IGNORED

-P owners attn. please

ratfink

I am going out on a limb here and asking RT-P owners to join me in posting pics of their bikes. Hopefully this will become an archive-sticky or category and new owners can view and post as the groundswell continues.

Loyal Langlitz customer since the seventies (no affiliation):

KIF_0639.jpg

My son and a dual seat:

KIF_0595.jpg

Rode it to the Christmas party:

KIF_1025.jpg

At stonehenge replica on the way to Hell's Canyon Rally:

matfishaudfun018.jpg

Springtime in the Cascades:

coldwaterbmw.jpg

roughwaterjohn

Great idea, thanks for starting this. :thumbsup:

Here's my '01. No on the road shots yet, as I'm usually having too much fun to stop and take pictures. soon though!

460.jpg

P1010463.jpg

P1010461.jpg

A bit of trivia. The addition of the white side panel above the valve covers generally but not always indicates the -P is of CHP origin. Without the white panel, it's from another agency. CHP also used an off-white shade of white where other -P's came with a brighter shade of white.

Further evidence of CHP ownership is the vehicle number visible on the frame under the plastic triangle side cover.

The small LED indicator lights on the dash was a CHP exclusive feature.

A bit of trivia. The addition of the white side panel above the valve covers generally but not always indicates the -P is of CHP origin. Without the white panel, it's from another agency. CHP also used an off-white shade of white where other -P's came with a brighter shade of white.

Further evidence of CHP ownership is the vehicle number visible on the frame under the plastic triangle side cover.

The small LED indicator lights on the dash was a CHP exclusive feature.

Mine had all those features but was from Tustin Police Department (California), which I know for a fact because I had to track down the original title. However, as we both probably know, most of the bikes in California PD's were bought on the CHP lease, so I guess they came with the CHP prep. package. I would expect most bikes out of California came with that package. Loved that bike.

Interestingly enough, the white was the "Edleweiss" version, if I recall correctly, i.e. the brighter white. (Why someone in CHP would pick the dirty off-white, I have no clue.) I know this also, because mine came with a "restored" right mirror of a salvaged bike, i.e. it was the other color white. Kinda ticked me off - I purchased the bike from an unethical micro-dealer in L.A. via Ebay. He photoshopped the picture, and a lot of the defects weren't apparent until the deal was done and I was there to pick it up.

roughwaterjohn

Hey Bob, great info, thanks! Curiosity question for you. My bike doesn't have the white side panels, which makes sense because I was "told" that it came from a county agency. It does have a small red and a small yellow led light on the top center of the dash, above the gauges. They both light up, but the red one flickers with RPM. Any idea what they were for and what they're doing now? I'm sure what they were originally for has been disconnected, no telling what they're hooked to now.

Here's a "Big Foot" quality photo showing the lights. :eek:

P1010457.jpg

I have those LED's, Washington Stae Patrol bike.

I think what they indicatd varied by agency spec.

I use amber one to indicate my fog lights are on. The red one for the driving lights, even though it is already pretty obvious when the driving lights are on, usually.

roughwaterjohn

I think you were probably right on target. There were probably a lot of smaller agencies that copied the CHP after the fact, or former CHP bikes trickling down into smaller departments after their first retirement.

Great thread guys, keep it going. Love the looks of those bikes. When things straighten out some, that is what I want next, an RTP. Anyone seen a new 2010 in P dress?

Scott: Thanks for posting, great photo of a sweet bike.

Just curious, up here motors are not real prevalant and drivers seem pretty oblivious. I've thought that an officer could write tickets all day long without even pulling out a radar or laser gun. Do they pull the same crazy stunts even in your obvious presence?

Scott: Thanks for posting, great photo of a sweet bike.

Just curious, up here motors are not real prevalent and drivers seem pretty oblivious. I've thought that an officer could write tickets all day long without even pulling out a radar or laser gun. Do they pull the same crazy stunts even in your obvious presence?

Yes, cop bikes are just as invisible as civilian bikes. And yes, motorists give a motor officer a wide range of humorous, HUA and "what were you thinking" ticket writing options. The name of the game is enforcement detterence through unpredictablity. Drvers comply because they never know where a motor might be lurking.

I often associate speed enforcement with fishing.

Park at the edge of a road (next to a lake)

Pull out LIDAR/radar and wait (fishing pole)

Identify speeder (fish on the hook)

Pursue (reel fish in)

Citation (catch and release)

Like shooting fish in a barrel. Which of course also explains why "but you let that one get away!". "You always have to leave some fish for tomorrow!"

Bob thanks for posting your picture, beautiful paint job, and for the insightful comments. While a -p is more conspicuous, still have to ride like you're invisible.

Woodie: pls post some pics if u can.

my converted CHP M-9269 R1150rt-p 2004 the less -p the better as far I'm concered, I don't want to be a want-a-be or have some one think "I'm one of them" while I'm not! Paint is next as got on 16 Jan. 10 from the infamous Hollywood Motors but being in LA area saw in person was never on ebay so had pick of several. In Jan. 10 Hollywood Motors still had around 5-6 -p's, they said had around 50 at one time!

The CHP # is actually on both sides under black "V" panels in plain view.

about the only -p part that really that has to stay is the "U" shaped bracket under the engine that bolts to the side stand, every thing else all the wiring/switches went out to the dump. 65 lbs less with stock exhaust as I weighted all the junk. Sill havent figured out how to post photo's!

Hi dc 10bill:

Thanks for posting and not posing,

I use photobucket for posting pics. It's free. You upload the pics u want to a photobucket album and you can resize them. I normally use the large option.

Then find the Image (img.) code. copy and paste the code to your post. You can experiment on the thread in discussion board support.

• 3 weeks later...

Woodie:

Thanks for posting your pics. Did it take some custom camera settings for those pics with the lights on?

For the lights? I don't remember. Flash off (obviously), but I don't recall anything special. Maybe changed the exposure up/down a little, but nothing more than that.

Archived