear. just put the frogg togg on over my mesh and it blocks out the wind so well, it makes the mesh jacket good to around 45 degrees. at least for me that works.

Dennis Andress

Rain gear over mesh is always very warm. I once crossed Sonora Pass late at night in August and got so cold I had to wrap a blanket around my legs while riding. Since then I wear more than I need, just in case.

Sonora Pass is at 9750 ft. The weather there today calls for a high of 32 degrees with 11 mph winds gusting to 23.

Although brief, afternoon thundershowers may happen if the Central Valley gets hot. But not enough to worry about. Sometimes they are a welcome change to the heat.

Layer for best results. Leave your winter gear at home.

C ya there.

MB>

Archived