IGNORED

Hall Sensor

DonSydney

Mate of mine here in Oz has a 3 x mid 80's R series. Each of them at various stages has thrown Hall Sensors. I'm sure I read somewhere of a replacement item which is the same as the OEM, but much less cost. Anyone know what I'm talking about ?

Cheers

Don

Paul Mihalka

You will have to define better the motorcycle model. If it is a 198x airhead, they did not have a separate Hall sensor but a ignition control unit attached directly to the camshaft. Failure was extremely rare, but anything can fail in 30 years.

The '80's beemers have a Hall effect sensor inside the "bean can". These can go bad but it is rather rare. If you do want to do a rebuild of the bean can you can obtain the replacement Hall effect sensor from Newark Electronics. The Hall Effect sensor in the 'bean can' is available from Newark Electronics, the original Honeywell part number is : 2AV54, Newark part number : 96F1986 . Cost for a single sensor is about $14, plus about $7 shipping. I know of a couple of guys who have rebuilt the bean can on their R65's.

Archived