IGNORED

Topaz/Sierra Passes as of 5/1

RT Russ

This probably should go in Ride Tales but I put it here due to the Topaz/UN tie in.

Had a reason to ride over to Genoa Nevada on 5/1 for some property issues. After the meeting and a great lunch at Red's Old 395 Grill in Carson City, I rode South to Topaz Lake.....

4592989860_1f33739d9f_b.jpg

I had intended to go over Hwy 108, Sonora Pass to get back to the Bay Area but found that 108, 120, and 4 were all still closed due to recent snow. From Topaz, I headed over Hwy 89 to Markleeville

4592371103_edd0989622_b.jpg

There was a lot of snow in the passes but the roads were clear. I did run into a lot of snow melt across the roads especially in the dark corners! I did not stop to take any pictures of that stuff.

4592990380_735518faa8_b.jpg

After I got back to Highway 88 I stopped at Capelle's Lake which was still frozen over. There was even a brave (crazy?) soul out there ice fishing!

4592371983_4106252a78_b.jpg

4592371629_8843518f7e_b.jpg

All told, I did near 450 miles that day. Lowest temps over Echo Summit were 28 degrees. I had the grips on high and my heated vest on. I was toasty warm but for my feet. At some point I may need to look at some heated insoles. A great day of riding but the snow melt sure made a mess of the bike!

Looks like some chilly fun! Having the road to yourself is priceless.

All this late snow is really screwing up our plans to do route testing for the UN, especially the off road stuff. :P

We got about 2 inches of slushy snow Monday in the Minden area, but the ground was warm enough to almost immediately melt it off. Temps were above freezing throughout the storm.

There was some accumulation at Tahoe (6100'). I'm sure the passes got more, but should be a very rapid meltoff over the next few days.

It was 34 here two nights ago (2100 ft) with lots of rain and some hail, so I am sure there is plenty of fresh stuff up in the higher elevations.

Archived