IGNORED

R1200RT Service Schedule - no oil changes at 6,000 miles?

SWB

Oh yeah.. first thing in everybody's head is "Oh no, here we go again."

I'm "overdue" for my 6K mile (54K mile) service by a few hundred miles, so I pull open the service bulletin and check the gear box and oil change intervals. I "know" that they're every 6,000 miles. In fact, the bulletin's are listed as "6K" and "12K" on the A&S BMW web links.

However, when I actually read the bulletin's, I see:

• 6K mile service is described as 10,000 km initially, then 20,000 km there-after, or in English terms, first 6,000 miles, then every 12,000 miles after.
  • 12k mile service is described as "every 20,000 km", or every 12,427 miles.
  • Gearbox oil change is set at "every 40,000 km", or about every 25,000 miles

So, it doesn't look like BMW prescribes an actual 6,000 mile service interval except for the first service. Engine oil changes after that would be at (miles) 18k, 30k, 42k, 54k, 66k, etc., and gear box fluid changes would be at 24k, 48k, 70k.

Hmmmmm. I'm one of those guys who don't mind investing in a few extra dollars in service to extend the life of the bike and components. However, I had it in my mind to change engine and gear fluids every 6,000 miles, but in view of BMW's recommendations, that's a LOT more service that is required, particularly for the transmission. I haven't mentioned the final drive, but would expect it to follow the same schedule as the gear box (i.e. the schedules don't list a final drive service and I'm aware that BMW changes this retroactive from 2007 on).

How many guys follow BMW's schedule strictly, or moreover, how many trot their bike into their local dealer for the "recommended" 12,000 mile service, without being told "hey, ya know, the book says 12,000 miles but you really should consider it a 6,000 mile interval .. and get it in here every 6,000 miles"?

By the way, my bike is an R1200RT, serviced by BMW until 42K miles, when I liberated it from a life of pampered dealer servicing. :grin:

I know the other threads that usually spawn of this subject, e.g. dino versus syn versus super-syn oils, etc. I run synthetics.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, the last service document I have for the 1200 (dated 9/2009) shows engine oil + filter annually or every 10,000Km.. Transmission every 2 years or 40,000 Km,, final drive every 2 years or 20,000 Km..

Personally I do the engine oil pretty close to schedule but it also depends on if I have the bike on my lift table for something else.. If I have 5000 on the oil & have the bike on the lift I would probably just go ahead & do it.. Same with close to season end,, if I have 6000 on the oil but know I will be doing the season end service in a few weeks or month I would probably just wait & do the post season oil change at longer than the 6000 miles.

On the trans,, I like to do that yearly & usually at season end or when I have the tupperware off for some other reason.. No sense in removing the tupperware twice in a short time..

On the final drive I just do that at every rear tire change time as I already have the bike up & the rear wheel removed..

Twisty

SWB, if I understood your post correctly it suggests to me that you're misinterpreting the BMW maintenance schedules. BMW calls for some sort of service every 10,000 kms (and that includes oil/filter change). It's just that one type of service is required at the 10,000 km, 30,000 km and 50,000 km marks etc., while another type of service is required at the 20,000 km, 40,000 km and 60,000 km intervals and so on. The two different services alternate every 10,000 kms (going by memory here, but I think one is called a "service" and the other is called an "inspection"). In addition, as you've noted some specific procedures are at longer intervals (time or kilometres, e.g., brake flushes).

I'm with Mark on this one. But, when I first read what you did I too was confused at first. This is how it goes.

6,000 miles you do a 6,000 mile service.

12,000 miles you do a 12,000 mile service.

18,000 miles you do a 6,000 mile service.

24,000 miles you do a 12,000 mile service.

The 6,000 mile service items are included in the 12,000 mile service. Just look at what is required at the two different types of services and you will see what I mean.

If they didn't name the service with a mileage number it wouldn't be so confusing.

How about at 6,000 miles do service items A, B, C

At 12,000 miles do A, B, C, and X, Y, Z

At 18,000 miles do A, B, C

At 24,000 miles do A, B, C, and X, Y, Z

Well, it may be my interpretation or it might be that the service schedule on A&S is outdated, but the only service that indicated 6,000 Miles is:

http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceSchedules/R1200RT_6K.pdf

It states: "initially at 10,000 km, then every 20,000 km"

6k.png

There's nothing that says "every 10,000 km" anywhere, on any of the schedules that I can see, though I agree with you all that 6,000 mile oil changes seem consistent with the R1100RT service schedule I'm used to in the past.

Maybe it's the auf Deutsche translation I'm mistaken on, e.g. "10,000 km AND/OR 20,000 km".

Thanks all.

Scott

Scott, I get the feeling there are more service sheets that go with the one you have posted as no brake bleed shown or other maintenance..

Get your dealer to print you out the latest service intervals (the one I currently have is dated 9/09.. I see the one you posted is real old at 9/2006..

Twisty

Scott,

The following service schedules are online at A&S for the R1200-RT:

BMW R1200RT 12K+ANNUAL motorcycle service schedule

BMW R1200RT 12K motorcycle service schedule

BMW R1200RT 600 motorcycle service schedule

BMW R1200RT 6K+ANNUAL motorcycle service schedule

BMW R1200RT 6K motorcycle service schedule

BMW R1200RT ANNUAL motorcycle service schedule

First there is the 600 mile service.

Then there is the 6K service which is performed at 6K, then every additional 12K. So 6K, 18K, 30K, etc...

Then there is the 12K service which is performed at 12K then every additional 12K. So 12K, 24K, 36K, etc....

Then the Annual service which is performed yearly. This service can be combined with either the 6K or 12K service if the timing lines up.

Since oil changes are specified for both the 6K service and the 12K service, the specified oil change interval is every 6K miles.

My dealer told me the trans fluid was to be changed at 2 years or 24K miles which ever comes first. I thought it should have been changed at the 12K service.

My dealer told me the trans fluid was to be changed at 2 years or 24K miles which ever comes first. I thought it should have been changed at the 12K service.

T Man, my latest official BMW service sheet shows the trans at 2 years or 40,000Km.. That is dated 9/2009.. Ask your dealer what the date is on the service schedule he is quoting from.. If later than 9/09 maybe there is ANOTHER change from BMW..

In any case with so much controversy about the different service intervals just have your dealer input YOUR bike’s serial number & get a specific service interval print out for your particular bike..

Or just change the trans fluid in your bike every year (only holds about a quart) so no big deal & that way you can see what is happening in your trans..

Twisty

SWB, you're correct to a point, but you only have part of the puzzle. As a number of us have said, there is a BMW "Service" at the 10,000 km point (and you've posted that schedule above). But, in addition, there is a BMW "Inspection" at the 20,000 km point. These two procedures -- Service and Inspection -- alternate every 10,000 kms. So it goes like this:

BMW Service at 10,000 km;

BMW Inspection at 20,000 km;

BMW Service at 30,000 km;

BMW Inspection at 40,000 km;

BMW Service at 50,000 km;

BMW Inspection at 60,000 km........

These two procedures continue to alternate every 10,000 km for the life of the bike. Truth be told, there's not a whole hell of a lot of difference between the two procedures. Each calls for an oil & filter change, so that's where the oil/filter change interval of every 10,000 km comes from. Similarly, each calls for a valve adjustment and a check of the throttle body sync. The air filter is changed only during an "Inspection", so that means every 20,000 km.

As pointed out by SageRider, if you don't ride sufficient kilometres in a year to hit the Service, or Inspection intervals, BMW calls for an "Annual" Inspection (essentially a fluid change, along with the usual tire and light checks, but no valve check, or throttle body sync). The Annual Inspection is also where you will find the schedule for brake flushes.

The maintenance schedules made available online by dealers like A&S are handy, but they're often out of date. The latest hard-copy version of the BMW Service that I have is dated 03/2008; the latest version of the BMW Inspection that I have is dated 02/2009; and the latest version of the Annual Inspection I have is dated 09/2009. Your dealer may have more up-to-date versions still.

Mark, you have a very good point.. The one I have is called the “BMW Motorrad Maintenance Schedule” (09/2009) & it seems to combine all on one sheet..

That maintenance schedule is directly out of the BMW dealer computer & does differ in quite a few ways from the maintenance schedule(s) in the latest RepRom I have.. Looks like even BMWNA doesn’t have clue..

Twisty

I wish someone in our large group would never change any fluids on their R1200RT and let us know what happens. May be this is a first small step in that process. Don't change your crankcase oil again and let us know what happens.

I wish someone in our large group would never change any fluids on their R1200RT and let us know what happens. May be this is a first small step in that process. Don't change your crankcase oil again and let us know what happens.

You first!!!

Twisty,

Isn't it still mileage, and/or time?

Mileage dictates some things and time others.

A rider who rides 6k per year will have to do different

things at his 12k service after 2 years than a rider who rides 24k per year will because the rider putting more miles on will cross mileage intervals before calendar intervals.

Tim, yes it is either a mileage & or a time thing.. That is pretty well spelled out in the maintenance schedule.. Like oil & filter = ANNUALLY or every 10,000 Km ,, trans every 2 years or 40,000 Km..

Twisty

Thanks all. Everything I've heard syncs with what I thought. An extra $30 for syn oil every 6K miles is pretty cheap insurance for a very well made piece of machinery.

I've always been of the "change it often" perspective, but I recognize that this approach is at odds with the science.

I wonder if BMW will increase the oil change interval for its motorcycles at some point--they now recommend an oil change only every 15,000 miles for their new cars!

I've always been of the "change it often" perspective, but I recognize that this approach is at odds with the science.

I wonder if BMW will increase the oil change interval for its motorcycles at some point--they now recommend an oil change only every 15,000 miles for their new cars!

My BMW x5, the last German vehicle I purchased, used 1qt of oil every 1k miles. BMW considered this "acceptable." So the 15k interval isn't really so large when you are replacing 1/4 of the oil with fresh stuff every 1k miles. :-)

To be fair, the 328Ci I had before that was flawless.

You first!!!

Gee Frank, I thought you'd go first.

• 11 months later...

Well.... that being said... I run Amsoil in my 05 R1200RT and just changed the final drive oil for the 1st time (at 55,000 miles) since being serviced by the dealer at the initial 600 mile service. The drive as yet shows no wear. I do a full oil change about every two years with a filter change and oil top off every 6,000 miles I average 12,000 a year. I have changed my transmission oil once (last year) after the initial install of Amsoil after my first 20,000 miles. The bike runs beautifully... and shows no signs of wear... I always check for shavings when I change oil and as yet have found nothing.

My performance is not indicative of your performance... I was a mechanic in a former life and my own personal (note word personal) opinion is that the service / inspection interval on motorcycles is a bit excessive...

Soooo all that being said... change your fluid's when you feel comfortable changing them... either follow the recommended service intervals or run some oil then do oil analysis to see if it really does break down or become too filthy losing its ability to lubricate the engine after 6,000 miles or after 12 months. Of course dino and synthetic are two totally different animals.

Archived