IGNORED

Fuel Gauge Calibration

moshe_levy

All-

I think the fuel gauge in my RT is acting up, though I only have my 2004 RT to compare to. It takes at least 1.5-2 minutes to register a fill up, and typically shows completely empty after about 230 miles, when in fact I can keep riding for another 50 miles with no problem. Is this normal for the newer RTs?

-MKL

Don_Eilenberger

The delay in showing FULL is normal. Usually takes 1-2 minutes of engine-on for mine to update. Can't say as to your range, but BMW normally figures 1 gallon or so in reserve when 0 is showing.. so if you're getting 50MPG it sounds just right.

Yesterday, I rode 55 miles with Miles To Empty reading -----, and when I filled I still had 0.4 gallons in there. It's way off.

-MKL

On my bike, when the low fuel warning comes on, I have about 2 gallons left.

When the Mileage computer counts down to 0, I still have a gallon usable left.

Max I have pushed it (haven't run out) is 42 miles past the 0 miles indication.

Don_Eilenberger
Yesterday, I rode 55 miles with Miles To Empty reading -----, and when I filled I still had 0.4 gallons in there. It's way off.

-MKL

Moshe,

You can ask the dealer to recalibrate it. This requires draining the fuel tank and letting it dry out overnight usually.. then putting in the amount of fuel you want to have in it when it indicates 0 miles to go - and then setting the electronics so this ends up being the default "0.00 miles"..

Since it's a new bike, hopefully your dealer will not say "They all do that.."..

My RT can fit a little over 6 gallon in after a near empty reading. The OBC reads something like 25 miles left. Typically, this is upwards of 280 miles on the clock.

My fuel strip went a year ago. It went from working fine to dead empty with a full tank. After reading many threads about this issue, I don't trust the gage no more and use the trip.

Funny how technology never fails to fail...eventually. Maybe just showing my age but I have always used the trip odometer to 'guage' my fuel requirements.

Gee, I remember before bikes had 'fuel gauges', and the OAT gauge was your face :-).

Jim

On my bike, when the low fuel warning comes on, I have about 2 gallons left.

When the Mileage computer counts down to 0, I still have a gallon usable left.

Max I have pushed it (haven't run out) is 42 miles past the 0 miles indication.

From BMW's website, the R1200RT's capacity numbers:

Usable tank volume 6.6 gallons (25 l)

Reserve approx. 1 gallon (4.0 l)

That adds up to 7.6 gallons (US). I ran my DTE to 6 miles once and still only put in less than 6 gallons.

I run 42-46 MPG and always reset the trip odo at fillups.

Just once, I swear, I'm going to carry a full gas can and run it until it stops running. Then I'll know I have 1 gallon left.

And my fuel strip fied last week. Just running on the trip now. :eek:

Sound like mine.

From low fuel light on to "zero miles left" is around 35 miles. From "zero miles left' to true empty (was carrying two fuel bottles) was another 60 miles. I will usually go 275 miles starting with a full tank before i refill - if I know a gas station is close by. Could go to 300 or so if need be.

That adds up to 7.6 gallons (US).

I believe the 1 gallon reserve is included in the 6.6 gal capacity.

Kerry in Mpls

Random data point...

My fuel gauge refused to wake up this Spring -- constantly indicated absolutely empty.

Took it in for repair, and just picked it up from the shop today. New fuel strip: $170. 1.8 hours labor: $162. Ouch! Well it does make me happier when it's working, so it's worth it to me.

I'm not really complaining, just providing my real-world numbers for those considering whether to fix their gauges.

Random data point...

My fuel gauge refused to wake up this Spring -- constantly indicated absolutely empty.

Took it in for repair, and just picked it up from the shop today. New fuel strip: $170. 1.8 hours labor: $162. Ouch! Well it does make me happier when it's working, so it's worth it to me.

I'm not really complaining, just providing my real-world numbers for those considering whether to fix their gauges.

I ran out of gas last Sunday night on the highway. Fuel Gauge said I had 78 miles to empty, reserve light not flashing. (I wasn't paying attention to the trip odometer.) Tilted bike to left side once stopped and fired it back up and rode to the next exit and got fuel. The next day the fuel strip gave up and has said I'm empty ever since.

Called the dealer - (I had this replaced early last April under warranty. My factory warranty is now expired, and just more than a year had passed since the repair last April.) Anyway - service manager said the repair has a 24 month warranty. :thumbsup: Makes me wonder if that's just a fuel strip 'goodwill' warranty or what? Was thinking a year warranty would be normal.

When I ran my '07's tank all the way down, it took 6.5 gals US. (Assuming that the station's pump was not "juiced".)

Likely, you ran the GAUGE all the way down, not the tank. Which is why you were a gallon short of true capacity. That's the main point I was trying to make.

-MKL

I ran the tank all the way down such that the engine quit. I had two aluminum fuel bottles with me to get to the gas station. The two bottles gave me 0.4 gallons. Pumped 6.1 gals at the station (station was two miles away). My experience confirms to me what was posted earlier. Usable is around 6.5 gal US. Usable includes reserve.

Likely, you ran the GAUGE all the way down, not the tank. Which is why you were a gallon short of true capacity. That's the main point I was trying to make.

-MKL

I believe the true capacity is 6.6 gallons. When he ran it dry, it held 6.5 gallons, which means .1 gallon isn't usable.

Al-

Above is quoted from BMW's website - 6.6g tank + 1g reserve....

-MKL

Moshe,

The BMW Motorad site ( Link ) says: "Usable Tank Volume" 6.6 gallons. Generally that includes the 1 gallon reserve after the light goes on. I recall on my 1150RT, that is the same way they worded it. So, let your bike run out of gas, and then fill it. Problem is, that can damage the fuel pump.

Also, here is a pdf from BMW of Detroit about the 2010 12RT where it says "Fuel capacity = 6.6 gallons, including 1 gallon reserve" ( Link )

Moshe,

Also, Krowbar's second post said he ran out of gas so that the engine quit running, and he was able to add 6.5 gallons which is close to the usable 6.6 gallons on the BMW specs. I feel pretty confident that the 6.6 gallons includes the reserve.

One point of clarification. When I ran out of gas, I did NOT try tipping the bike side to side to get any last bit if gas to the pickup/pump. maybe that's why I came in at 6.5 and not 6.6 gals. That's about a cup and a half of gas.

Jeez, info is all over the place. This site http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/24565/Buyers-Guide-Specifications/2009-BMW-R1200RT.aspx lists capacity @ 7.1g, including 1 gallon reserve. I specifically remember that capacity on the R1200RT was more than the R1150RT I had, which itself was 6.6g total.

-MKL

I saw that, and concluded that it probably holds 7.1 gallons of which 6.6 gal is usable, which includes the 1 gal reserve.

Doh! Guess who ran out of gas today, and had to push the RT a mile to the gas station. I don't think I'll need another workout for... life! I had 20 miles after ----- reading to empty. Last time, I put on more than double that and still had some gas left. I guess the fuel economy really varies enough to make that much of a difference...

-MKL

Can't say for sure - my wife brought a can full of fuel to bail me out. Can't say how much was in it - less than a gallon but more than half, and I still put 6g in her at the station...

-MKL

To digress a tad...

The faulty fuel strip issue seems to be a fairly common problem based upon this (and other) threads.

With my '05 RT, the fuel gauge starting acting erratically close to the end of last year's riding season before I quit riding for the winter. Now, this season, the fuel gauge always shows full and the miles till empty varies up and down 4 or 5 miles, but still in the 300 range. A current visual inspection shows roughly 50% full.

Since this is a known, common problem, do we consumers have any recourse when dealing with BMWUSA management? I want it fixed, however $300 plus seems preposterous to me.

Yea, I double-checked this and you are correct. Total capacity is 6.6 gal., 5.6 gal. before the "reserve" is tapped.

To digress a tad...

The faulty fuel strip issue seems to be a fairly common problem based upon this (and other) threads.

Since this is a known, common problem, do we consumers have any recourse when dealing with BMWUSA management? I want it fixed, however $300 plus seems preposterous to me.

Fortunately, mine was handled under warranty.

At this point it shows 185 miles to empty on a full tank. I've seen over 500 on a low-speed ride last year but normally should read around 300 miles. This is the first tank after the repair, wonder if this issue takes some time to correct. A tank or two or just a few more miles? I've only done 10-15 on the tank so far.

Any ideas/thoughts from those who have had this done?

This always happens to me when the battery has been disconnected. It appears to reset the computer and it has to re learn what your actual fuel consumption is. They probably disconnected the battery during the service. Ride it a bit more and it'll probably go back to normal after a tank of gas or so.

To digress a tad...

Fortunately, mine was handled under warranty.

At this point it shows 185 miles to empty on a full tank. I've seen over 500 on a low-speed ride last year but normally should read around 300 miles. This is the first tank after the repair, wonder if this issue takes some time to correct. A tank or two or just a few more miles? I've only done 10-15 on the tank so far.

Any ideas/thoughts from those who have had this done?

I made a phone call to my (know-it-all) BMW Service Manager. I described the symptoms described above and he told me that BMW is aware of the problem with fuel strips going bad. Acording to him, it's caused by the increase of alcohol in today's fuel mixture which the '05 RT fuel strips were not designed to handle. Supposedly, this alcohol causes premature failure due to the deterioration.

This service manager quoted me a price of ~$450 labor & parts to repair. Due to the age of my bike, I should not expect any special consideration from BMW.

Comments?

... I should not expect any special consideration from BMW.

Typically, don't expect BMW to be nice to you. However, if you are a good customer and you can get your dealer to go to bat for you, you might get some kind of break on parts or the repair.

If you have the fuel guage strip replaced and the bike is out of warranty, how long is the fuel strip still under "repair warranty" if further problems develope? Is there a new and improved fuel strip that is immune to alcohol in the gas?

If you have the fuel guage strip replaced and the bike is out of warranty, how long is the fuel strip still under "repair for warranty" if further problems develope? Is there a new and improved fuel strip that is immune to alcohol in the gas?

A previous poster said repairs of that nature come with qa 24 month warranty. Personally, I find that hard to beleive. Mine was replaced a month ago. I will look up the paperwork and let you know.

Aren't there any gas stations in your area sell ethynol free gas?

Indy Dave

If you have the fuel guage strip replaced and the bike is out of warranty, how long is the fuel strip still under "repair for warranty" if further problems develope? Is there a new and improved fuel strip that is immune to alcohol in the gas?

A previous poster said repairs of that nature come with qa 24 month warranty. Personally, I find that hard to beleive. Mine was replaced a month ago. I will look up the paperwork and let you know.

Aren't there any gas stations in your area sell ethynol free gas?

I think I'm that poster - here's what I can offer:

I bought a used 06 RT from a individual that had only been serviced at a BMW dealer - PM's, tires, brakes, aux light mounts, etc. Bike and dealer were/are in NC, I live in IN.

The only service/repair (so far) that I've had the bike at MY dealer in Indiana for was the fuel strip issue. This was last April while the bike was still under factory warranty.

About 2 weeks ago, the gauge began acting up again and has now stopped working all together. I called my dealer to inquire about a repair and/or warranty repair. Turns out it failed exactly and year and 8 days from the origional repair date [bike is now out of factory warranty].

Not to worry the service department said, the repair has a 2 year warranty - let us know when you want to bring it in. :thumbsup:

YMMV

I doubt if BMW is going to help me out on this fuel strip problem because I already have 3 strikes against me:

1. BMW's negative mindset (IMveryHO)

2. The warranty has obviously expired on my '05 RT

3. I only have 4,388 miles on the bike due to a non-related shoulder injury and my inability to ride comfortably as much as I'd like. Because of the low miles and not feeling up to it, I openly confess to being negligent regarding not having all of the factory service performed; I change the oil/filter often, but that's about it. <-- unforgivable, I know.

Well, with those few miles, there isn't likely to be any maintenance that is past due, provided the break-in service was completed. Your oil & filter changes have about covered it.

I have no hard evidence of this, but am suspicious that those who remove the little black insert from the tank filler neck may be setting themselves up for damaging the fuel sensor strip. Maybe the purpose of that insert is to help ensure that the fuel blast from the nozzle does not get directed at that fragile strip.

I wouldn't bet a lot of money on the Truth of my theory, but it has some plausibility. I did not remove the black thingy on my '05 RT and still have my original working strip. (Yeah, I know - a study of one...)

Jay

99Roadster

The insert on my RT has never been removed and has seen three replacement strips.

The ethanol fuel theory seems more likely to me since we have little idea of what that strip is made of except for measuring resistance. Besides, the strip is covered in a corrugated plastic sheath so I doubt they may related to the failures.

And yes, the last one was outside of the mfg. warranty but was well within the 24 month warranty from the previous replacement. I can only hope they fail within 24 months but have given up on any sort of accuracy it provides anyway.

There was a discussion on this site several months ago from someone who filled up the fuel tank on his RT from the opposite side than usual, then had the strip immediately fail. In retrospect the OP realized that this change in routine might have allowed the fuel blast to land right on the strip. The lack of a black bumper could make this even more likely.

It's a long stretch I know, and this is sounding more and more like nonsense, but this is the kind of think I think about on those long lonely interstate rides. Maybe I should start carrying my iPod...

Jay

...In retrospect the OP realized that this change in routine might have allowed the fuel blast to land right on the strip. The lack of a black bumper could make this even more likely.

It's a long stretch I know, and this is sounding more and more like nonsense, but this is the kind of think I think about on those long lonely interstate rides. Maybe I should start carrying my iPod...

~~~~~~~~~~looking.gif~~~~~~~~~~

"Nonsense", maybe not. I think my fuel strip failed 'cause I wasn't wearing my lucky underwear.

Archived