IGNORED

'89 R100RS question

Scoots

I've found an '89 R100RS for sale that appears to be in nice shape. I haven't checked it out yet, but I've requested photo's before I spend the road time of 6 hours to look it over. The fellow selling the R100RS (he bought it a little over a year ago and is keeping his '94 GS) is also selling a few other toys to fund his house remodeling project

Anyway, here are 2 photos that give you a look at the fuel tank, I've requested some more, and I hope they're coming.

The fuel tank shows those "rubber knee pads" that you find on some Airheads, but I've never seen them on an RS.

Did the '89 model have those rubber pads, or do you believe this is a replacement fuel tank from another model Airhead, or maybe the rubber pads were added to protect the tank?

Thanks for your expertise!!!

1989R100RSa.jpg

1989R100RSb.jpg

Looked at Max BMW microfiche and it doesn't appear that the knee pad was an option, nor does a quick scan of Google images show any examples.

That said, it wouldn't be out of the range of speculation that someone might add kneepad protection to avoid (or cover) the scratches that would ultimately appear there.

It would be good to hear from Paul Mihalka on this one...

From what I can see, the tank looks be an original example. The pads, however, were added, & were never an option on the /7-forward tanks.

To be sure it's an original type tank, look for a screw-in cap. If it's a flip-up, it's a /6 tank. I doubt though that's the case. From what I can see in the photos, it's too round on top to be an earlier model tank.

Thanks for the replies!

I've added 2 more pictures of the fuel tank area that I've just received.

The fellow said that the knee pads were on the RS when he bought it last year, along with the 1" risers on the handlebars. The RS is missing its rubber dashboard.

He also wanted me to be aware of the "typical RS headshake" when the bike is under deceleration. He mentions that his previous '87 R80, and another '89 R100RS, did the very same thing. Is this typical of these monolevers?

Again, thanks for your replies!

1989R100RSc.jpg

1989R100RSd.jpg

As said, the tank looks original with later added knee pads. The "head shake" when off throttle usually means loose steering head bearings.

too old to care
As said, the tank looks original with later added knee pads. The "head shake" when off throttle usually means loose steering head bearings.

Yes, only have to be loose a little bit to do this. Looks like a nice bike if the price is right.

• 2 weeks later...
HairyCannonball

I wouldn't call the head shake typical, I would call it the result of lack of proper maintenance.. It is usually caused by worn, or as Paul said, loose steering head bearings, could be caused by bent or misaligned fork tubes, bent wheel, bad wheel bearings, etc. The most probable cause is worn or notched head bearings which are easily replaced / adjusted. The only point I am trying to make here is that it can be fixed. Airhead riders don't have to put up with "typical" head shake. They can be rock stable when set up properly.

Archived