IGNORED

My Kingdom for a Castle.......

Francois_Dumas

Francois_Dumas

... some famous man must have said this at some point in history..... or so the legend goes.

This week the weather forecasters announced us the remains of Rita and Phillipe.... and sure enough, today it is windy and raining. So I figured I'd better charge the old RT battery and get it running before it is too late.

But where to go? I think I've shown you just about everythi9ng around here.... ah! But wait ! Did I show you 'our castle' !?

I used to be a real castle freak.. when I was a kid I would draw castles and knights, battles and ruins..... Holland had some 2000 (known) castles.... we now areleft with a fair amount of castle ruins... frown.gif

But.. there are also quite a few castles left.. and restored in their old glory ! Due to the sinking soil this is a very expensive 'hobby'.... walls keep cracking open and some real engineering feats have been achieved to save some of the heritage.

Let's get riding.... I'll take you along from Hoorn to Medemblik, along the way passing through some villages that are as old as the castle at the end of the trip... early 1200's !!

Churches always make for good photos smile.gif

38002728-L.jpg

I stopped in the village of Midwoud (which means 'middle forest'; there is but one forrest in all of this part of the country, and it was planted after the 2nd WW.... but way back in time there must have been forrests here. Many of the little villages around are called 'something-forrest).

38002730-L.jpg

Another historic place... this is Twisk. The picture is not so special, I was looking for samples of houses for Steve Hebert wink.gif

The brick roads are funny, aren't they? (Especially when it rains and with wet leaves on them ... blush.gif ).

38002732-L.jpg

Between Twisk and Medemblik.... this is what most of the northern part of the province looks like. Still some cabbage on the fields, but most everything is gone by now...

38002736-L.jpg

The old Zuiderzee dike and road, almost in Medemblik now.....

38002739-L.jpg

This was one of the pumping stations (built in 1869) that would get the water out and gain us some land...... Now a steam engine museum !

38002741-L.jpg

And here... is the castle..... Or rather, what's left of it and restored. This is about 1/4 of the actual castle... I'll add some weblinks with history and pictures... hopefully I'll find one in English too.

38002744-L.jpg

Radboud Castle lies next to the harbour entrance..... and in the little harbor was this 'thing' !!! Wow ! Is it a schooner? (I am no expert). She was called 'Summertime'.... fittingly now that the summer is leaving us once more.... smirk.gif

Notice also the little old houses... all restored...

38002747-L.jpg

A 'sort' of history.. BMW exists for some time..... with ancient history.... wink.gif

38002748-L.jpg

In case of doubt..... yup, it was there.... <grin>

38002750-L.jpg

Some impressions of the immediate surroundings. The lake is the IJsselmeer, which you see in many of my photos. It is the former Zuiderzee.... when the castle was built and 'in action' this was basically a 'bay' of the North Sea.

38002754-L.jpg

A view on the castle. To the right is the main hall (knights would gather there), on the left is the place one of the 4 corner towers stood, the castle wall would run along the moat to the right. Three corner towers and connecting walls are gone, the main entrance tower is gone too..... frown.gif

38002756-L.jpg

38002758-L.jpg ]

When I was shooting pictures the sun and clouds were kind to me.... they helped me show where the name of my company comes from:

38002761-L.jpg

It was pretty windy as usual (I even used my earplugs for once !!!), so a great day for sailing. I was a bit envious of these people who came back from a great day on the water no doubt

38002765-L.jpg

One of the ugliest town halls that I know of.... the one in Medemblik at the end of Main Street.

38002767-L.jpg

I couldn't leave you without a picture of one of our mills, now could I? This one was used for grinding, not for pumping.

38002771-L.jpg

Medemblik seen from the 'outside'..... I am standing on a dike that wasn't there in the old days, enclosing one of the newer polders. That's the town hall again..... yechch!

38002773-L.jpg

A parting shot of the RT and the southern part of town, looking into the polder southwest.

38002777-L.jpg

I hope you liked my little tour.... here are some of the 'castle links' I found for you.

http://www.castles.nl/rad/rad.html

http://home.planet.nl/~dijkh287/kastelen/ukpag/meduk1.htm

http://www.mfannee38.freeler.nl/kasteel_radboud/nl_kasteel_radboud.html

http://home.planet.nl/~dijkh287/kastelen_nh/index-1.htm

Some in English, some just for piccies....

Kind regards,

Francois

Francois,

Nice pics as per usual .

What time of day were you out taking these .......... all the roads are empty ...or are they always like that ??

Steve

incredible

i ride all day long from my west coast of florida home, hoping to run into scenes such as these...

but, strangely enough i don't think it'll ever happen... unless i run into a field of 'shrooms along the way

crazy.gif

thanks, as always, for providing these wonderful dreamy tales.

greg

Francois, if I have never complimented you on your pics let me do it here. They are simply beautiful. I'm surprised you have time to ride at all with all the beautiful things around you to take pics of. Keep up the great work!

As usual, Francois...Well done. Bernadette and I are found of old churches (and like castles) have rich history and wonderful architectures.

I do have a couple of questions though. I can't get a sense for the distance among the various pictures (and castles).

And who pays for the maintenance of these castles?

Thanks again

Regards,

Mike O

Francois_Dumas

Thanks everybody for your very encouraging comments ! Really appreciated. smile.gif

I guess I often ride more 'for taking pictures' than for the 'ride'... or drive, or walk, for that matter. crazy.gifblush.gif

Mike, I've added some pictures for you smile.gif

Maintaining the castles (and semi-castles) is paid for the most part by private 'funds' or private individuals/families. There is a state subsidy in many cases, because these are monuments. So part of the cost is carried by us tax payers. I think it is worth it wink.gif

The first map shows The Netherlands and the arrow points at 'my place'.

The second has the route, from south to north and back. Arrows where I took pictures (2 villages/landscape, castle and finally the dike and parking).

38081868-L.jpg

38081869-L.jpg

Francois,

Wonderful ride report and pix--great weather too.

Don't you think the facade of the "ugly" town hall building looks like the one finger AdventureRider salute? I think it's kind of cute and completely out of character for the bucolic Dutch countryside. OTOH maybe I need more sleep.

Great eye and keep 'em coming.

Dave

Francois_Dumas

LOL ! I guess that's another way of looking at it. I still think it's ugly ! <grin>.

I looked it up.... the townhall was built in 1940, finished during the war. Knowing that Medemblik is the OLDEST town in the region (but had LOTS of bad luck in its existence) I think it deserved a better town hall..... something like the buildings I've found in other towns nearby....

38106579-L.jpg

38106584-L.jpg

38106587-L.jpg

wink.gif

Don't you think the facade of the "ugly" town hall building looks like the one finger AdventureRider salute?

OTOH maybe I need more sleep.

Great eye and keep 'em coming.

Dave

What Dave said.... er about the great eye & keeping them coming thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Francois_Dumas
grin.gifgrin.gif Thanks Eric.. for a minute there I was afraid you were going to like that 'ugly' building..... heheh ! smirk.gif

Archived