IGNORED

Along Lake Erie?

Albert

I have to run up to Michigan next week on business and am planning to ride. Normally I just ride up the OH turnpike but I'll have plenty of time to get there so I was thinking of jumping up to route 2 or 6 along the lake for a while. I'm thinking maybe from around Avon Lake to Toledo. Anyone know if that's worth the extra time? It will be a weekday which might reduce the traffic around the lake. Appreciate any info.

Al,

I have only been through the areas from about Sandusky, West and up through Michigan. You might try taking 6 to just West of Huron where you can pickup 2. Route 2 is more of a highway with 6 being mostly two-lane. Route 2 runs through the Sandusky Bay, which is more scenic. Heading towards Toledo is as flat as flat can be. Sometimes busy with Cedar Point tourists, the Sandusky area is far less congested than Cleveland where I wouldn't ever consider touring on a bike. Although not being the most scenic in Ohio it sure beats the Turnpike, which can sometimes be downright frightening.

Be cautious going through Toledo. Not sure why but they don't seem to know how to react to motorcycles on the highway in that area.

Route 2 turns into a two-lane road past Port Clinton. You can then get back on 280 or make your way toward 23/223, which is nice. As you probably know, once you get past Toledo it opens back up quickly into Michigan.

I'm close to the Turnpike near the I-271 intersect if you need anything.

Have a safe trip.

Tom

Archived