IGNORED

Nomenclature..."HOON"

FREEBEE

I have noticed frequent the use of the "HOON".

Curiosity had it's way with me, as I looked it up.

It would appear the the word is used as a description of someone who operates a motor vehicle in an unsafe manner. confused.gif

The use of the word (on BMWST) seems to be a term of endearment or a description of another rider, for the most part.

Is there another definition?

I checked the FAQ's..No luck

Just wondering

ShovelStrokeEd

Been discussed many times before.

Unsafe is perhaps a harsh word in the context that Hoon is used here. Let us just say it is someone who displays an 'enthusiastic' riding style in keeping with the conditions of the road and the group or lack of group, feelings.

Hoons have been known to utter such things as "Wheeeeee, Yeeeessss, Now we're talkin," and similar terms indicating a mild pleasure in the ongoing sensations.

They may often be found, when not engaging in their favorite passtime, in the vicinity of victuals and intoxicating beverages and much of their conversation seems to punctuated by large hand gestures.

It is advisable to avoid their company as hoonish behavior seems to be catching and one soon finds oneself acting in similar fashion to the horror of spousal units and offspring. Oddly enough, the younger the offspring the more they seem to approve.

...have been known to utter such things as "Wheeeeee, Yeeeessss, Now we're talkin,"...

Or my personal favorite, "I'm going to have to pass this guy."

"But there's no room, and it's a double yellow."

"Yes, I know, see you later..."

It is advisable to avoid their company as hoonish behavior seems to be catching and one soon finds oneself acting in similar fashion to the horror of spousal units and offspring. Oddly enough, the younger the offspring the more they seem to approve.

Ha ha ha clap.gif I love it Ed...

Hoons have been known to utter such things as "Wheeeeee, Yeeeessss, Now we're talkin," and similar terms indicating a mild pleasure in the ongoing sensations.

They may often be found, when not engaging in their favorite passtime, in the vicinity of victuals and intoxicating beverages and much of their conversation seems to punctuated by large hand gestures.

Oh my! I'm a hoon!

..."But there's no room, and it's a double yellow."

I always thought that the 'double yellow' was the Hoon passing lane. wink.gifwink.gif

Regards,

Mike O

Hoons know better, but they do it anyway. They have the experience and skill to pull it off. A squid has neither the skill not experience to pull it off, and he (or she) generally doesn't for very long.

Dennis Andress

A squid rides to impress and looks irresponsible.

A hoon rides responsibly and looks impressive.

In short, a hoon is a squid with a mortgage!

Joe Frickin' Friday

I posted this a while back regarding hoon/squid:

Hoon vs. squid

I'd like to think there are some reasons behind the hoon=good/squid=bad dichotomy.

IMHO:

A hoon believes in the PACE philosophy when riding the streets; a squid, in the same venue, believes every ride is a race.

A hoon will buy track time in order to really test the limits of rider and machine; a squid will not hesitate to ride track-style on public roads.

A hoon will give much consideration to safety gear, and can generally be counted on to wear at least the minimum MSF-recommended gear (but generally more). A squid, as has been mentioned, will buy a race-replica helmet if the law requires it, but generally won't buy one if not; beyond that, a tank top, shorts, and some kinda slip-on footwear will suffice.

A hoon will ride for extended periods at the bike's drag-limited top speed in unpopulated areas, and rides at or below the posted speed limit in populated areas. A squid eschews unpopulated areas altogether, and generally travels at or beyond highway speeds when moving through populated areas.

A hoon tries to ride well; a squid tries to ride fast.

A hoon doesn't need an audience in order to enjoy his ride; a squid does.

A hoon stands a good chance of living to pay off his mortgage; a squid tends not to live long enough to pay off his bike.

Anyone else want to add on?

Dennis Andress
Is it possible that a hoon is/was a squid who, having been touched by the finger of god, has managed to change their ways?

He smacked me to the ground hard....

A squid rides to impress and looks irresponsible.

A hoon rides responsibly and looks impressive.

Just to be obnoxious...

A hoon is me riding too fast.

A squid is someone else riding too fast.

ShovelStrokeEd

I'll bite, too fast for what?

Arbitrary speed limits?

Your opinion?

I have observed a whole bunch of hoons riding in various parts of the country over some technically challenging roads. None seemed to be riding too fast to me. Every one seemed in control of his/her machine with good lines and plenty of margin for the unexpected.

I always thought that the 'double yellow' was the Hoon passing lane.

Probably not in the US...but a few years ago, in the Austrian Alps, near the Gross Glockner, I observed Austrian sport bike riders literally doing that...passing on two lane roads on the yellow line, in the face of oncoming traffic. Both same-direction and oncoming cars would yield a little extra space to let the bikes do their thing.

The riding and driving skills of the Austrians in general struck me as being several notches above what we see on average here in the US.

I believe Ed has hit the nail on the head. This is EXACTLY the defining difference between a hoon and squid:

...plenty of margin for the unexpected.

Squids and Hoons can be found on any kind of conveyance, by the way, they are not limited to motorcycles. They can be found in cars, trucks, tractor-trailer rigs, skateboards, bicycles, skis, boats, airplanes, etc. As stated before, it's a brutally Darwinian world out there and the squids rarely last long.

I often ride hoonishly. I sometimes ride as if I'm a hoon errant. I wear a hoon's clothing and ride a hoon's mount, but I'm not really a Hoon. A journeyman hoon at best. A hoon wannabe (or is that Hoonabe?). I think Hoon is a title that only other Hoons can be-hoon upon you. I could be wrong.

Will the Unholy Order of Hoons please identify themselves? We know what Hoons are. Who among you are Hoons?

And: Is this anything like the Dead Squids Society?

Archived