IGNORED

Almost lost my Zumo 660 today

ArthurKnowles

ArthurKnowles

I was riding home and took a left off of I 10 to I 60 while listening to my MP3s and suddenly the music was gone. I looked down and didn't see the GPS. I thought my new GPS (bought for X-mas and just installed) was on the highway in a million pieces. It wasn't safe to stop, so I just continued on my way. Bummed, but not irate. About a mile or two from home, when I stopped at a stop sign I looked down and there it was lying face forward on the to the gas tank in the hollow where the top of gas tank to steering column occurs.

I'm wondering if this a one off occurance or if I need to put a tether on it for safe keeping?

Did it come out of the mounting bracket?

I'm not familiar with the 660, but I've never had that problem with the 550. I do always tighten the security screw, which I changed out for the one with the knurled knob so I don't have to use the little screwdriver.

Nice n Easy Rider

+1 on the security screw on the Zumo mount. If your mount doesn't have one I would get one that does. There's no fun in riding if you have to wonder if your GPS is going to arrive at the same destination and time you do.

xbubblehead
I do always tighten the security screw, which I changed out for the one with the knurled knob so I don't have to use the little screwdriver.

+2 on the knurled knob

RichEdwards

There is no security screw on the Zumo 660. Mine has never popped out of the mount and I think that yours may not have been properly "snapped in." I always insert it in the mount and then pull on it to make sure it is secure. Touratech makes a mount (about $120) that seems bullet-proof:

bracket_2a.jpg

The 660 goes in and out of it's mount so quick and nice that it's easy to not quite finish with it in completely. I have not had it come out, but I did notice it not in quite right once and since have gotten in the habit of putting it in, checking to make sure the pushbutton releases completely to the right, and then giving a little tug on the top corners. I pull mine at every stop where I cant' see the bike, so I'm getting pretty good at it.

I'm planning on the touratech mount though. Not so much for on the bike security, but for keeping it from walking away when I'm having lunch. My 550 was always in the bike until I stopped for the night. Never an issue. Pulling the 660 at every stop is a pain.

Where can you get the replacement knob for a Zumo550 mount?

I would like to replace mine as well, the little 'driver is a right PITA.

Any advice welcome

LeftCoastMan
I do always tighten the security screw, which I changed out for the one with the knurled knob so I don't have to use the little screwdriver.

Never knew this existed. Just ordered it!

Archived