IGNORED

Big Sur

Mark Mayo

I just got back from a 750 mile, 2 day ride from Long Beach to Point Lobos and it was GREAT. I convinced a friend who owns a Ducati 848 superbike to rent a BMW R1200RT and he loved it. We invited a former student with a Honda 750 4 too. The ride was perfect in every way. We stayed and eat at the Big Sur Lodge which I would recommend. Even a spot of rain as we left Big Sur was fine.

If you want to arrange a ride somewhere (closer or farther) let me know and we can get to work on a ride.

mlmayo2@verizon.net

Mark

Here are some photos.

BigSurBikeTrip100.jpg

BigSurBikeTrip002.jpg

BigSurBikeTrip064R.jpg

BigSurBikeTrip056.jpg

BigSurBikeTrip091.jpg

BigSurBikeTrip065.jpg

Highway 1 between San Simeon and Point Lobos is one of the great rides in the USA, especially if you're lucky enough to catch it on a sunny day, without too many motor homes on the highway. Some of those cliffs, if you miss a curve fast enough, you won't even bounce on the way down. You're making me nostalgic.

Lucky guy. Glad you had fun and thanks for the fine pics. My brother lives in PG. I'll have think of an excuse to go see him.:)

We spent 5 of the best years of our life in Pacific Grove. Lovely little town; we could hear seals, and once saw a whale spout from our back yard. Up until the early 20th century, a fence with a gate separated PG from Monterey; the gate was closed at 9:00 p.m. to keep out the riff raff (or to prevent PG riff raff from returning from the fleshpots off Monterey).

I just got back from a 750 mile, 2 day ride from Long Beach to Point Lobos and it was GREAT.

It is hard to find more beauty than that section of the Pacific Coast.

Here is a great local tip for ya, the next time you make that ride up the coast.

Just as you get to Kirk Creek Campground, turn right and go up Nacimiento-Fergusson Road, it rocks. You can take it all the way into Fort Hunter Liggett, just have your License, registration and insurance card read to show at the entrance. Or, just ride up a few miles and enjoy a great view.

Here is a shot of the road

774246054_wHr6h-S.jpg

I just did the same ride from Orange County area to Big Sur about 3 weeks ago. The weather was good and it was sunny on the second day when we were returning. Beautiful scenary. It's one of my most favorite rides. I'm actually thinking about doing it again very soon...never gets old.

Archived