IGNORED

Aftermarket exhaust systems for 1200RT

FlyingW1200RT

FlyingW1200RT

I'm interested in learning what aftermarket exhaust systems you folks have installed on your RT's. I have an '08 1200RT and I am not happy with the stock, stuffed up, over muffled sounding pipes. I would like a system that I can actually hear at highway speeds and others can hear as well. A pedestrian actually stepped into the road in front of me recently because they didn't hear me approaching. I'm not looking to make my bike super loud, just more pleasing to the ear than it currently is.

Has anyone removed the catalytic(sp?) converter located below the engine? Are there reasons why it's not advisable?

Thanks in advance for your input.

I am pretty sure you can remove the cat as my dad has an R1150R which came stock with headers with no cat (was a special edition)

I bought an Stainless straight thru from Epcostainless.com. It's smaller than the stock RT1200. They made it after I sent em my stock RT1200 monster as an example. I have pics available if interested. I love it!

Are there reasons why it's not advisable?

Increases air pollution.

Increases the noise of the bike, irritating others and harming the reputation of our sport.

Mike my email is quintana1@bigbend.net Lemmee know where to send em chaparral. The sound is mellow like an early Triumph Bonneville. I needed some sound to alert the deer on the highways I was coming down the road. Lotsa deer fatalies here in West Texas. Stock muffler is stealthy!

CoarsegoldKid
A pedestrian actually stepped into the road in front of me recently because they didn't hear me approaching.

Pedestrians step in front of buses, and fire trucks too. Did you ask the pedestrian if they heard you or not?

I'm pleased with the Remus Hexacone on my ST. Nice mellow tone. I have the baffle out and it's not that much louder. Still doesn't sound like a Duc but it's better than sounding like a Singer Sewing machine!!

Just get some Screamin' Eagle pipes (I guess just one would work) and clamp it on. Everyone will run away from the sound and you'll be ultra safe!

....(side note) but Gee, I thought BMW rides had a better overall accident record than louder {Harley?) riders...may be it's something besides making more noise???? Oh well....

If it's loud enough the cops won't come after you because they'll think you're one big bad ass dude, albeit with a small penis.

Next up....unrestricted side pipes on all cars...then accidents will be a thing of the past. I'm off to mount a constant-on air horn on the Schwinn. Ya just can't be too careful.

I put a Stainetune slip on, and it sounds good to me. It is not too loud and it sounds more like a motorcycle. Some of you guys seem offended by someone doing something different. To each his own, but we are not talking about loud bikes here. Now the pollution argument is legit, but the sound police can relax.

Ron

What sounds nice and mellow to you may not be so to the next person. Ya going to check it out on the meter? See how much over stock it takes to get to just the "right" level to make it sound like a motorcycle? My comment is more on how making more noise makes you safer. Loud noises save lives...get the mufflers off those cars and live a longer life....COME ON PEOPLE, WAKE UP!!!!!!

You obviously haven't had the pleasure of riding in West Texas at night. It is suicidal to not make deer aware of a pending collision.

Firefight911
It is suicidal to not make deer aware of a pending collision.

Yeah, uhh, ok, good luck with that! You have a better chance with someone walking in front of you with a flag waving and a deer whistle in their mouth and a 20 piece brass band than with some notion of a loud pipes save lives mantra.

A better strategy perhaps?

Increases air pollution.

Increases the noise of the bike, irritating others and harming the reputation of our sport.

+1

...and it's illegal.

Quiet Rocks! Clean air is even better!

There's sound level, and sound quality. The Staintune slip-on is actually advertised as being *quieter* (lower dB) than stock. I've heard them, and they have a nice, aggressive tone, even though the actual volume is about the same.

Anyone hear the new Camheads? They seem to be much louder than my 2009. I'll have to get the old dB meter out and see for sure next time I have one side by side with my bike.

-MKL

CoarsegoldKid

I heard the camhead this morning in the dealers showroom. It did sound throaty.

Now my Ducati is load by my standards with it's Quat Exbox exhaust. No one complained this weekend.

I heard the camhead this morning in the dealers showroom. It did sound throaty.

Now my Ducati is load by my standards with it's Quat Exbox exhaust. No one complained this weekend.

I bet there was a deer (dear?) somewhere that was complaining...they just didn't chase you down to tell you.

You obviously haven't had the pleasure of riding in West Texas at night. It is suicidal to not make deer aware of a pending collision.

West Texas, right. It just so happens, that in northern Indiana and southern Michigan, people hell bent on suicide, are known to ride well muffled motor bikes directly into herds of deer - on purpose! This suicide by "noiselessness" is becoming all to common. May be some stimulus money, to have these people ride in West Texas, could lessen the herd population for you?

Increases air pollution.

:rofl:

I have an Akrapovic dual outlet (single can) exhaust on my 05 RT. Way to loud unbaffled, nice with baffles in, looks very cool and full Ti to boot.

Fran

I have a full Remus system on my GS and keep the baffle in. I haven't put it on the dyno, but it sure feels like it's got more 'punch' in the mid-range.

I've only heard good things from other people about the sound, as it's a bit throatier, but I'm not a red light throttle blipper, either. If people don't like the way it sounds, they fail to inform me.

Joe's Ducati sounds great, btw. I was behind him on numerous red-light/stop sign launches, and my main concern wasn't the sound of his exhaust, (which I never really noticed) but not losing his wheel when the road snapped left/right.

Increases air pollution.

I smell something and it ain't flowers.

If you were REALLY concerned about air pollution, you'd sell your bike and walk everywhere you go thus minimizing your "carbon footprint."

Tsk, tsk, tsk. The hypocrisy is painful.

Gee, I always thought that mufflers supressed noise. I wasn't aware that a straight thru muffler created unburned hydrocarbons AKA pollution!. I learn something every day!!

If you were REALLY concerned about air pollution, you'd sell your bike and walk everywhere you go thus minimizing your "carbon footprint." Tsk, tsk, tsk. The hypocrisy is painful.

What does this mean? That if someone is concerned with something, it's only valid if he takes the most extreme point of view possible?

A catalytic converter reduces pollution, period. That's what its primary purpose is - without it, a vehicle designed to work with one will produce more air pollution than if it was installed as designed. So suggesting that leaving it intact does not equate one with a tree hugging ultra environmentalist who must all of a sudden walk everywhere and live on granola, but rather someone who is doing the bare minimum as required by law. There's no hypocrisy there at all.

-MKL

Increases air pollution.

If you were REALLY concerned about air pollution, you'd sell your bike and walk everywhere you go thus minimizing your "carbon footprint."

Hey, personal attacks are not allowed. This post is out of line with the rules and intent of this board. Please apologize.

Increases air pollution.

Hey, personal attacks are not allowed. This post is out of line with the rules and intent of this board. Please apologize.

Or go to your room, :rofl:

You know when deer are startled they tend to run in the direction their facing they don't have a well thought out plan for escape. You're playing deer roulette. I like whispering by without them even knowing I was there.

:lurk:

If you were REALLY concerned about air pollution, you'd sell your bike and walk everywhere you go thus minimizing your "carbon footprint." Tsk, tsk, tsk. The hypocrisy is painful.

What does this mean? That if someone is concerned with something, it's only valid if he takes the most extreme point of view possible? -MKL

It means (and the point of the post is to point out the fact) that there are always those who are eager to inform you that your personal decisions don't live up to their own standards.

To Twisties: It's not an "attack," but rather an observation expressed through the use of sarcasm. There's nothing to apologize for.

For the record, my RT has the stock muffler on it and I have no intention of replacing it with an aftermarket one. However, the elitist snobbery I've seen displayed on this board regarding the use of aftermarket mufflers is troubling.

For those unaware of this, BMW Motorad is now selling aftermarket Arkapovic mufflers for nearly all models including the RT. This makes them neither criminals nor "knuckledraggers" and it certainly doesn't equate the users of these mufflers with Harleys and straight pipes (i.e., no mufflers at all).

A little tolerance on this subject would be a welcome change, in my view.

What does this mean? That if someone is concerned with something, it's only valid if he takes the most extreme point of view possible? -MKL

It means (and the point of the post is to point out the fact) that there are always those who are eager to inform you that your personal decisions don't live up to their own standards.

To Twisties: It's not an "attack," but rather an observation expressed through the use of sarcasm. There's nothing to apologize for.

For the record, my RT has the stock muffler on it and I have no intention of replacing it with an aftermarket one. However, the elitist snobbery I've seen displayed on this board regarding the use of aftermarket mufflers is troubling.

For those unaware of this, BMW Motorad is now selling aftermarket Arkapovic mufflers for nearly all models including the RT. This makes them neither criminals nor "knuckledraggers" and it certainly doesn't equate the users of these mufflers with Harleys and straight pipes (i.e., no mufflers at all).

Your living up to standards comment is only exceed by your own living up to your standard of too many posting their standards...do ya get it.

No body "REALLY" cares. If you believe what you are saying, than your most forceful sign in all of this would be to post nothing. By the way, couldn't care less what you think about anything. That isn't a slam, just a fact and applies to 99.9 percent of comments on this or any other board...people comment as a diversion...just like watching sports...it really doesn't matter who wins...its all just a diversion to anything meaningful in life.

Weld your muffler shut or take it all the way off...take the header off if you want...do it for those who want to talk about doing it.

well said :thumbsup:

While I had the muffler off my 2010 RT in order to repair a flat rear tire I couldn't help but start the bike with it off. It sounded kind of weird. I also wanted to know when the valve opened up but I couldn't see it and open the throttle at the same time.

I like for a bike to have a nice rumble to it but I'll keep the 2010 stock for a few years. Like someone else said on the ST1300 forum.. it's nice to slip into little towns at night and slip out with attracting the attention of the leo.

tsp

2010 R1200RT currently totally stock.

Hey, the OP asked a specific question, I provided specific reply. Of admittedly my own opion. One I belive am not alone in.

The OP was taking about removing both the muffler and the catalytic converter, so an increase in air pollution is involved.

ISFA hypocrisy, the only true way to negate our individual carbon foot prints is to commit suicide. And even that doesn’t take effect right away. But short of that, it doesn’t invalidate each of us doing our part in whatever way we can. Nor replying to a specific question on a motorcycle forum.

“Hypocrisy” means saying one thing and doing something different. As my BMW bike has the OEM exhaust and all pollution control systems on it and fully functional, I fail to see how my comment is hypocritical in context in the least.

We can preach the mantra of tolerance of others until we’re blue pipes in the face, but its not the motorcycling world / riding world we’re negatively impacting, it’s the non-riding population. And as a result they are negatively impacting us. It’s our responsibility for us to clean up our act, not for them to tolerate our act. WE ARE (the collective we) the problem, not them.

do not forget to give up your wood burning stove etc....Its all the choices one makes. Many are based cost. some are based on techincal knowedge many are not. A car that is burning oil or poorly tuned buring alot of fuel is it ok. Some states have inspection some do not. If one wants to run with out the proper exhuast system installed they are breaking the law, however the 1960 big block oil burning chevy is ok? I say make everyone walk....horses produce methane gas, turn off all power plants heavy industry, get rid of farm animals, or just do want makes sense...........ride

Joe Frickin' Friday

No hypocrisy. OP asked for reasons he might not want to remove cat and install louder exhaust, ken gave two reasons; it's up to the OP to decide whether those reasons are valuable to him.

A third would be that it's illegal to remove the cat, since it's original/stock emissions-control equipment. The odds of getting busted are slim, but the fines can hurt if you do get caught.

Increases air pollution.

Don't know about the pollution thing but I do agree with the noise. Keep the bikes quiet because it annoys the hell out of people. There are already enough rude bikers out on the road who don't care about anybody but themselves so why join the crowd.

Grumpy-ol-Fart

Hey Gar, wood burning is carbon neutral. All of the carbon contained in the cellulose (wood) was drawn from the atmosphere by the tree as it was growing. Burning simply releases the carbon back to the atmosphere...I ani't giving up my wood burning stove; but I am going to leave the entire stock exhaust system intact...

We can preach the mantra of tolerance of others until we’re blue pipes in the face, but its not the motorcycling world / riding world we’re negatively impacting, it’s the non-riding population. And as a result they are negatively impacting us. It’s our responsibility for us to clean up our act, not for them to tolerate our act. WE ARE (the collective we) the problem, not them.

Ken,

I understand your reasoning and your valid concerns, but I think the approach is ill-advised. Why? Because history has proven time and again that compromising away personal choices/liberties, rather than leading to the desired effect, more often than not leads to further restrictions.

Ken,

I understand your reasoning and your valid concerns, but I think the approach is ill-advised. Why? Because history has proven time and again that compromising away personal choices/liberties, rather than leading to the desired effect, more often than not leads to further restrictions.

I'm missing something here. Isn't the idea not to give up cyclist's liberties, but to have them violate what laws there are to foul the air with carbon and disruptive sound? History shows most of those who go the non-stock route, do so without attempting to comply with any acceptable standard, for noise limits or pollution levels. Ever see anyone do volunteer testing of their changes to a bikes exhaust system, making sure it is in compliance....I think not.

I'm missing something here.

Exactly. You ARE missing something here.

I don't know what you're talking about, but we/I am talking about "street legal" aftermarket mufflers that are, in fact, legal in all but the most restrictive of venues (possibly where you live).

Your "logic" that all aftermarket exhaust systems are a bad thing because "most of those who go the non-stock route, do so without attempting to comply with any acceptable standard" could be used as an argument to ban motor vehicles altogether because it could be said that most don't attempt to comply with traffic laws while operating their vehicles. However, based on what I observed during my long career in law enforcement, I can state with some authority that both claims are wrong and stating them as fact doesn't make them any less so. Most do comply with laws and most who use aftermarket mufflers, like the Arkapovic mufflers sold by BMW Motorad and others, do so while being perfectly within the law.

People having no interest in and/or not liking aftermarket systems is all well and good. Those who advocate preventing others from buying and using these same systems because it "annoys" them? Well, I say that's just too damned bad for them. I suspect these people would be happier living somewhere where its citizens have already squandered away their personal freedoms.

Fortunately, in the United States, we still have the freedom of choice in this and many other things. That's a good thing in my book even if it means I have to endure a few annoyances in my life.

I don't know what you're talking about, but we/I am talking about "street legal" aftermarket mufflers that are, in fact, legal in all but the most restrictive of venues (possibly where you live).

Your "logic" that all aftermarket exhaust systems are a bad thing because "most of those who go the non-stock route, do so without attempting to comply with any acceptable standard" could be used as an argument to ban motor vehicles altogether because it could be said that most don't attempt to comply with traffic laws while operating their vehicles. However, based on what I observed during my long career in law enforcement, I can state with some authority that both claims are wrong and stating them as fact doesn't make them any less so. Most do comply with laws and most who use aftermarket mufflers, like the Arkapovic mufflers sold by BMW Motorad and others, do so while being perfectly within the law.

People having no interest in and/or not liking aftermarket systems is all well and good. Those who advocate preventing others from buying and using these same systems because it "annoys" them? Well, I say that's just too damned bad for them. I suspect these people would be happier living somewhere where its citizens have already squandered away their personal freedoms.

Fortunately, in the United States, we still have the freedom of choice in this and many other things. That's a good thing in my book even if it means I have to endure a few annoyances in my life.

Holy Cow...you really take this stuff seriously. I just enjoy the "sky is falling" mentality of it all. That "we" term you are so loosely using, the one regarding street legal mufflers. You need to start reading the branding on those pipes, perhaps again? Most aren't the "legal" type.

As a few others have pointed out, you don't need to be on the extreme edge to make a point or offer an opinion. What is it that conjures up the most extreme aspects in explaining your plight?

I know, first they take your God given right to the muffler of your choice and then they came for your children. Well, don't squandered your personal freedoms on too small a war. Perhaps lobbying on the part of some group pushing for more noise and pollution can keep those anti-freedom mongers in check. I would have thought all those LONG years in law enforcement would have diluted that "extreme" aspect...shows what I know.

BRAVO! Also Mufflers don't pollute, ever!

Noise pollution! And if you are changing the exhaust system air pollution is easily changed.

Holy Cow...you really take this stuff seriously. I just enjoy the "sky is falling" mentality of it all. That "we" term you are so loosely using, the one regarding street legal mufflers. You need to start reading the branding on those pipes, perhaps again? Most aren't the "legal" type.

As a few others have pointed out, you don't need to be on the extreme edge to make a point or offer an opinion. What is it that conjures up the most extreme aspects in explaining your plight?

I know, first they take your God given right to the muffler of your choice and then they came for your children. Well, don't squandered your personal freedoms on too small a war. Perhaps lobbying on the part of some group pushing for more noise and pollution can keep those anti-freedom mongers in check. I would have thought all those LONG years in law enforcement would have diluted that "extreme" aspect...shows what I know.

From your previous posts, I can't say I'm too surprised at your head in the sand attitude. Also, incorrect personal assumptions seem to be your forte. Shows what you know indeed!

Have a nice, "quiet" day.

Grumpy-ol-Fart

Geeze, and I thought I was a little red-neck.

This direct from the EPA web site:

"Under federal law, catalytic converters may not be removed and replaced with "converter replacement pipes' by any person. The 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments even prohibit private individuals from installing "converter replacement pipes" on their own vehicles. Anyone who installs such pipes would violate section 203(a)(3)(A) and (B) of the Clean Air Act (Act).

In addition to federal law, forty-five out of the fifty States also have statutes or regulations which prohibit tampering with the pollution control equipment on motor vehicles or driving or selling such vehicles. Thus, vehicle owners who tamper with their own vehicles may be subject to substantial penalties under both federal and State law.

The only circumstances in which a person would be allowed to remove a converter is if the vehicle is being shipped overseas to an area where unleaded gasoline is not generally available. (Vehicles traveling to Canada or Mexico are not; eligible for this exemption.) In this instance the vehicle owner must have a letter from the EPA specifically authorizing the converter removal from the vehicle in question."

So never mind that the gist of this entire discussion hinges on first making your bike illegal in every state in the US, we do indeed have the right to do whatever the hell we want because we live in America. I’m veteran, served in the 7th SFG at Ft Bragg…I contributed to all citizens having the rights as so clearly elaborated by XTrooper.

Somewhere in my lifetime values shifted from a community of citizens in America who strived to be good neighbors to one and all, to an enclave of individuals who largely have no regard for the other members of the community. What about my right to not want to have my ears assaulted by the nearly obscene noise of un-muffled vehicles? If I as a long time biker roll up my car windows every time one of these individuals who have exercised their right to aurally pollute the world I have to occupy; how much more must the general public be offended by these rebel citizens? But by all means, don’t consider us, go right ahead and do as you please, you indeed have that right.

My bike is legal, read into it what you want. I don’t ride with anyone who has rendered their bike illegal in exercising their right to do so. That largely means I ride alone, but better that than be found guilty by association of disregarding other citizens right peace and quiet…

Joe Frickin' Friday
BRAVO! Also Mufflers don't pollute, ever!

Apart from the muffler, the OP inquired about removing the cat.

Archived